Does anyone know anything about Blueheelers?

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by pk_powell, Jan 16, 2007.

1. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Does anyone know anything about purebred Blueheelers? Anything anyone can tell me about them and Bentley marks on their bodies I would deeply appreciate any posts. Thank you very much!:big_smile:

2. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Hey Pat the only thing I know about heelers is that the color in them will generally reverse ie.if they are dark as pups they will be light when they are grown and vise versa never herd about bently marks though keep us posted if you find out though id be interested to know about them also Rich

3. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Pat, you can find quite a lot about Blue Heelers (which are Australian Cattle Dogs) on the internet. I looked 'em up for ya, and here's the link to wikipedia....... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cattle_dog
    It does say in this article that albino patches are an undesirable coat trait, and nothing is mentioned about anything called Bentley marks that I could find. The puppies are born white and develop their coat colors as they grow, according to this information.

4. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Pat.....I was wrong, I went back to that article and there IS info about Bentley Marks. (I just didn't read down far enough, so sorry.) It only pertains to the mark on the head though, and says that all Australian Cattle Dogs have it.

5. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I will go to the link and see what I can find!:big_smile_2:

6. Cattledogz

Cattledogz New Member

State:
    NC
    The bently mark refers to the white mark high up on the forehead sometimes going clear up between the ears. All good bred ACDs should have a clear bentley mark. The name of the mark comes from the name of the man that founded the ACD breed. Australian Cattle Dog commonly known as blue or red heelers and the reds are often known as Queensland heelers.

When they are born they are born predominately white to all white and start showing color in several days.

When reading what I write below please, please know that I love this breed of dog with all my heart. I had them for several years as pets and working dogs, and worked as a rescuer of them. (Thus my screen name of Cattledgoz) I also studied a lot about them. But what I am writing below is the sad truth these days.

They are definitely not a dog for just anyone. They are intelligent, crafty, dominant, easily bored, territorial, protective, and truly need a job to do as well as mentally stimualting exercise. But most importantly they need owners that KNOW the breed and how to handle them.
    Given that, you are wise in trying to learn all you can Pat.

They have been so poorly and irresponsibly bred in the last several years that aggression has become a major issue.
    This aggression ranges from aggressively herding livestock to the point they are doing what is called "stringing" them, meaning they are biting through the hide and causing damage as opposed to just nipping to move stock when needed.

They are becoming more dog aggressive meaning the often now attack other dogs. They also have a high prey drive and will often kill cats, chickens, ducks, etc.
    And even more importantly they are becoming more people aggressive. I have seen many over the past few years that are child aggressive and that should never, ever be tolerated in any breed. I euthanized my last one due to unprovoked child aggression.

Don't get me wrong, there are still some awesome, good temperamented ACDs out there. But with all the backyard bred and irresponsibly bred ACDs the negative traits are equaling or surpassing the postive attributes of what was an awesome breed of dog. Now that my life has changed, when my labs are gone I will have another ACD.

Pat if you have or do get one, do your homework! If its a pup I cannot stress how important proper and ongoing socialization is. Same for proper training. Even with these done as they should be that is not to say that you won't have problems but it will somewhat lessen the likelihood of it.

If you have questions let me know and I will help with what I can.

7. tufffish

tufffish New Member

State:
    Texas
    they are good cow dogs. if you want them for a pet don't try to train them for working since biting is the way they work cows or hunt hogs ect. they don't bite people hardly but will bite other pets.

8. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I read all the information that you referred me to and I understand now why the Bentley Mark was pointed out to me by previous owner.Obviously what she met by it being rare is because the mark originates from a heeler that was owned by a Mr Thomas Bentley back in the 1870"s. Now if I could just find out who the father of this pup is and if he is registered as the mother is,I would be in business. I asked my neighbor for the lady's number but as of yet she has failed to give it to me. I know she goes by cell phone as she is a very busy woman she works in Nuclear power plants until they shut down for whatever reason and does the pretty hard work.:big_smile:

9. Cattledogz

Cattledogz New Member

State:
    NC
    Pat, that Bentley mark should not be rare! The only reason it may be disappearing is due to irresponsible breeding. Bentley didn't just own an ACD, he was responsible for the breed originating.