Does Anyone Make A Circle Hook With An Offset?

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by Itch2Scratch, Aug 9, 2006.

1. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Ivy Bend on LOZ, Missouri
    I am definately no expert on circle hooks but I have been experimenting the last 2 Springs with them. I know the Kahles I have been using have an offset and work great. So I figured I would ask the question to all you Circle hook fans to find out if anyone makes a circle with an offset...seems to me it would be a better design.

2. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    During the closed season for stripers in the delaware an offset circle is illegal And anything over a number six hook is illegal the only big hooks you can use are standard circle hooks> But I prefer the offsets and cant understand why the DNR does not permit them during the spawn

3. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Probably because they would be more effective...LOL...thats why I am trying to find out if they make them so I can try them out.:wink:

4. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    The Gamagatsu octopus circle hook has a slight reverse offset.

5. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
    Hey Ken, I'm still green on circle hooks myself but I like some offset in my hooks too. I even take my jig heads that I use for bream and crappie and 'bend' some offset in them. I'm not sure it helps but it makes me feel better. :cool2:

ST

6. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Ken, if the kahles were working great, why'd you switch? Just experimenting, I suppose. There are plenty of circles with offset points. I have tried both, and the offset may have an edge, but if I fish heavy cover, I like one without an offset point; doesn't hang quite as much.

7. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    Ken, The Eagle Claw L8197F is one example of an offset circle. I've had pretty good luck with these, although quality (sharpness) can be spotty.

8. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    I'm with the hooks mentioned. They are offset and great hooks.

9. catfishkatmando

catfishkatmando New Member

State:
    Salem, WV.
    Ken I buy of set hooks when I can but a couple pairs od visgrips and you can throw in a 10 degree offset works well.

10. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    I am just curious by nature Tommy....if something works or don't work...I want to know about!...LOL

11. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Thanks for the feed back guys:big_smile: ...I will find some of those and give them a try...will also break out the vise grips...LOL

12. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    Hey Itch, I'm Getting On The Bus A Little Late Here:lol: but I Bend Mine Also. I Generally Use Owner Hooks, They Are Real Stout & Don't Snap On You When You Are Bending Them, Not To Mention, IMHO I Think They Are Sharper Than All The Rest:roll_eyes:

13. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Does this offset cause them to roll or twist the line more?Curious as I use to bream fish with them.Thanks,peewee-williams

14. tspergin

tspergin New Member

State:
    newark ohio
    I have found that with the offset circles,you will get a lot more gut hooked fish because the point doesnt have to roll to catch meat and if a fish swallows the bait it will catch whereas a regular circle will come back up and not hook untill it turns in the mouth,just my opinion from using both

15. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    Gama Octupus Circle does have a slight offset, as somebody mentioned.

16. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
    Hey Big Brother, I think it really helps on a small jig head hook by moving the point out of line with the eye of the jig. It seems like the jig eye decreases the amount of space you have to work with. It does the same thing with other styles of hooks, basically it decreases the amount interference that will hinder the hook from getting a 'bite'.

ST

17. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    iv bent my own too but found j's work every time so il stick with the hook that sticks cattmax j's 8/0 from bps