Does anyone use a stinger hook for catfish?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by neocats, Feb 3, 2008.

1. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    I was just surious as to how many people use a stinger rig when using large baits?

2. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I do sometimes when i use LARGE live chubs. I like to hook them through the roof of thier mouths to keep them alive. and if the chub is 8" or better I'll attach a smaller hook (like a 1/0) kahle or baitholder to the tail. i also run the line just under the skin on it's back to kinda hide it.

3. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Greer, SC
    Name:
    Pat Chaney
    This winter a buddy & I have started using stingers as on many trips it seemed like the fish were short-striking. Since we started using them, most of the fish have been caught by the 2nd hook. I rememebr on one trip, out of 11 fish caught, I believe that 9 were hooked on the stinger. By the way, we mostly drift fish.

4. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    When they are short striking, have you just tried one hook at the rear of the fish? Which way do you think works better?

5. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    Please post a pix of your stinger hook rig when using live bait.
    So when you hook your bait fish behind the dorsal like a lot of guys do where do you place the stinger?
    have a good one
    just

6. Reel_Blues

Reel_Blues New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I use stinger rigs sometimes on flatties dont really use it for blues.

7. MVFB52

MVFB52 New Member

State:
    Mt. Vernon, Iowa
    Do any of you use them on bank lines? I have heard of folks doing this and I have thought about it now and then when I come back to a clean hook...

8. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    When I use a stinger, front hook through the lips or nose of live or whole bait, second hook near the tail or end of bait. When using cut bait, top hook at front of bait and second hook in the rear of bait. hope this makes sense.

9. ArmyCatfish

ArmyCatfish New Member

State:
    Georgia
    i havnt realy ever tried it for cats. i have used it for salmon as well as when targeting big trout. they produce there is no doubt about it

10. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    I use stinger rigs everytime i'm out. I primarily use Skipjack Herring for bait, and 90 Percent of the time, I catch my fish on the stinger hook. I typically use a Carolina Rig with 60-80 Pound Ande Mono for a leader. I snell my first hook, then use a double trilene knot on my stinger. I have about 50 pretied stinger rigs so as to save time on the river and not waste valuable fishing time. My catch rate has sure gone up since I've made the switch to a stinger hook setup.

11. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Greer, SC
    Name:
    Pat Chaney
    Just like Buck does, when using herring or small white perch I put the top hook thru the nose or eyes, with the stinger out of the tail end (I cut the tail off to prevent the bait from spinning). When using fillets, top hook in front, stinger on bottom at the back. On large chunks, one hook at each corner, and no stingers with small chunks or perch heads.