Does anyone know how far the Arkansas river is from Eufaula dam?

Discussion in 'OKLAHOMA RIVERS TALK' started by daniel-delarosa, Jan 28, 2007.

1. daniel-delarosa

daniel-delarosa New Member

State:
    seminole, oklahoma
    I have been wanting to fish the spot where the Canadian meets the Arkansas ever since I got my seadoo jet boat. I'm just afraid of traveling a long way on the water.

2. Larry Collier

Larry Collier New Member

State:
    Wagoner, Oklahoma

3. Larry Collier

Larry Collier New Member

State:
    Wagoner, Oklahoma
    oops --- Haskel counties making Robert S. Kerr Reservoir. It's a heck of a long ways by boat and farther by road!!

4. capt theory

capt theory New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    i got on google earth and did a path from the dam to the mouth of the canadian
    at the arkansas and came up with 25 miles. you have the right idea though. the only better tool for a low sandy river like that is a four wheeler. thats the tool of
    choice on the arkansas up north.

5. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    You can probably put in where state hwy 2 crosses the Canadian, and shorten your trip a little bit, although I'd think twice before leaving a vehicle there, or at the dam, for that matter.

Your best bet is to launch at Webbers Falls, and run down the Arkansas.

Good ramp, decent security, and a much shorter run.

6. daniel-delarosa

State:
    seminole, oklahoma
    how far do you think it would be if i launched at webbers falls? does the arkansas flow really fast? because i'm going to be using a 14ft seadoo jetboat.

7. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    About seven miles, give or take.

The Arkansas at that point is more lake than river...current isn't a factor, but wind-driven waves and towboat wakes can be.

Use a little bit of common sense, and you'll be fine.

8. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla
    I live in Gore and regularly fish the mouth of the Canadian. You can launch at either Webbers Falls or on the Gore side.

It would be very dangerous to try your ride before the water warms up this spring. At 37 degrees, the water will cause you to chill down to hypothermia in a matter of moments if you get wet... and I can't see a Ski-Doo rider staying dry.

In good warm weather, your Ski-Doo will be OK if you take the normal precautions and stay in the marked channel. You're not likely to run aground on a sandbar, but a floating log would ruin your day.

If the Canadian is running, the water at the mouth of the river will be quite rough for such a small boat. Be careful.

9. daniel-delarosa

State:
    seminole, oklahoma
    man, you have me scared to go out there now, lol. is there any way to drive to that spot? i got striper fever today and drove to eufaula dam and fished for a while with no luck:ah: . i never really fished for them, but last months issue of oklahoma game and fish said it was easy behind eufaula dam.

10. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla
    You can't drive to it unless your car floats! There is an old ramp at Sandtown Bottom just across the river from the mouth of the Canadian, but it still would be a good half-mile or more to the Canadian.

The best thing for you to do right now is to drive down to my house in Gore and go out with me in my boat! Send me a PM before you come and I'll be sure to have the boat gassed up.

11. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    Sweet deal, Daniel...you best be jumpin' on that one!

12. daniel-delarosa

State:
    seminole, oklahoma

That would be awsome!! we will have to go sometime. none of my friends are really into fishing, so i hardly ever have anyone to go with. and i am a novice fisherman so i have many trips that are a bust.

13. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla
    Well, Daniel... when can I expect to see you on my doorstep?

14. daniel-delarosa

State:
    seminole, oklahoma

maybe Sunday? that is the only day of the week I have off.

15. okiekrawler

okiekrawler New Member

State:
    roland ,oklahoma
    you could go to the stoney point boat ramp and put in there. goin up in the canadian is a little tricky so you will want to take your time. a gps would also be handy.

16. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla
    I've been up and down the Canadian so many times I think I could do it in the dark... slowly.

I have most of the oxbows and deadends mapped out on my GPS, and yes, I have had to get out and pull the boat off the sandbars when I wasn't paying attention.

Great trips when you got the time!