does anyone start fishing in deep water for flathead catfish

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by catfishrus, Mar 2, 2006.

1. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    i was just wondering if anybody started fishing deep water for flatheads when the water starts warming. i fished a spot last year and done real good with the flats in deep water after sept. this area has structure and i am still marking fish on the structure. i think this may be a wintering hole for them. ive tried for blues there several times this winter with no luck. i see alot of people fish shallow water before the spawn. i didnt know if i could catch them before they move up for pre spawn in this deep area. i fish in lakes mostly. im thinking these fish are still there but dormate. they seem to slow down when temps got down to low 60s. so is this the temp i should wait on before tring them.

2. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I usually always give deep water a shot on everytrip, but most often my flatheads come from shallow water..exceptions are late summer and early fall during the daytime, I catch most of them deep.

3. Riverjake

Riverjake New Member

State:
    Joplin MO
    The river I fish is considered small and runs four to six feet deep, about fifty to sixty yards wide on average. Deeper holes are fifteen to twenty feet deep. Spring and early summer catch is always in the shallows. Late summer, a few shallow and most in deeper holes. Fall into early winter almost all are caught in the deeper holes. This seems to hold true, at least for me and where I fish, whether fishing for channels or flatheads. Flatheads seem to go to the deeper holes a little before the channels do when the seasons change.

4. Drum Andersen

Drum Andersen New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    As these guys said I have good luck in deep holes later in the summer and early fall.

5. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    if i target them earlier than mid-late april i always find them deep but right near a major drop from shallow to deep water.