Does anyone know a good bait to use in the dog days of august or the weeks around it

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by jfsmith77, Aug 19, 2007.

1. jfsmith77

jfsmith77 New Member

State:
    north carolina
    i had been pond fishing at a local cat pond since the middle of july and have caught only a 5.7 and 2.1 lbs blues. i was wondering if anybody knows a good bait to use in the hottet times of the year thanks for any help

2. chris45601

chris45601 New Member

State:
    ohio
    Welcome to the Boc first off .Brother, You having the same problems everyone else is. You just have to keep fishing trying different bait's, but if i was you i would try fishing with shad cut the heads off them or use them whole.

3. crmule

crmule New Member

State:
    Orange City Florida
    Miller lite!!!!!

4. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    LOL

Hey I wanna go fishin with you.

5. dust777man

dust777man New Member

State:
    SC
    Usually stink bait works real good while its hot. Try a blood bait or cheese bases stink bait if you already havent. As far as fish-channels is all I have ever caught on blood bait and have caught blues (up to 20lbs) and channels on the cheese based stuff.

6. jfsmith77

jfsmith77 New Member

State:
    north carolina
    just wanted to say thanks for the info and glad to know it isnt just me lol

7. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    Don't fish during the heat of the day. Try to use only very fresh bait, or the nastiest wad of Danny King's that you can lob in. If it were me, I'd try baiting a hole at the pond & fish there when the sun went down. A lawn chair, an ice chest with bud light, and wait for 'em to take the bait.

8. irishangler

irishangler New Member

State:
    Virginia
    It's been really hot here in SW VA, too, but the bite has picked up for me. My job doesn't allow me a chance to catch bluegills in the evenings before heading out for channel cats, so I'd tried liver, shrimp, stink/paste baits with no success. A couple of weeks ago I started stopping at a bait/tackle store that stays open until 9:00 p.m. and picking up a dozen or so of shiner minnows. They're the usual size (1 1/2 to 3 inches) and I've been cutting them in half and putting both pieces on a 3/0 circle hook. I don't know if they're any better than fresh cut bluegill but the channel cats have been tearing them up. The last six fish have averaged 10 pounds. They haven't toyed with the bait, either. The rods simply double over and the circle hook do the rest. So, you might try cut shiners in a pinch. They've been good for me.

Mike