Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
755 Posts
I've went thru a few of the Synergy's so far. they are good for awhile BUT! the line cuts into the bail after awhile n creates a groove next to the pin then snags the line when you cast. the bail is too soft of a metal to stand the line goin over it. but it'l be a good reel for awhile.

·
Registered
751 Posts
I used Cirrus from Wal Mart also and never had a problem. I got a deal on ones that came with extra spools. I kept braided line on one and mono on the other. I've since switched over to baitcasters, but not because of quality. For the money, Shakespeare can't be beaten.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I've got a Shakespere Combo 700 reel that i found with 25lb test line on it, works good for me. Only trouble i have with mine is that wiehn you cast it out it the bail wont flip over but other than that it works great. i have an Abu Garcia PS600 that i keep for a spare that i have never had any problems with either.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
thanks for all the responses. hopefully,i am going out this evening to try mine. hope to do well.

·
Registered
679 Posts
I have quite a few Shakespeare spinning reels from UL to MH that have done well for me over several seasons.

Third season so far for the MH and it pulled in a 35# spoonbill with no problems as all.

6 seasons is the best I have gotten so far for the UL. Just plain wore out.

Unfortunately, my tackle seems to get given away (one reason the ex-wife is the ex-wife) or stolen (only once three seasons ago) too often for a really good comparison.

·
Registered
581 Posts
i got an ultralight spinning reel thats from shakespeare i think its a president or sumthin like that. i used it for catfish once and MAN DO THEY FIGHT HARD WITH THAT!!!!!!!!!!:lol:

·
Registered
1 Posts
I got a shakesphere spinning reel from Walmart and it worked great. Not sure what kind it was but I caught several nice fish with it. I dont have it anymore though, it is in the bottem of the Great Miami River, LMAO.
unfortunately I recently bought 2 shakespeare reels and neither one last very long.I have used their reel for several years no problems and liked the reels. I more. I think they are junk.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts