Does anyone use Dacron line???

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by kyelkhunter3006, Mar 28, 2008.

1. kyelkhunter3006

kyelkhunter3006 New Member

State:
    Ky
    Just wondering if anyone uses Dacron and what you think about it?

Thanks?

2. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    a lot of flyfishermen use dacron for backing, and some saltwater fishermen use it still. in freshwater, from what i have seen, you're more likely to find the superbraids.

3. mariofish

mariofish New Member

State:
    wv
    i dont no what it is:wink:

4. geojag

geojag New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Cortland makes dracon big game line. I use the 130# for droppers on trotlines. They have a large variety of lines available. I think some salt fisherman use it as well. You can see thier product at:
    http://www.cortlandline.com/catalog/braid.html

5. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I used it for years, it's nothing to be afraid of. A good friend suggested it because I was having trouble learning to use a bait caster. mono was to difficult. Know now that this was before the advent of braided lines. It's still a better value than braided of the same strength. I prefer mono now that I can handle it. lol:big_smile:

6. Stubby

Stubby New Member

State:
    Kansas, Ar
    I do, I got 1200 yards of 30lb Guidbrod G-6 trolling line. I use it in my Dipbait worms and mold it right into the worm as I pour them. But I also use it on a couple of my abu 5000s. and a couple of large closed face spinners for drifting. There is no stretch in it.

Attached Files:

7. swampratt

swampratt Member

State:
    oklahoma
    i love it ..and you can't find it much around here, i have a penn longbeach 67 that has been spooled with it since 1984. and it is like brand new

white with green slashes and 80 lb test....I spooled some onto my 6500c3 with no brakes and can cast with a 12' rod over 1/2 of it off...

i would like to purchase some before this next weekend...The mono's to me, seem to be going down hill developing memory quicker than they did 20 years ago..

and it floats , which makes drifting in current easier ...at least some of them float

8. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    I'm experimenting with it this year as a leader material. It's very soft... the thought is that a timid fish might be less likely to feel the line. And the extra thickness should help with abrasion resistance. It's still too early for me to say if it's working out that way or not.

9. kyelkhunter3006

State:
    Ky
    I like the no-stretch (it does have a tiny amount, like 3% or something) aspect of Dacron, and price wise, it's in between mono and superlines. I've been curious as to the abrasion resistance of the line. My problem with super braids is that they are just too thin if you ask me. If someone would make a braid that's, say, 20lb diameter with 40lb strength, or a 2:1 ratio, I'd be all over it. I know lots of people spool up with mono and then use a topshot of braid, but the point of spooling up a 100 or 150yds of mono so that I can put 150yds of ultrathin line on top of it is a waste of line and money IMO.

But, I just don't want to fish with 80lb test that's got a 17lb diameter, 1st reason being that I don't fish with 80lb tackle anyway, and secondly, most reels.rods that benefit from the ultrathin diameter (small baitcasters) aren't able to deal with the pressures that line like that puts on gear. Eventually, something is going to give, and I'd much rather it be the line than the rod or reel.

10. catfish_jordan

catfish_jordan New Member

State:
    Lincoln,NE
    never used it before but im sure its like superbraids.

11. badkarma

badkarma New Member

State:
    Oxford,Miss
    I've used prestretched 3/8 dia. Dacron line for jib sheats on a sailboat does that count??? :cool2:

12. kyelkhunter3006

State:
    Ky
    Ha ha, I guess it could. I don't think that I'd get very much of that line on my Garcia 7000 though. Of course, I wouldn't have to let anything run with the drag either......:cool2:

13. Stubby

Stubby New Member

State:
    Kansas, Ar
    For those of you that want to try it. Sportsmans Warehouse stocks it back in the service department and is called Trolling Line. All the way fron 15lb to 80lb test and it costs about 4 cents per yard. they sell it by the yard or will fill your reel for you.

14. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Dacron is a braid.Think woven "Polyester" threads because that is what it is,It was considered a modern braid when I first started using it in the early to mid 50's.We still had the natural thousands of years old Silk,Linen (made from Flax) and long staple Sea Island Cotton braids to fish with back then.Modern Braids are just more modern artificial WOVEN threads,no more,no less.

Mono is just a single strand of plastic in different sizes.Leave it to the Wall Street advertisers to come up with "Catchy"names to sell and the folks that don't know jump on the bandwagon like the bushing & ball bearing deal with reels that leave mechanics laughing.Cotton is a braid that has been around for thousands of years along with a few more.The same thing as with bushings that have been around for thousands of years as a bearing.

Some old hard core bait casting Bass fishermen still use Dacron on their Abu-Garcia & other bait casters and have been since the 40's.I have a uncle in his 80's who is still one of them to the best of my knowledge.He also claims to have very successfully fished every stream and river with Hand Grenades from Normandy to Berlin in WW2.Long Staple Sea Island Cotton braid was the line for making cast nets and trot lines because of it's strength.It is still a very good line for such IF you could find it.

A spool of Silk thread ordered from a sewing center and a size 18 to 22 hook is perfect for catching live bait for Crappie to Chain Pickerel fishing as I don't fish for bass.

I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

15. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    A guy I fish with has some on his big Penn Striper reel. I forget how long he said its been on that reel but it was like 10 or 20 years, forever basically. I've never seen it break but its only used with the big float and big live bait. I'm pretty sure it floats also. I gotta admit its really impressive stuff.

-Jim-

16. wneubauer

wneubauer New Member

State:
    McKinney, TX
    Ok, where would you buy this stuff? It sounds like something I would like to try, especially if I can fish it until I'm retired.....

17. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Buy on line at Bass Pro,Cabela's,etc. or at most any salt water tackle shop that spools saltwater game fish reels.

I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee