Does anyone know anything about Zumbro river fishing?

Discussion in 'MINNESOTA RIVERS TALK' started by stick500, Mar 13, 2008.

1. stick500

stick500 New Member

State:
    wisconsin
    I may be relocating in the area- how is the general fishing on the Zumbro River. I go after just about anything, carp and catfish are favorites.

2. meatman

meatman New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I fished in the Zumbro a couple of times near Rochester on the southern parts of it. I did not have a whole lot of luck. A few towns north of there there is a dammed up river and you can get to it right off of 52 northbound if you were coming from rochester or south of that. A lot of people catch big channel cats in that river and some flatheads near the dam, others told me that white bass were big there also some panfish. I am sorry I dont remeber the nameof it.

3. Larry

Larry New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I know that the ice is not completely out on the lake but enough so to get a small boat in the water. Some of the boys in the area are Hammering the channels. Up to 26 inches, Its got some big channel cats in it.

4. huntinflatheads

huntinflatheads New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I used to fish the zumbro a lot. I would put my riverpro in at the lake and go up stream toward Oronoco(the town north of Rochester with the dam). Early in the spring I would catch many channel cats between 10 to 15 pounds on cut bait. It doesn't take a very deep hole in the river to hold some big fish. There is usually a crowd at the dam, but I have never met another fisherman between there and the lake. I have never heard of a flathead being caught in the area. I don't think there are any. You won't be able to get very far with a prop boat. Be careful if the water level is low because it is a very rocky strech of river with a lot of rapids. With the riverpro I am able to get all the way to the dam before turning around until mid June depending on the amount of rain. In spots near the dam you can catch good numbers of crappies too.