Does Anyone Still Use Cane Poles for Anything at All?

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by festus, Oct 3, 2009.

1. festus

festus New Member

I only use them in the creek in my backyard for catching bait. With a good cured light cane pole about 10' or 11' long, I can pull bream, shiners, chubs, and suckers out of there. The creek is about 25' wide and 5-1/2' down in the deepest section, but averages about 2' to 3'.

Every now and then you'll see some Old Timer on the lake crappie fishing from a boat with a cane pole. If you're like me, a cane was your first fishing pole.

2. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Yes, It's what I started with,,,

A friend of mine had a 2-piece cane pole he's gotten at Wally world, and we used them for getting bait,, was a Hoot!!

3. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    A 12 to 14 foot cane pole was the weapon of choice when I crappie fished in the Chicahominy River, North of Ft. Eustis, VA. The river, below the dam, was just about 13' on the average. We fished 12' deep. In January. Had to break ice to get to the channel, then downstream to the first bend. Man, was that fishing good.

4. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    The thoughts of a cane pole brings back fond memories. That was all I had to use until I was about fifteen years old. They did the trick too. Today I don't even know of any cane breaks to cut them from, and haven't seen any for sale for a long time. Maybe it is because I was not looking for any. We use to buy and cut Calcutta Cane to make rods for snagging. Don't even know if these can still be purchased.

5. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    They make some good frog gigs too!! :eek:oooh:

6. playin4funami

playin4funami New Member

State:
    Saronville Ne.
    I've got a couple in the garage that the kids catch me bait with sometimes!

7. SouthGADan

SouthGADan New Member

State:
    Lyons, GA
    Hehe, I've caught a few cats on them way back; also broke a few that way. :smile2::smile2::smile2:

This summer, I'd bring one along for panfish incase my spincaster went out. I never needed it, but my dad used it a few times. The last time he did, the knot on the end came loose, so it's not been used since.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2009
  8. festus

festus New Member

When I seriously fished with cane poles, I always fastened a homemade tip on the end of the pole and ran my line down to the end of the pole and taped it every foot or so in case the cane broke I'd still have a chance.

9. fmb

fmb New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I have a "sunday pole" 13ft it's just a break down cane pole...I only use it in spots I can't cast...like a nice log jam...dipping for small channels...

10. Salthart

Salthart New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    You see all the adds saying how much "feel" this or that graphite or boron etc rod has. And that may be true. But they don't come close IMO to the feel of a light bite on a 10 foot (or longer) cane.

If the crappie are shallow enough that you can reach them with a cane, Give it a try and see just how much better it works when the strike is light. Or better yet, Add a reel and a number of cheap eyes. It don't have to cast much per say so it doesn't take much.