Does Anyone Think the Ohio river

Discussion in 'INDIANA RIVERS TALK' started by Jadkins, Feb 12, 2009.

1. Jadkins

Jadkins New Member

State:
    Connersville, I
    Does anyone think the river will be any good to fish this weekend or not i know its up i was always told its best to fish on the rise just wanted to know if anyone else thought about going Let me know what you all think??:eek:oooh:

2. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    to muddy and to much debris right now.... what area of the ohio do you fish??

3. Jadkins

Jadkins New Member

State:
    Connersville, I
    lawrenceburg down to Madison

4. nitemare_63

nitemare_63 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    i have heard alot on fishing when the river is on the rise but i think there will be too much debris and the current is most likely too strong

5. bigcatkev

bigcatkev New Member

State:
    indiana
    Are you a boat or bank fisherman? Depending on how high it is there are always places to get out of the current in that area. I fish the same area and it can be great in high water. Be careful.

6. brew1961

brew1961 New Member

State:
    West Virgi
    I fish the Ohio(Pike Island Pool) in the northern panhandle of West Virginia. We just had a warm spell and the river is high with tons of debris floating down the river. Maybe just inside of a tributary feeding into the river from the bank would be a good spot. I can't wait to get out! Good Luck, Tim

7. tswebb71

tswebb71 New Member

State:
    So. IL
    Find you a current break and keep your bait out of the lettuce!!:wink:

8. whiteriverbigcats

whiteriverbigcats New Member

State:
    Indiana
    If you make it out, Good Luck and let us know how you do

9. Jadkins

Jadkins New Member

State:
    Connersville, I
    Well Thanks For all the in put I went out fishing to day by the house brookville lake fished from 4 to 10 and didnt do any good maybe next time if i make it to the Big O it will be sunday and i will let you all Know how they bit or dont bit O i will be on a boat for the guy who asked

10. Jadkins

Jadkins New Member

State:
    Connersville, I
    i didnt get to make it out wife said i had to do stuff Sorry guys :eek:oooh: maybe next time

11. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    thats the hard part when the water is up...

12. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    i am going to hit the ohio river myself this year rick

13. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    I am not around so I dont know exactly how it looks. But I have fished it when it's at a higher level than now and done good. I grew up in Rising Sun so I'm pretty familiar with that area. A couple spots to try, the mouth of arnolds creek below Rising Sun is always good this time of year. I fished it in January and we hit about 20 cats in a couple hours. But that can be a bad area for debri as it's the start of that big outside bend. If debri isnt too bad head to Grants Creek. Big cats hang around the mouth in the winter, but the debri there can be horrible. There are two main spots I fish when the water is up this high this time of year, the best for numbers is the power plant on down river from Grants Creek. It is on the inside bend so usually no debri, even when the river is blowing out. There is a big drop off out from it about 25 yards. If you keep your eyes open you can go in and tie up to the barge tie ups. Just be careful and if any barge looks like it wants in there get the heck outa the way! But big cats can be caught by dropping straight down on the backs of these and then casting a couple rods to the front of the one downstream from you can produce too. My other favorite spot is several miles upriver. Head upriver, past Rising Sun and towards the big island. Fish the indiana side DOWNRIVER from the island. most of the debri usually gets pushed to the kentucky side. There is a nice ledge (goes from about 15 feet to 30 feet with stumps all along it) there that you can mark. Also, really keep your eyes out for any differences in current. The current break will usually be around that ledge and those big blues will usually (not always) stack up on that current break. Fished a tourney last year in febuary with the river really high and we weighed in over 100 pounds in our 5 fish from that spot.

There are some ideas for around Rising Sun, but becareful of that debri!

Let us know if you hook a monster!

14. Jadkins

Jadkins New Member

State:
    Connersville, I
    I plan on trying to go down this weekend if the wifes ok with it i will let everyone know Thanks

15. Ulikedew

Ulikedew New Member

State:
    Georgetown IN
  16. tswebb71

tswebb71 New Member

State:
    So. IL

Sorry bout your luck Justin. I think we all have felt your pain a time or ten!!LOL:wink:

17. Jadkins

Jadkins New Member

State:
    Connersville, I

yea i would reather her do it now beside when the fishing gets good :tounge_out:

18. rollinrooster69

rollinrooster69 New Member

State:
    indiana
    if the water is high fish it man

19. Jadkins

Jadkins New Member

State:
    Connersville, I

I am going to try to go next week end i think it will be back to normal

20. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN

Fish it while its high! A high river is better than a falling river! Those fish can straight up disappear when it's falling. It amazing the lock jaw they can get. I have a couple of other 'secret' spots that produce alot of 40-60 pound blues so let me know if you are heading out and I'll help you out any way I can!

Tight Lines,
    Max