Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i purchased a shakespeare cirrus (big water) spinning reel off of ebay. does anyone use one or have used one. i just lined it with berkley big game line(25 lb) but i haven't used it yet. it seems to have a smooth action but what do you all think about one?

·
Registered
9,740 Posts
I got a shakesphere spinning reel from Walmart and it worked great. Not sure what kind it was but I caught several nice fish with it. I dont have it anymore though, it is in the bottem of the Great Miami River, LMAO.

·
Registered
4,051 Posts
I have never used one bit Shakespeare has a good reputation in my book and most of their products, while not "top of the line", are very dependable. Hope your new reel works for you.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
I have an Alpha it seems pretty good. I think the 50 size is a little small though. It isnt bad for a budget reel though.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
tea, why is it at the bottom of the river? fish?

·
Registered
380 Posts
I have the alpha with 25lb big game line 80lb stainless swivel with a 50lb leader and caught a 40lb flathead with no prob :smile2:

·
Registered
96 Posts
For the past 4 years I've had an Alpha 2570 (biggest they made then) mounted on a 10' surf rod with 20# and another on an 8' boat rod with 30#. Both have fished hard, but worked very well and been trouble free. With a spare sppol for each, my line selection can cover about any situation.

As was said earlier ... keep it clean and lubed and it should last you a life time.

·
Registered
561 Posts
I recently bought a Shakespear Supreme Ultra light spinning combo for catching bullheads for bait and I have had nothing but problems with it. I had to return it 3 times!! The rod is fine and the reel is good looking but its a piece of junk. I had used shakespeare stuff for years and have always been satisfied with their stuff, but after this I am gonna think twice about buying anything from them again. I was so upset I emailed shakespeare to let them know they have probably lost a long time customer.

After saying all that maybe it was just this model of reels that are junk but I personally wont take the chance.

·
Registered
561 Posts
I recently bought a Shakespear Supreme Ultra light spinning combo for catching bullheads for bait and I have had nothing but problems with it. I had to return it 3 times!! The rod is fine and the reel is good looking but its a piece of junk. I had used shakespeare stuff for years and have always been satisfied with their stuff, but after this I am gonna think twice about buying anything from them again. I was so upset I emailed shakespeare to let them know they have probably lost a long time customer.

After saying all that maybe it was just this model of reel that are junk but I personally wont take the chance.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
I've not had much luck with Shakespear or, for that matter, Mitchell spinning reels. They've not held up. Partly, that may be because I either wade fish or fish out of a kayak and that means the reels wind up being dunked quite a bit. My best luck has been with Shimano, Daiwa, and Penn spinning reels.

·
Registered
5,703 Posts
Way back when I used spinning reels, I used shakespear Alpha reels, they were cheap, and would last a couple seasons, and handled some decent sized fish

·
Banned
818 Posts
gadzooks said:
I've not had much luck with Shakespear or, for that matter, Mitchell spinning reels. They've not held up. Partly, that may be because I either wade fish or fish out of a kayak and that means the reels wind up being dunked quite a bit. My best luck has been with Shimano, Daiwa, and Penn spinning reels.
Get you a few vintage ABU Garcia spinning reels and you will never have that problem again.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Just bought a Synenergy last week. Tried it out Friday night. Handled the 8# channel real well.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts