Does anyone not like Power Pro braid?

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by mcseal2, Jul 1, 2009.

Do you like Power Pro braided line

1. Yes

2. No

3. Never tried it

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. mcseal2

mcseal2 Active Member

State:
    Kansas
    I had never tried the braided lines, but I bought an Abu 7000 line counter reel to fish blues on big rivers with and was thinking of giving it a try. I figured it would have less current drag in heavy test and be more sensitive so it should work well. I have heard a bunch of positives about the power pro line here, and just wondered if anyone had tried it and didn't like it as much. Thanks, Heath

2. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    I started using Power Pro line last year. Without a doubt, it's the best braided line I ever spooled onto my reel. Virtually no memory, casts great and ultra strong. I always use mono backing, before spooling on the braid, to eliminate line slippage while casting.

Power Pro might cost a little more, but it's well worth it for sure. I feel pretty confident in this line!!

I voted Yes for Power Pro!!

3. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I fish alot of areas that are rockey and it gets rubbed on the rocks ya get broke off plus it is expensive to run and that is a issue but other then that I love it

4. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have used it before, I will never use it again even if it was free.

Resons below

It has no stretch, I want my line to stretch.

Very poor abrasion resitance.

I wont use any braid.

5. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    No Complaints from here. I love it!:wink:

6. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    No way! LOL! $$$$$$ tough to break when snagged. Burns your thumb when ya give it a good cast. Why on earth do ya need 125# test line. :wink: How about some skill instead.:cool2:

7. 320hotrod

320hotrod New Member

State:
    KCMO
    Love it, love it, love it! It's on all my rods, from bass to spoonbill. The cost is offset by the lack of loss, as it lasts a lot longer than any mono or dacron I used in the past. I can spool more line, use less weight, and don't need no stretch when I'm fishing. The proper poles and using the drag right, I want to set that hook right off the bat, and braid does it or me. Haven't had an issue with abrasion cutting the line. I use nail clipper to trim the tags off knots and have to replace them once or twice a year when the line wears them out. Just my opinion though

8. Shutupandfish

Shutupandfish New Member

State:
    Missouri
    best thing since the circle hook, i will never spool my reels with anything else well until something better comes along, which is going to take alot. No memory, easy casting, and strong.

9. Bocan

Bocan New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Love it

10. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    I voted yes, but I only like to use it on my baitcasting reels. On my spinning reels, I'm so used to placing my index finger under the line to feel the bite, then clinching it against the rod to set the hook:eek:oooh::embarassed::embarassed:, SEVERELY Cut fingers OUCH.....

Thought I could retrain myself by using the circle hooks:roll_eyes:....didn't work.

11. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Mono has always worked just fine. So has my drags.

12. Fishmaster1203

Fishmaster1203 New Member

State:
    PA
    I almost never use braided line, but if I do, it will be Power Pro. It's the best, IMO.

13. crawford1

crawford1 Member

State:
    west virginia
    Great stuff also spider wire makes good stuff i ahve both

14. lookin_4_moby

lookin_4_moby New Member

State:
    Guthrie, OK
    i mainly use power pro 65 pound on both of my baitcasters and love it unless like kenny said you're fishin around rocks. as far as people not liking the no stretch of it, set you drag a little looser. I can't say anything bad about it beside it's low abrasion resistance.

15. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Power Pro and octopus circle hook are a great combo for me. I use #65 on my Abu 6500 and 7000's. I only bank fish the river with 12' rods. The power pro gives me maximum casting distance and the strength to pull in large blues against the current in most cases. I would love to use mono, but I don't fish from a boat, so I don't have the option to follow the fish if necessary. The area of river I fish does not give me the luxury of playing a fish for an hour, if I did that, the rocks and misc debris would cut off my line or end up in a snag. I know I could land 99% of the fish I hook using #10 mono if I fished in a nice big no current no rock or debris lake, but that is not where I fish, so the #65 power pro is the way I go. Good luck.

16. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    We gotta have 125lbtest George.....in case Johnny wants too cool off in the heat i can pull him around with it water-skiing:wink::eek:oooh::big_smile:

17. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky

I agree with Jack on this one. I have used braids before and will never use any braid again. If they ever stop selling mono.....I'll stop fishing!!!!!!:confused2:

18. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    Powerpro is a good tough braid, I used it for years and still have it on half my reels. But Sufix Performance Braid and Daiwa Saltiga are just as tough and much smoother, and hold their color better. When using Powerpro next to the Daiwa braid, I can actually hear the difference, the Daiwa makes less noise going through the guides and the levelwind.

19. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    PP is the best line I EVER used. However, I am looking for other brands of spectra fibered line that is less expensive thsn PP. I have ten needs to spool up and to do so with PP would break my bank.

BB in SC

20. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    I haven't found one yet Bill..bound to be a brand though a little easier on the wallet:wink: If there is not one to be had i will just have to fork it out....Once you make the switch to braided & learn the do's & dont's those massive blues that used to reek-havoc on the best mono...are stopped cold in there tracks..you can horse around those big-ones when needed:wink::eek:oooh::tounge_out: