Does Anyone Use A Shakespeare Spinning Reel?

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by kycatman01, Jul 1, 2006.

1. kycatman01

kycatman01 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    i purchased a shakespeare cirrus (big water) spinning reel off of ebay. does anyone use one or have used one. i just lined it with berkley big game line(25 lb) but i haven't used it yet. it seems to have a smooth action but what do you all think about one?

2. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    I got a shakesphere spinning reel from Walmart and it worked great. Not sure what kind it was but I caught several nice fish with it. I dont have it anymore though, it is in the bottem of the Great Miami River, LMAO.

3. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I have never used one bit Shakespeare has a good reputation in my book and most of their products, while not "top of the line", are very dependable. Hope your new reel works for you.

4. field989

field989 New Member

State:
    east central indiana
    yep..

i got their ultra light

i love it
    it works great.. hasnt missed a beat
    its great!!!!!

5. ohiohawghunter45067

ohiohawghunter45067 New Member

State:
    Trenton, Ohio
    shakespeare cirrus is a good reel. just maintain them and keep it clean should last you a lifetime.

6. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    I have an Alpha it seems pretty good. I think the 50 size is a little small though. It isnt bad for a budget reel though.

7. kycatman01

kycatman01 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    tea, why is it at the bottom of the river? fish?

8. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    I have an ALPHA and I run 20# Big game on it and it has given no problems with fish up to 20#.

9. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    I run 20lb cajun line on my alpha as well. What size is yours?

10. miichael

miichael New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I have the alpha with 25lb big game line 80lb stainless swivel with a 50lb leader and caught a 40lb flathead with no prob :smile2:

11. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    I think the biggest size is 50 I pulled an 8lb channel out with no problem except my reel wasnt in the seat tight.

12. jailcop2

jailcop2 New Member

State:
    iowa
    I just caught a 10lbs,er on my alpha lastnight . I was great .
    Good Luck
    Brian

13. Pogo

Pogo New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    For the past 4 years I've had an Alpha 2570 (biggest they made then) mounted on a 10' surf rod with 20# and another on an 8' boat rod with 30#. Both have fished hard, but worked very well and been trouble free. With a spare sppol for each, my line selection can cover about any situation.

As was said earlier ... keep it clean and lubed and it should last you a life time.

14. rushing

rushing New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I recently bought a Shakespear Supreme Ultra light spinning combo for catching bullheads for bait and I have had nothing but problems with it. I had to return it 3 times!! The rod is fine and the reel is good looking but its a piece of junk. I had used shakespeare stuff for years and have always been satisfied with their stuff, but after this I am gonna think twice about buying anything from them again. I was so upset I emailed shakespeare to let them know they have probably lost a long time customer.

After saying all that maybe it was just this model of reels that are junk but I personally wont take the chance.

15. rushing

rushing New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I recently bought a Shakespear Supreme Ultra light spinning combo for catching bullheads for bait and I have had nothing but problems with it. I had to return it 3 times!! The rod is fine and the reel is good looking but its a piece of junk. I had used shakespeare stuff for years and have always been satisfied with their stuff, but after this I am gonna think twice about buying anything from them again. I was so upset I emailed shakespeare to let them know they have probably lost a long time customer.

After saying all that maybe it was just this model of reel that are junk but I personally wont take the chance.

16. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    I've not had much luck with Shakespear or, for that matter, Mitchell spinning reels. They've not held up. Partly, that may be because I either wade fish or fish out of a kayak and that means the reels wind up being dunked quite a bit. My best luck has been with Shimano, Daiwa, and Penn spinning reels.

17. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Way back when I used spinning reels, I used shakespear Alpha reels, they were cheap, and would last a couple seasons, and handled some decent sized fish

18. Swampy

Swampy New Member

State:
    Fl.
    Get you a few vintage ABU Garcia spinning reels and you will never have that problem again.

19. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    Its a 2560P Its bad to the bone on a 7' custom rod.

20. squirtspop

squirtspop New Member

State:
    Glencoe, Arkansas
    Just bought a Synenergy last week. Tried it out Friday night. Handled the 8# channel real well.