Does anyone set out lines for turtles?

Discussion in 'Turtle Talk' started by Little Bill, Sep 6, 2007.

1. Little Bill

Little Bill New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    I have tried catching turtles on lines with little luck. How do you set your lines up , what size/type of hooks, line and type of bait do you use? Do you hang them off of limbs, poles etc.? What type of area do you look for to set your lines?

2. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    we getum by accident on our trot lines with cut gills. mostly when set in the riffles and creek mouths. if you want to hook more than you miss use small treble hooks.

3. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    We set bank poles and cut off the gills heads and have guts hangin out snappers cant pass it up!!!

4. Larry Beever

Larry Beever New Member

State:
    Indianapolis Indiana
    Hey Kirk, Look for shallow areas where you're fishing. If there's lots of structure there all the
    better. Spend a lttle time there and just watch for
    their heads to come to the surface for air.That way
    you'll know for sure if they're in the area.There's
    a possibility there's not many where you're at. So
    do a little scouting around it will pay off. A treble hook is a good idea. And I personally would'nt reccomend using large bait. Keep it bite sized. Use chunks of blue gill,shrimp,or beef. I caught a 40# snapper a month ago on deer meat.
    They're really not picky eaters. And once you've
    found an area where they're really at IT'S ON!
    Good luck.

5. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    we run them all the time here, usually hit smaller creeks and feeders to the river, we use steel fence rod (electric type) and about 18-20 inches of line with a big barrel swivel in it, other wise they will spin it until the line breaks, and we use different baits but mostly chicken Gizzards because they are tuff enough that the fiddler fish wont pick them clean. depending on how and where the hook is I Carry extra lines and just cut them at the swivel and replace then get the hooks back at cleaning time. and a good gunny sack to carry them in. Good Luck on yer turtle'n thats some GOOD eatin! Also run them in some of the local farmers ponds as they don't want them in the pond, so don't over look them, some of the better ones we get come from the small ponds and "mudd-holes"

6. Little Bill

Little Bill New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    As far as are there any turtles in the area there are many many snappers and some buddies of mine had caught several over 60 pounds and I know of one that tipped the scales at 88lbs. The biggest problem i guess i have is the large alligator population as well. Actually I know there are some prehistoric snappers in this area it is currently gator season down here and I saw one of the 7 foot gators the guys harvested off of one of their hooks and it was missing all four legs due to a big snapper. They were freshly chewed off just before they killed the gator.. You guys definately don't have that problem in your part of the country. The local guys told me to tie off a soft limb and use cut chuopique (local name for bowfin or grinnle) on the bottom. I tell you if you guys can catch one of those for a bait use it fresh, the hide is tougher than chicken gizzards.I did have a turtle straighten one of my hooks the other day before i could get it up. It was probably 50-60 lbs.We call them logger heads down here and we are allowed to keep one per day but i would probably have taken some pics and turned loose they are pretty old when they get that big. I was just looking for tips on ways to improve my catches on hook and line versus Traps. use to catch bunches in traps but now the gators tear them up in less than 30 minutes. so trying to catch on lines.

7. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    :crazy: Well I understand what you are saying better, No, I don't have that problem around here....lol, I really couldn't give ya any ideas on that aspect of it Bill. What about a trap of stronger material? We do pretty well every year and like you said, the big ones always get sent back in I guess just out of respect of the age. I mean a 20-30# snapper has plenty of good eating on it. I would love to see some pics of them Giant "LOG-HEADS" some time.

8. bumper

bumper New Member

State:
    Georgia
    My grandad used a big metal trap with a one way entrance so they couldn't get back out. He was a chicken farmer and used dead chickens for bait. You just have to remember to leave some of the trap above water so the turtles won't die before you check the trap. I haven't had any fried turtle legs in a long time. good luck.

9. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    Buddy, I can not help you, I do not fish for turtles. The ones that I catch are strictly by accident!

10. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Besides, the alligator snappers are protected here in Arkansas!

11. BLKCLOUD

BLKCLOUD New Member

State:
    Pulaski Tn
    Never caught one...hehehe

12. BLKCLOUD

BLKCLOUD New Member

State:
    Pulaski Tn
    Actually reaching up under the bank is how I used to go after them, they will "usually" go in head first and you can pull them out by the tail..

13. Little Bill

Little Bill New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Guys thanks for the tips, Metal traps or any traps are no match for 10-12 foot alligators.They will tear them up.Next time I get some good pics of these gators I'll post them so you can see what a large wild alligator looks like. They are the dominant predator of there environment and will eat anything they can catch including snapping turtles or you, if you sit still long enough, But the turtles catch their share of the baby gators, so it all equals out. When I figure out the right technique to catch :smile2:turtles and not gators I'll post the info just in case you boys up north ever run into the same problem. LOL!!!!