Does anyone use beef liver for catfishing?

Discussion in 'LOCAL OKLAHOMA TALK' started by bedweary, Nov 6, 2008.

1. bedweary

bedweary New Member

State:
    Tulsa,Oklahoma
    ...beef liver for catfishing? What sort of results do you get? I know a lot of people use chicken livers and do well on them, but I've always had trouble keeping them on a hook when casting from the bank ( any tips on that would be welcome, too). Seems to me that beef liver might be easier to hook & cast, and maybe fairly inexpensive. Thought maybe I'd leave it sitting in a warm place for a day or two to get nice and stinky for the blues. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks, BR

2. Guido

Guido New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Ive never tried beef livers but had moderate success with chicken livers. So if you try them and they work give some pics and a update of how they work. What part of Oklahoma do you live in?

3. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    I have used it with garlic salt on it . The bad thing about it everything likes it better then the cat fish. There is something about them chicken livers that drive them there cats crazy

4. dent60

dent60 New Member

State:
    kansas
    i have used beef liver in the arkansas river just north of ok.state line (3 miles to the house) with fair sucsess. nothing big 2-3 lbs. when i was a kid my grandpa took me and we used what the called beef melt we caught a lot of fish i thought the were big but now i realize they were 2-3 lbs. use the liver or melt if you can find it on edge of current seems to work best. as always good luck

5. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
  6. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    never had much luck on beef liver. go to the store and buy some raw chicken tenders. they aren't very expensive and you can cut them to the size you want. they stay on the hook and the cats love'em.

7. BAREFOOTFISHN

BAREFOOTFISHN New Member

State:
    SC
    HELLO I HAVE USED BEEF LIVER IN THE PAST WITH LITTLE LUCK AS FAR AS CHICKEN LIVER GOES I PUT THEM IN PANTY HOSE AND THEY STAY ON THE HOOK FOREVER

8. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Sorry to say....I have used beef livers several times and have never even got a bite. I use chicken livers and tear up some channel cats in the 2-8 lb range. I always use "fresh" livers. Never frozen!!!! I use a 2/0 trotline hook ( mustad ) and weave the liver on hooking it as many times as I can. It then takes a very smooth cast...not a whipping cast, but a smooth cast. Then I never take my eyes off of my rod tip. When I get that first nibble....I get ready for that next bite and then the tightening of the line...and the setting of the hook. I usually dont miss them if they are of keeping size.:cool2:

9. bedweary

bedweary New Member

State:
    Tulsa,Oklahoma
    I live in the Tulsa area and usually fish the Arkansas river between downtown and 71st street. I have not found any really dependable spots for catfish yet, but I don't give up easy. BR

10. recordbreakin1

recordbreakin1 New Member

State:
    texas
    MY DAD HAS ALWAYS USED BEEF LIVER ON HIS TROTLINES THAT AND WORMS ONLY.wE HAVE CAUGHT FISH FROM EATIN SIZE TO 100# FISH ON THEM MOSTLY BLUES.IT SEEMS IT TAKES A LITTLE LONGER FOR THE FISH TO PICK UP ON THE SENT THEN CHICKEN LIVERS BUT THEY HAVE ALWAYS WORKED GREAT FOR US I HAVE SEEN OUR TROTLINES PULLED UP WITH A FISH ON EVERY HOOK BEFORE BAITED WITH BEEF LIVER.wE CUT IT IN 2 TO 3 INCH PIECES AND IT STAYS ON THE HOOK REAL WELL.we JUST WENT FISHING THIS PAST WEEKEND I WAS USING MOSTLY SHAD AND MY DAD WAS USING HIS BEEF LIVER HE CAUGHT ONE THAT WENT ABOUT 50 TO 60#S AND HE CAUGHT 11 TOTAL AND I CAUGHT 6 FISH ON MY SHAD.i DON'T KNOW IT MAY BE THIS AREA BUT I WOULD GIVE THE BEEF LIVER A TRY ITS THE BEST BAIT YOU CAN GET FOR A DOLLAR BILL.

11. bedweary

bedweary New Member

State:
    Tulsa,Oklahoma
    Thanks to everyone for the replies! I bought a package of beef livers yesterday & tried them in the river, got a few good bites, but nothing hung on. The river was pretty low so there probably weren't alot of sizeable fish around. The beef liver was almost as hard to keep on the hook as chicken livers unless you find a tough band of fat to hook into. It was cheap enough, but I'd say worms are a better investment for catfishing, tho I've got some left and I'm gonna try them in the lake and see what happens.
    Thanks for the tip about using pantyhose, Heard of people doing it but I've never tried it, as I have always used live bluegills to fish for flatheads up until this past summer.
    Thanks again to everyone for your advice & suggestions. BR

12. fishnvince

fishnvince New Member

State:
    na
    I used it years ago. I had moderate success. I did like the fact that it stayed on the hook without having to tie it up in stocking fabric

13. bedweary

bedweary New Member

State:
    Tulsa,Oklahoma
    Took my leftover beef liver out to the lake (Bixhoma) a couple days ago but it was TOO WINDY_-_- to even tell if I was getting any bites so it was a wasted trip, except for the fact that I got reminded by the Bixby locals to buckle my seatbelt (to the tune of a $20 ticket- oops!). I've still got the beef liver in the bed of my truck, it should be pretty rancid by the time I head back that way tomorrow to pay my ticket ( being sure to BUCKLE UP before I leave the house :wink: ) and do some fishing.

I'll let you know my results, thanks again to everyone. BR

14. Garrett Cope

Garrett Cope New Member

State:
    Columbus Ohio
    I''ve fished many time with Beef,chicken and even pork liver. In my experience the beef liver attracts alot of attention and many nibbles but the catfish seem to pick it up and drop it alot. The Cats seem to be more certain about chicken liver and just take off with it. My theory is that chicken liver is softer and has less gristle. Chicken liver also retains it's scent longer. I usually replace chicken liver after about 30 minutes on the hook. Beef liver looks like gray shoe leather by that time. It loses all it's juice and blood and gets too tough. Pork liver is bloodier than either of the other two and has a similar consistency to beef liver and i've gotten a similar response from the fish: it attracts them like mad but they rarely take it and run. I've never had much of a problem casting liver. You just have to hook and wrap it multiple times and cast high and soft. The trick is to keep it on ice. Once it gets too warm and runny it's next to impossible to keep it on the hook without panty hose or something similar.

15. bedweary

bedweary New Member

State:
    Tulsa,Oklahoma
    I used the beef liver, alternating with chicken liver, and seemed to get better results with the chicken liver. I used the tip from George's video here: http://www.catfishtalk.com/?p=91 on using elastic thread to keep'em on the hook and it worked really well. (Thanks George). Didn't catch anything but the best parts of the lake for catfish were closed off for construction & repairs to the roads. I got bites with both varieties of liver but the chicken seemed to get more attention, just that nothing would hang on. Possibly my timing for setting the hook has been thrown off as I switched back to 30lb. monofilament line after using 50lb. braided line through the summer, and the stre-e-e-e-tch will take some getting used to again. Just need some practice to get the timing right.

I'm not ready to give up on beef liver just yet based on the catches some people have made with it. Right place, right time, I think it might work very well, and it is cheap enough.

Thanks to all who have replied, everyone's input is valuable to me. BR

16. loop

loop New Member

State:
    Newkirk,Oklahom
    My Dad use to use Beef liver alot and had good results.
    He would cut it in 1" x 3'' or 4" strips thencover it with Brown Sugar and let it sit in the sun for a day. He would take what was needed for the day then devide it up and freeze t for later use.
    Loop

17. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    I have never used Beef liver for bait but, I have used chicken livers and they work well.

I have heard that deer liver works well so while hunting this year I have saved some deer liver to give a try with come spring.

18. Boomer

Boomer New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I like to use chicken liver when I channel catfish, here is the way I rig up for it.

1. I use 17 lb test on my main line with a 1 to 2 oz egg sinker above a swivel. *this allows the weight to hit the water first*
    2. I use a 12-14 inch line from that to a 2/0 hook.
    3. I tie a 6 inch piece of 4-8 lb line to the eye of the 2/0 hook.
    4. I take a chunk of chicken liver and hook it 2 times, once thru the top section, then once thru the bottom section.
    5. I then take and wrap the 6 inch piece of 4-8 lb test around the chicken liver starting at the top of the hook and working down. Dont be afraid to cut into the chicken liver, after you get it wrapped up all the way down it will stay on the hook, and also cutting into the chicken liver releases more blood into the water. (do not tie or make a knot in the line while wrapping the liver).
    6. You can cast this pretty far, I have chunked it over 80 feet and it not come off. After casting, I reel up until i feel drag on the weight, then I release about 1 to 2 feet of line, this will allow the liver to drift naturally.

If you are fishing swift water, this set up is great, dont know where you are fishing, but I would try some crawdads, or hellgremites, if you can get them also. I use to fish the Arkansas while I live up north, and I killed the blues on crawdads there.