Does anyone have luck with Perch?

Discussion in 'Alternative Methods of Catching Catfish' started by ra8643, Jul 24, 2009.

1. ra8643

ra8643 New Member

State:
    texas
    I was wondering if anyone has luck with perch on a trotline. I fish in lakes only. I have great luck with shad. However, I have tried perch a few times and don't seem to catch many fish.

I usually only catch blue cats and channel cats with the shad. Do blues and channels dislike perch? The perch I was using were probably 2" in length.

Thanks!

2. bream reaper

bream reaper Member

State:
    Indiana
    I have caught flatheads and channels on cut yellow perch on rod/reel. Definately not my first choice of bait though.

3. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    I use black perch (green sunfish) on my jugs all the time and have good luck on all three type of cats. I have two hooks on each of them and some times I will put a perch on the bottom hook and cut shad one the top one. I catch about the same amount on each, I haven't caught a Flathead on the cut bait yet.

4. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Joseph Welcome to the BOC. Sometimes its best to smash the Perch or fillet one side to get the juices flowing.

5. ra8643

ra8643 New Member

State:
    texas
    All, thanks for the replies. So, it seems it is best to cut them up instead of leaving them alive?

If you are using live, is is best to use really small ones?

I always thought perch were good catfish bait. But, live and dead shad seem to produce 100% better for me.

6. Mr. Foster

Mr. Foster New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I dont know about limb lines and such, but thats about all I use on rod and reel and have great results. So far this year nothing under 10 pounds and all on green sunfish. Channels and Blues included.

7. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Match the hatch lol. Location -fish perch where ya find em. Ant no perch in his right mind gona be 20 ft down in open water lol. That being said they are the best limb line bait I ever found and work great around rocks, riprap, timber and shallow flats.

8. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Welcome to the BOC Joesph. I have used little gills on my trot lines and did really well with the blues and channels. I have caught very few flats on trot line. Maybe 3 and they were small. The got released to get bigger so i can catch them again.

9. ra8643

ra8643 New Member

State:
    texas
    Thanks for the replies everyone. I am actually heading out this weekend with my new perch trap (I built the cloverleaf one that is listed on this website). I am going to try baiting up with perch again and see what I catch.

Joseph

10. ronlyn239

ronlyn239 New Member

State:
    Bartlesvil
    I've had great luck with bluegills or perch. I fillet them and use the sides and head. The cats like the head as much as they do shad heads. I've had more success with flatheads on live perch than on shad.

11. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Thats a primary bait used on tl's. Yes it catches them monster flats and especially blues.

12. Madtownangler

Madtownangler New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    Live perch seem to be the best bait in the lake that I fish, cutbait perch isn't as good as cutbait shiner though.

The secrect to live perch under a bobber/ice fishing tip-up is to put the tail of the perch in your mouth and chew about half the tail off.

You don't get a clean cut like a scissors and they can't swim as well. Also suspend them off the bottom about three feet. All the game fish love them. A guy I was fishing with this morning got a smallmouth bass on a perch, the perch fell off getting the bass out of the water and a channel catfish nailed the perch when it was sinking.

13. cody al

cody al New Member

State:
    missouri
    hey welder i just wanted to thank you again for the mooneye heads you gave me last weekend ...and the 3 catfish you let us have thank you

14. bodie

bodie New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I fish alot with Green Sunfish and they work great