Does anyone still cane pole fish?

Discussion in 'Misc Fishing Tackle Talk' started by kkyyoottee, Aug 29, 2007.

1. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I still use a canepole and my kids and wife make fun of me!!! I had a 40 year old 10' cane pole till a bass snapped it!!! The other night I hooked into a monster cat with my new collapseable one!! I can say monster cause my wife grabbed line and it escaped right at edge of boat:eek:oooh:!!

2. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    you know i do. thing is, i only use it for bream and crappie action. a 2 # bass on a canepole, now that is fun!

3. iam2hi2flyinky

iam2hi2flyinky New Member

State:
    kentucky
    yep i do great for a lake i go to and to catch lots of bluegill fast, my favorite bait. crappie season is good to. look on the kentucky affield website thers is a video of a guy useing a 48 ft pole has to use a roller table to bring it in, this guy works hard for his fish

4. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Get me one of those suckers !!! I could make me 4 !!!:smile2:

5. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    You know that she will do everything in her power to keep you from being successful in anything that she is ridiculing.It is the nature of the species.You are lucky that she did not think of breaking your pole.The thought will come to her sooner or later.You might have to fish with a 12 foot piece of re-bar for a pole.Even that will fail if she is determined.I wish you the best of luck.It sounds like you will need it.Poles are habit forming.I am sitting here looking at my old Lew's Bream buster that started it all for me and my BnM Little Jewel that soon followed.They were 'New Fangled"stuff at the time as cane poles were still the most popular pole.I also have 3 old South Bend collapsible poles.I have a no idea how old any of them are.Some may very well be 40 years old.Half a dozen collapsible along with dozens & dozens of cane poles have come and gone.I also have 9 assorted newer(10 years old or less) ones with reel seats,guides and eyes.BnM,Zebco and Shooting Star in 9 to 20 ft lengths.I think these are the best of both worlds.Great for fishing over that log or the middle of that log pile.Easy to carry along till needed and can work with any reel though I find open faced and trigger spin reels worked best for me.Only a long pole or rod can give you directional control away from the boat.I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

6. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    linky-dinky, Eric?

7. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    I love to fish with one every now and then.To me it returns my soul to the purity of the fishing essence itself.One man, one pole,one fish.Simpler idyllic fishing days, often on the bank of the nearest crick in range of feet or bicycle.Some self dug worms or captured grasshoppers for bait and no particular quarry in mind other than a fish.Not one single care in the world other than those tiny outward bound ripples centered on our cork.A real cork not some plastic creation.Sometimes made from the cork to of a discarded whiskey bottle or if you were rich a store bought round cork that may have cost 2 for 5 cents.One of the rites of passage for a boy was the first time your dad stopped at the old bait store for some minnows and told you to pick yourself a cane pole out of the gigantic tub out front.WOW what a task!!!!I'm sure I tried each one before I found the "pole".Dads had a lot of patience in those days hehehehehehe.The fact that the bait store had the coldest beer in town helped some I'm sure.That would be another rite of passage of course,the first taste of beer with your dad, but that came much later.I sure do miss those warm days just lazing away on the bank waiting for something to bite.My dad dozing away in the sunshine.while I studied both our lines trying to will a giant bass or crappie to latch on.My great Grandma fished with a cane pole all her life and caught just as much as the rest of us rod and reelers.She used 2 hooks one little one with worms and a bigger one with a minnow.Her theory was the little fish would be attracted to the worms and the bigger fish like bass would be attracted to them and then see the minnow.I can promise you this if, grandma and her cane pole had been with Jesus for the loaves and fishes miracle it would be called the Miracle of the Loaves.!!!!!!:big_smile::smile2::eek:oooh:She could have provided the fish.:smile2:I think every parent should start their youngens out with a cane pole.:big_smile:

8. lilgriz

lilgriz New Member

State:
    Aurora, KY
    I remember the days of the cain pole. Me and my buddy used to dig a few worms, get a roll of string, a box of hooks, and walk down to the creek. There was a patch of cain that grew out there and we would walk through it until we found the perfect one. Then we would just have the time of our lives catching little creek chubs. I haven't used a cain pole in years, but I have a couple in the garage. Just might take them with me next time I go fishing!

9. mazdabob

mazdabob New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, IA (Omaha)
    my son and I just bought a couple cane poles a couple weeks back, we've been having a blast with them. I grew up with rod and reels so this was a totally different experience.

10. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    That's how many I am gonna give ya Jim, when the rep cycle comes up on you again. Thanks a lot, John.

11. iam2hi2flyinky

iam2hi2flyinky New Member

State:
    kentucky
  12. kingdawes

kingdawes New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I have only used a cane pole one time. It's funny this thread is brought up though because I was channel cattin' at a little park lake right by my house and this old man (about 80) came down and was talkin to me. I was telling him that the bite was slow on blue gills I had only caught a couple. He proceeded to ask me if it would bother me if he came down and fished next to me. When he got down there he had an extendable cane pole. It had a bobber and a rubber worm. I caught 4 or 5 right off the bat nice fish too. I was suprised

13. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Back when I was stationed at Little Rock AFB in the late 60s, and bass fished :0a13: I often used a cane pole; but I had a couple of Calcutta cane poles I brought back from Florida. Later, I ran across a 12' 2-piece stout fiberglass pole, and I bought it for $10 with the intention of using it for bass fishing. As it turned out, I never used it for anything, and I've still got it, waiting to be made into a catfish pole with eyes, reelseat, and everything.

14. CatFishingFinatic

CatFishingFinatic New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Ok, for the record, I don't really make fun of the cane pole, I make fun of him dragging fish in on it. You really should see it, it is really a comical event LOL. It is funny to watch him when he gets a hit on his rod and reel and that cane pole at the same time. He just can't keep up sometimes LOL. I don't have anything against cane poles, I used to use one myself when I was younger. But they are a riot to watch LOL.

15. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    You tell folks that some fishermen [n Florida use to catch Jew Fish (Goliath Grouper for the politically correct folk)from 20-150+ lbs.and big Snook on Calcutta poles (the Strongest,toughest,most prized of the Cane or poles made from Bamboo) they think you are lying.Someone doing a figure 8 for Snook with a Lure on a short lined Calcutta pole was a familiar sight at night on the Naples pier.2-6 huge Snook would lay up side by side in various places at times under the pier.I once saw and counted 24.Seldom would they take a bait.Small to large Jew fish were occasional visitors.Rope size line was used on these big tough poles.The prized poles were around 2 or more inches at the Butt.You pointed the Pole at the big fish and let them tow the boat until they tired out.You would break the pole every time if you tried to play them like you would do a crappie.Had to fish from a boat for the big fish.A night spent just looking on the Naples Florida pier is a fisherman's dream.Don;t ever turn down the chance if you get it.From the shallows to the deep end is constantly changing and you never know what you will see.Now if you have no patience,forget it.I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

16. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    YES SIR, use one about 2-3 times a month at the pond love it too, have a couple 12-14' poles up stairs right now just waiting to be cleaned up ahped and sanded a bit and some line added to them...LOL, lots of fun.

17. Duckpoor

Duckpoor New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I just spent some serious time on the Naples Pier last spring.. Cool place with tons of History and some fun folks that are apart of that pier. The Pier is more than a collection of wood, steel and concrete .. It has a life of its own.. Never even thought about all the Fishin that used to go on.

Cane Poles and Granddad.
    My Grandfather used to bring me Cane from Kentucky when I was a boy. Taught me to clean, scrape and straighten . Had a rambler wagon and he showed up with a bunch strapped to the pasenger side.
    Those spares kept me in red worms spit shot bobbers and wire hooks at the meridosia bait shop. I am guessing that ole man had a hundred poles for folks to sort thru, but he always was ready to trade me one of two more for what I needed.
    Wish I knew that mans name.. Sir, was all I ever called him. Had no idea how good he was to us kids.
    Long time ago....

Thanks for the memory Jog.. everyone.

18. catfisherman60

catfisherman60 New Member

State:
    Greenwood AR.
    When I was little, Dad and I used a cane pole. But has been 40 years ago.:eek:oooh:

19. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    My wife's Aunt gave me this framed picture.. I call it PeeWee and me Fishing. :big_smile:

Sorry for the picture quality, was having hard time taking a picture of a picture :embarassed:

Attached Files:

20. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Peewee, do you remember when, if you wanted a good surf rod, you picked out a good calcutta cane pole, put some eyes on it, attached an old knuckle buster reel, and went to flinging bait? And when I started fishing on partyboats, almost half the people used handlines, rather than rods & reels.