Does anyone have any information on Regulations surrounding selling fish?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by catstalker, Feb 11, 2006.

1. catstalker

catstalker New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Does anyone have any information on the regulations surrounding the selling of catfish fillets or live fish? I know this will vary from state to state.

2. Fishgeek

Fishgeek Active Member

State:
    Indiana
    I think in most states you would need to have a commercial fishing license/permit. This is the case in Indiana. However, in IN there are only certain waters where the DNR will give commercial licenses.

3. JMarrs328

JMarrs328 New Member

State:
    York/Harrisburg, PA
    I created a thread on here a couple weeks ago called "Making some $$$." There is a lot of info there.

4. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    You summed it up well, the laws will vary state by state.

I have some mixed feelings on it.

I am against the commercial use of any public waterway for commerical fishing unless the fish are covered as gamefish. That presents a paradox because in many states gamefish can not be sold on the open market. Unregulated harvesting can lead to a depletion of the resources if they are not being managed. In many stated where catfish are not considered gamefish I can see this robbing the waters of fish for commerical gain.

I would NOT patronize a place that bought catfish from local fishermen. The odds of eating fish high in mercury are much greater from public waters than they are from farm raised catfish.

I also know and have seen personally how the love of the dollar can get in the way of good common sense and ethical practices.

With all that said, I know our oceans are fished commerically, but there are also plenty of watchdog groups in place to help keep things in check. Many species have come close to being wipped out, i.e. Atlantic Striper, Bluefish, etc., from over fishing and it has only been through strict federal intervention that these fish popualtions have been brought back. Even with the federal efforts, old time Striped Bass fishermen will tell you that the days of regularly catching 40#+ fish are long gone.

5. catstalker

catstalker New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Thanks for the info everyone. I did see your post josh after I posted this one, scared me to death I thought I would surely be kicked off of BOC after seeing all of the feedback you got.LOL

6. waterwalker

waterwalker New Member

State:
    Louisville Ohio
    It is illegal in Ohio...