Does anyone use a bobber on their leader?

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by iabowhunter, Apr 30, 2008.

1. iabowhunter

iabowhunter New Member

State:
    South East Iowa
    I bought some small slip bobbers at Wal-Mart today thinking that maybe I could "float" the bait off of the bottom of the river. Does anyone do this? Do you use any kind of a stop or just let the bobber float up to the eye of the hook. If you have pictures, please post them.

Thanks for any ideas!
    Phil

2. Cgoyette

Cgoyette New Member

State:
    South Caro
    This is a summertime must on Santee Cooper. We use a float for driftin....dragin a bait suspended by a float.

use the opnes with a plastic PEG about 3 inches long or if your using big bait the 4 inch floats. hook to weight is about 24 inches and the bober is about 7 inches up from the hook. I'll post some pics in the sc res section later this weekend.

Curt

3. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    You betcha, use them more times than not. Just like you said, I take the cheap foam ones and cut a slit down one side (so you can remove with out cutting line) and use the little plastic stop pins, placement depends on a few things like bait, current, weight amount, but YES it works very well.

4. iabowhunter

iabowhunter New Member

State:
    South East Iowa
    Thanks guys. Now I have some ideas to play with!!

5. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    i use them when the bite is slow

6. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    I use them drifting so my bait isn't dragging on the bottom. I pin them about 4 inches above the hook.

7. DaveHufford

DaveHufford New Member

State:
    Washington
    I have started using what we call "Okie Drifters" to float the bait. Okie Drifters are commonly used, out here, when drift fishing for steelhead. That was my original experience growing up. For steelhead, they serve as more of an attractor, than for the purpose of floating the bait. Typically colored flourescent reds or pinks, to look like roe.

When I'm fishing for catfish in the Snake River, Washington State, the bottom of the river is basalt rock. Regulation small size basalt rock, is 18" across the narrow or better. One day the light went on, and I thought of all the time my bait must spend wedged in between rocks on the bottom where the fish couldn't get at it. I started using two of the 5/8-3/4" diameter luminescent Okie Drifters just above my bait, on the 18-24" leader. I started catching more fish. The fish can see the bait floating off the bottom. Using the Okie Drifters has become a standard practice for me on cats.

8. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I dont use floats on my leaders, because I use a three way swivel rig.

9. waynesburgjay

waynesburgjay New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I threw one one on the other day when the water was up in the river just to keep the junk (leaves) off the line and bait. I was using a slip rig, and put the bobber about 8 inches above the bait. It kept a lot of the leaves off.

10. Junior42

Junior42 New Member

State:
    Catlettsburg, KY
    I am going to try it the next time I go out.

11. joesf

joesf New Member

State:
    Bloomington IL
    I use 10 pound test mono tie a bead to that then put a small slip cork on then cut line to about 18" and tie on a small swivel clip. Then if I get a few decent hits but miss them I attach it to the eye of my hook and whala.