Does anyone "Pack" their Spinning Reels?

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by peewee williams, Jun 27, 2007.

1. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I have seen where some on here fish out of Kayaks and surf fish.From Maine to Florida,some fishermen use to pack their heavy saltwater spinning reels completely full of waterproof grease.They were stiffer,but they claimed that they lasted a lot longer as it kept the water out.It would look like the big reels with gasket seals and sealed drags such as my Okuma CD 90's would be perfect for this.Now the only ones that I actually ever saw being done this way were the Big penn spinners and they had bushings type bearings.I don;t see why our modern waterproof marine or even wheel bearing greases would not work.Do any of you out there do this with your reels?I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

2. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    I dont Peewee and I fish Penn 7500s.Todays reels and seals pretty much make that un neccessary and I had a Penn repair man say it could actually damage the reel by forcing the seals.Particularly in hot weather when the grease expands.I service mine annually and use the latest technologies in reel greases designed specifically for the job.I wouldnt pack with wheel bearing grease,if I packed I would use a grease designed for reels.When I say todays reels I mean the better designed ones and that usually means more costly but in general todays reels are far more durable and utilize better alloys than those of the past.Love you man, hang in there. :big_smile:

3. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I don't, but ...

It seems to me that I heard that some of the very high dollar spining reels (might have been the Van Staal) come with a sealed, oil-filled gear box.

The problem that I could see with grease is that it is stiff enough that once things moved around a bit, there would be big gaps in the grease. Seems like if the reel would hold it without it drooling out, then filling with oil would work better.

4. DemolitionMan

DemolitionMan New Member

State:
    Tupelo, Mississippi
    JA,

That's what I'm thinking....All Saltwater reels worth their "salt" are "sealed" to keep the saltwater out anyway....Maybe they were using "freshwater" reels in saltwater conditions....Dwight

5. peewee williams

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I saw and heard of it being done in the 50's and 60's.Reels were different then.I never packed or used one.I have sensed wondered about leakage.They swore by it and had been doing it for years.I read a saltwater post recently (dated 02-02-06 ) in a predominately saltwater Striper site where some avid surf fishermen were still packing them with the modern "Blue Marine grease's" for use around Montauk and Rhode Island.Were I submerging a large reel in saltwater on a regular biases,I would have to try it if I was having corrosion problems.Not many of us submerge our reels in saltwater on a daily basis like those guys did.The people I new who did it were older retires and lived in the surf or waded the Florida shallows nearly every day.The reels were constantly getting submerged.I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

6. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Those guys fishing for stripers out on those jettys and surf probably had good reason to pack and may still do so.Problem with grease is it also accumulates dirt and then becomes an abrasive paste going round and round.Hang in there

7. peewee williams

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Being Tupelo Miss. is so far from saltwater,well I am attempting to understand.It is just hard to accept that all of the great Penn reels that were and are used and loved by so many are not worth their salt.I give up!I can not accept it!Can you tell me of a reel that is truly sealed and worth it's salt?I do know that they do seal them to the best of their ability.Having seals and being sealed are two different things.The old worthless reel manufactures just used stuff that was corrosion resistant.The old fashion "KISS"design and manufacturing methods seemed to work well and last long.They are still highly valued and eagerly sought after today.They were not made to be used in "freshwater".I do know that some make some false claims of being sealed.I made my living with seals and bearings for years on Nuclear Submarines to Modern chemical plants.All seals on rotary equipment leak.Might be a tiny bit,but they leak.Has a reel manufacture really developed a seal that will completely seal?The world has been attempting that for thousands of years and to the best of my knowledge only the advertisers of Madison Avenue have made claims of success to the general public.They learned their trade from the North Koreans in the 50's.We all called it brainwashing back then.We also condemned it.Now we accept it and many believe it.I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

8. DemolitionMan

DemolitionMan New Member

State:
    Tupelo, Mississippi
    I didn't say the "reels were'nt worth their salt"....I meant that saltwater reels were supposed to be "sealed" to keep out the salt....As far as the "false" reports/advertizing, you probably right about that one....Dwight

9. peewee williams

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    From the experience of cleaning reels,I think surf fishing and wading are the worst kinds of fishing for a reel.The fine sand being blown and in the spray on the beach along with the fine silt and even coarse sand due to wave action in the water makes it a killer for reels.Many never even realize what is going on with their equipment.This stuff makes it the worst kind of seal and then bearing killer.Seals litterly cut groves in shafts with this type of fine compound.I lived a block and a half from the beach for seven years.This mechanic did learn some new lessons about grit and corrosion,even though I worked at a chemical plant that was part of a Paper Mill.A surf reel should be completely torn down,fanatically cleaned and re-lubed after each use.Your worst enemy is the grit that is so fine that you can not see or even feel it.Fresh water rivers and lake shorelines can have the same type of grit.Believe me.It is there!I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee