Does anyone know of a chart that gives the maximum drag on Abu Garcia Fishing Reels?

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by peewee williams, Dec 9, 2008.

1. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Does anyone know of a chart that gives the maximum drag on the different models of the Abu Garcia reels?Has anyone on here ever checked theirs out,and if so,what was the result?

Does anyone know the maximum setting for the Pflueger Trion 66?Thanks

2. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    PeeWEE , I wrote a letter to ABU asking for a list from the 6500 - 10000 models..They will let me know,and I'll post it up Bro.

Good ?.you asked

3. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    PeWee ,I should have heard something by now from them ,so I wrote them again,telling them I needed the info as well to help fishermen pick what # rod blank to build,according to the reel they have and purpose of intended use..
    Kenny:wink:

4. catfish10101

catfish10101 New Member

State:
    Des Allemands,
    This is a question that they probably do not have an answer to. When they build a reel, it is designed to be used with a certain line class. As long as the drag works with that line class, they ask no more. Max line pound test is their standard. Nowadays, with the power pro and such, it has thrown a loop in that whole way of thinking, but I doubt that they have gone as far as the info you seek. I could be wrong, but that is my $0.02.:cool2:

5. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    PeeWee

I've tested a handful of reels, including a few Abu's..

10lbs Abu 6000 Original Drag
    15lbs Abu 6000 with Carbon Drag upgrade
    20lbs Abu 9000 Big Game

And some Penns:
    12lbs 310 GTI (Well used reel, probably had lost some drag strength)
    22lbs 220 GTO

The Pflueger Trion 66Pflueger Trion 66 I do not know about.

6. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    i would think they would, they advertize the # of max drag on the new revos i think 24# so id think theyd have the #s. garys # sound right on also sounds like he may need a new drag for the penn ??? maybe, might just be that its smaller but id think it be more.

7. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    They will be here soon,,Just got a letter from ABU and they wanted to know if I was looking for the info on the current models of the 6500's-7000's .

I said sure; a couple of yrs back until now, that would probaly be the current models,but that would be great. So I should have something soon.:wink:.

8. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I'm having trouble grasping the concept of a number for maximum drag. How could any one know? Even if testing lines of the same pound the best you could do is an average. and then what would you do, just stick an arbitrary number in and start from there? . I'll give you my chart. Backed off there is no resistance. That is a 0. Tightened with a wrench is a 10. My reels are rated for drag at 1>10 lol :crazy::eek:oooh::smile2::smile2::smile2:

9. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    well the number we are looking for is with the reel at 10 on your scale how many pounds of pull does it take to pull line straight off the spool. ie a 6000 abu with the drag tightened down, attaching a fish scale to the line and pulling takes 10 pounds to take like out.

10. peewee williams

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I love my spell checking.Correction for "Netmanjack" is "Demoniac".:smile2:

Jack.It is and has been for years the maximum force in pounds that a reels drag will hold before slipping.And yes,you got it down for no resistance whatsoever.Now tighten it down all the way.Pull on it with a scale attached to the line.Do not go through the eyes on the rod as the arc of a rod will vary it as the rod arcs."IF" your line does not break,the maximum poundage measured before the line slips is the maximum rating for your reel.The advertisements that you see are the average for the reels being sold.Now,I got this from reel manufactures.

I got a uncle that Bass fished and bought the Ambassadors when they first came out in the 50's when I was a kid.He once claimed that he and friends checked them this way back then and they averaged 7 lbs.They would just drop weights into a water bucket tied on to the line until the drag slipped,then step into the store and weigh the bucket with weights on the stores certified scale.& 7 lbs.is great for up to 20 lb.line in my book.Now they were putting heavy braid on them in the 50's for Big freshwater Stripped Bass.This heavy braid did not allow much line to be put on a reel and therefore they had to horse the Striped Bass.The drags slipped according to him and others that I saw on the Santee.They got quite a jolt when spooled and often a rig would be snatched out of a hand!:eek:oooh:

Now I would not bet any money on the accuracy of this mans testing as he normally operated on a tank full of cheap Bourbon when he could afford it and whatever anyone else had when he could not.Now that I think about it,the bait caster users that I personally know drink a lot of alcoholic beverages.Most are known as drunks by most of the community.You can recognize the bait casters around here by the protruding veins in their nose and puffy red faces.Many of them claim that they cannot fish without it.It do make me wonder about all of you who do use them.:wink:

Now before any of you kids under 50 say "BRAID",braid is thousands of years old.Linen,Flax and Dacron braid was still very popular during the 50's.I used it all.Most mono sold was large diameter,stiff and had a memory like a roll of barbed wire.Unless you have ever had or seen the results of Barbed wire breaking when stretched,you have no Idea of what I am talking about.BAD,BAD,BAD!Ultimate bird nest.

11. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Thanks Peewee. I think I've got it now. You take like thousand pound line and pull on it. With the pound force being monitored from the pulling end, you tighten the reel down and see where it breaks loose. Got ya.:big_smile:

12. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    But wouldn't the line always break?

13. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I do know one thing, If I tighten the drag all the way down on my abu 6500's with carbon matrix drag, with 80yds of mono in the water...A 55-lb flathead could not break the drag tightened down all the way..I know this for a fact because I had to losen the drag to let him run a bit:smile2:

14. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    If youre using 8# test line and it takes 10lbs of pull to rotate the spool yea. if your using 20-30# line and it takes 10# to turn the spool and your line breaks:crazy: imeditally take it off the reel and throw it away its junk.

15. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    just for s&g tie the scale to your line set the drag and get a reading on the # of straight pull before drag slips... then without touching the drag put your monsterous 12' rod in a sturdy holder and hook up the scale again load the rod like you are when fighting a fish and see what kind of reading you get when the drag slips. i bet were all gonna be suprized on how mutch force your rod adds. i bet its way more than it would be on a tiger. watch out like peewee said your line may pop, and thats with est. 15# from the reel.

16. peewee williams

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I would love to see that smile!

Ain't that hard on the little brass gears and ball bearings on that small a reel?

I would use at least a 4 or 6/0 reel for that weight fish in saltwater.Now we could sometimes hook 50 to a hundred a day and the sharks were often big enough to bite them off clean behind the head.This was before fleets with Factory ships,laws and limits in the ocean.It took the heavy built reels to stand up to this day in and day out.I have heard old people near the coast talking of getting into the Rock Fish or Striped Bass up in the rivers like this,and this size in their spring runs.These days are gone.

I think there are much better drags and drag material now than in the past.I think the old drags were a safety device to prevent harming the reels.This was why they could give you a lifetime warranty with them.With the new drags,they canned the lifetime warranty.

I have read your post for some years now.You have experimented and have got it down for your kind of fishing the way you enjoy as all should do.I enjoy your post.I have never watched anyone bottom fish for big fish with bait casters.I have seen them throw huge 8-12 inch plugs for big rock fish with them.The weight of the plug made it easy for the fish to throw when jumping and the drags back then did not hold the fish.Lake Marion had so many logs and the big braids then left the fisherman with little chance of landing the truly big ones.Salt water with the clean bottoms were where the big ones were landed.

I don't see how any big fresh water fish can be landed with all of the logs in our southern rivers!

Bank fishing and landing a big fish is a whole different ball game than having a boat to follow and assist in the catch.

I now wish that I had bought a bait caster to experiment or play with,though I doubt if I would have ever fished with it much due to my fishing type and ways.I used Zebco 888 or 808 spin casters for plug casting mostly with a short heavy Ice type fishing rod for underhand casting out of a boat up under overhanging brush for Chain Pickerel.I had to horse them out of the snags,There was no playing these fish.I caught a few bass along with Bow-Fin which I released.I have paddled a boat a many a day for others to cast for Bass.I never fished for big fish.I did have some big gear for kids and guest to do so to amuse them.

I now have a Old Diawa 4H Millionaire to cast with and a Cabala's Salt Striker SS6600X which is a Pflueger Trion 66.Now that I have to stay out of the Sun,I will set out in the yard at night now that winter is here and cast some.30 ft.is about my limit now and that is hard work.I enjoy it though.Some times local law enforcement will stop and talk at all hours.It ain't fishing on the river,but it beats 24-7-365 in the house!I am thinking about building a fire if it will rain enough to put some water in the ditch.Hummm.I might just dam up the culvert!

17. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    Jack. He could not break the drag loose because with 80yds out the rod was relieving most of the pressure on the reel.50#He might have got it moving after you got him close,something that big,why take the chance:wink:I do now one thing,I bet-ya that felt it like you had a hold of the great-white whale:eek:oooh:.:smile2: :smile2::wink:

Nice Fish, is that the one in the avatar?

18. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    We have contact our Reel Techs for this information and we were informed that the only drag information is what we advertise for the Revos. Before that we never had the drag force.:eek:oooh:
    ----------------------

To: Moyer, Teri
    Subject: Re: Abu Garcia Contact Form

Above is what their reply was LOL..I dont think he understood the question. I'm going to try again..