Does anyone still use treble hooks

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by LEROYDOZOIS, Jun 27, 2008.

1. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona
    i got a bunch of trebles that i got and never used.... i even have a box of 50 3/0 trebles that i picked up at a garage sale for $1.50

okay i know that trebles are the worst hook to use because they can kill off a fish if you have a line faliure but ive seen rigs on the web that are for PIKE or something and there were about 3 "stinger" trebles so i figure some of you still use them.....

i took a piece of cut bait and made the treble look like a big ball of flesh

i posted a thread when i made trebles sponges for dip bait and i used trebles and i keep all my fish... suprisingly i didnt get outcasted from the BOC :smile2::smile2::smile2:

i think ill try the 3/0 thing when i tightline...:eek:oooh: you got to catch them to get them in the frying pan :wink:

2. DLB-in-GR

DLB-in-GR New Member

State:
    MI
    I think trebles are great if I am planning to keep all my fish. Not so great if I am catching tiny fish or big fish that I wish to release, as with dip bait on a dip worm the fish like to swallow the hook and its impossible to get back out. But with Sonny's I rarely have a monster or a fish that isn't a keeper. Now the problem I have with circles and dip bait is that the fish will run with the bait and then drop it without hooking himself. I have caught fish with circles that way, but if they are biting good I prefer to hold my rod and cross their eyes when I get a bite. I get lots of fish in the lip with trebles, only the occasional fish swallows the bait so I just cut the line and tie a new one on. With a live bluegill I always use a big circle hook, set that rod in a holder, the fish seem to hit that bait harder and I haven't missed one yet.

3. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Never use them ,dont need them to catch catfish ! :crazy:

4. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Never.....ever.....ever...... do I use trebles!!!!!!:crazy:

5. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona
    MABY ILL SELL THEM AND BUY ME SOME KAHLES

ILL KEEEP MY TREBLES FOR STRIPERS.... BECAUSE THERE BASS:smile2:

6. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    I still use trebles when I fish liver or dip baits. I dont mind because I keep most of what I catch and I've never caught any big cats on liver or dip. I use j or circle hooks for the other baits. I dont get out much so I keep more then I release.

7. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    The only treble hooks I have are on bass and striper lures.

8. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona
    THATS Y I USE #2 TREBLES THEN LIVE BAIT FISHING..... IM THINKING ABOUT USING KAHLES FOR THAT TOO

9. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    i have a few in my boves. somtimes they are handy in ponds where i take my boys fishing. then i use dough baits. but 99% of the time i srick to my circles.

10. bobby-catfishing

bobby-catfishing New Member

State:
    Highland Villag
    I use treble hooks almost exclusively when using dip bait or punch bait.

11. massa_blake

massa_blake New Member

State:
    Texas
    I dont use trebles I have been using circles for a while now and I have not looked back.

12. Guns & Cockpits

Guns & Cockpits New Member

State:
    California
    For the most part, I use circle hooks and octopus hooks for catching catfish. Whether I'm keeping them or not, they work as well as trebles anyway, so it's better that I give myself the option.

I do, however, use treble hooks for trout fishing with power bait. I tried fishing power bait with a regular hook, but it just didn't work so well.

13. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    I will use a treble hook when there are jet skiers in the area....
    JK..

* Have you seen the 20/0 treble for sale on Catfish connection?
    http://catalog...................com/
    Item Number: IMTH20/0

14. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona
    dont knock them..... those are good to prevent gutters

:tounge_out::wink::smile2::confused2::sad2::cool2::angry::big_smile::crazy::embarassed:

15. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona

a guy here in havasu got ripped off his ski and had a 10/0 treble imbeded in his side ..... there were 2 guys using the hooks and something like 200 lb snagging like.... they thought you could snag striper off the bottem of the lake :confused2::sad2::cool2:

16. Guns & Cockpits

Guns & Cockpits New Member

State:
    California
    Is that even legal? It's unquestionably stupid, especially on a lake as heavily populated as Havasu is, but is it legal to snag fish like that in AZ?

That must have been painful as all giddy up.

17. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    I was joking.
    ~ But what was that jet ski guy doing at the bottom of lake havasu?? Sounds like the guy with the snaggin rig saved his life.. lol..

YES, SNAGGING IS ILLEGAL IN AZ.

18. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    But snagging jet skiers has a season, and you need to purchase tags.. lol..

19. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona

early in the summer its liegal to snag bait fish

the 2 guys split after they realized the thing tugging on his pole is a not a fish......

someone got the plate and a parametic notified the cops..... guy didnt even make it home and they got him

the nastiest thing about that was the fach that thwe treble was like a stinger treble so the barbs were close to 2 inches long and they had ( winged out barbs ) i think they called that ( the barbs were really fat )