Does Anyone Still Use DAM Quick Reels?

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by festus, Aug 13, 2009.

1. festus

festus New Member

I have one I got for my 16th birthday in 1969. IT STILL WORKS! I've never done anything to it except clean it. It's a DAM Quick 220, probably one of the best reels made in it's day. It's been through at least 3 or 4 rods, I have it now on a South Bend rod, I use 10 pound test and have taken really good care of it and still use it occasionally. I hear there was a DAM Quick 330 which was a saltwater version.

Any comments or experiences with these reels would be appreciated. They also had a DAM Quick 110 which was ultralight. I wouldn't mind owning one of those, along with the 330.

2. rrssmith

rrssmith New Member

State:
    Bakersfield
    i have one, dont use it. It was my grandfathers

3. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Never seen one, but sounds like a dam fine reel! :wink:

Bill in SC

4. festus

festus New Member

Everytime you mention DAM Quick to an innocent bystander, they think you're cussing. :big_smile: These reels were made in Germany. They were a cut above the old Mitchell 300 reels that were so popular way back then.

5. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Sounds like a dam sweet reel to me!:smile2:

6. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    iv bid on some dam reels before but didnt win. heard they were good and sence i like to try new gear thought id try one but couldnt get a hold of one of those dam reels for what i was wanting to pay.

7. LOWCOUNTRY CATMAN

LOWCOUNTRY CATMAN New Member

State:
    sc
    They are dam good.I have the 330 and it is an awesome reel.I dont use it anymore as it is one of the last items I have from the childhood days fishin with the old man.But,I could take it fishin tomorrow for sure and it would work fine.

they go pretty high on Ebay,thats for sure.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2009
  8. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    I have what I think is a 220. It was my dad's reel. He loved it. It doesn't work and I can't find parts for it. They were very good reels in their day. I'd just about bet this was bought about 69 too. But I mostly have Garcia Mitchell reels for spinning reels. Not too many though, probably about 40 or so. Just enough to fish with. LOL

9. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    My dad had several and loved them.I have one left from those days.I dont know that they were better than the Mitchells but they were good.Still have several Mitchells in perfectly fine operating condition.I see the Dams on E-bay occasionally and they get snapped up pretty quick.:big_smile:

10. festus

festus New Member

I don't use my DAM Quick very often, but I carry it with me at times. They have a unique sound. Once this spring a fisherman walked up and was fishing several yards below me on some rip rap. I cast the Quick out and when the bail closed he says something like, "That sounds like a DAM Quick, I ain't heard that sound in years."

Last edited: Aug 13, 2009
  11. LOWCOUNTRY CATMAN

LOWCOUNTRY CATMAN New Member

State:
    sc
    The 330 is a hoss reel for sure.The Mitchell 302 was as well.Both great reels.I was weaned on them in the late 60s to early 70s.That and the Ted Williams 530 thru 560 baitcasters.

12. festus

festus New Member

Wow, Ted Williams reels. I don't think I ever owned one but had one of the Ted Williams baseball gloves and a baseball bat. Hey Lowcountry, who sold Ted Williams products? Was it Montgomery Ward's catalogs or Sears? I used to pick up the Sears and Montgomery "wish books" and daydream and pick out an item off of every page in there I'd like to have.

13. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    I believe it was Sears Festus.I could pick out the sound of a Dam or Mitchell bail closing in my sleep.I still think the Mitchell 300 and 308s were the sexiest looking spinning reels ever made.Nothing hasd ever surpassed that classic design.:big_smile:

14. Spider

Spider New Member

State:
    Hamburg, PA
  15. festus

festus New Member

Yeah, someone stole my old Mitchell 308 ultralight reel on a Lew's Speed Stick Brush Buster one day out of my smoke house this summer. I replaced a while back with one of the new Mitchell 308 combos. It's nowhere near the same quality. No pushbutton quick remove spool and the line has a tendency to wrap around the lower section of the spool. Oh well, what do you expect for a combo less than 50 bucks. At least I still have a good Mitchell 300 that's been retired. An old Mitchell 300 is almost a saltwater reel nowadays.

16. snakeman76

snakeman76 New Member

State:
    Tallahassee, Fl
    I got up early one dam morning and grabed my old dam reel and cheap dam wal-mart rod and went to the dam to catch some dam fish well a big dam catfish grabbed my dam bait which I caught at the dam with my dam reel and my dam cheap rod and the dam catfish broke my dam cheap wal-mart rod at the dam that had a dam reel on it :smile2: sorry I could not help it:wink:

17. festus

festus New Member

Snakeman, that's what happens when you buy a dam ole cheap rod & reel from Walmart.

18. festus

festus New Member

At least this message board has some good censors. On another local board, all my posts were deleted about my DAM Quick reel. They also deleted any posts which included Dick's Sporting Goods. :crazy:

19. thunderchicken

thunderchicken New Member

State:
    Yuma Az
    i have one of the 220's. It is very smooth and works perfectly. It is as stated very similar to the Garcia Mitchel 300 which I really like and have several of. The Quick reel just needs a little tlc once in a while and works like new, never a problem with it.

:cool2: