Does anyone have a good Shark Recipe?

Discussion in 'The BOC Diner' started by deadly_legend, Nov 15, 2008.

1. deadly_legend

deadly_legend New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
    i bought some Shark fillets from the local store today, and i was wondering if anyone knows a good way to cook it. i have never had shark and have been wanting to try it.

thanks for your time and replys.

Josh

2. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    I've never had the pleasure of cooking shark. I have caught several sand sharks many years ago when I was a kid . Most folks would use them as cut bait.
    I did go to a shark fry once. My Uncle had caught a couple a few years back. he fried it like catfish. Big chunks of white meat. It was good. Also had a tuna on the grill Taste like chicken. LOL.

When I was a kid, I remember my Dad had grilled some. All I remember is he laid it across hot grill, lemon, salt and pepper, kind of blacken it on both sides. everyone ate it.
    If it was me, I would fry or grill it and see what happens.

maybe someone who really knows how to cook it will chine in.

Good luck on that shark.

3. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Cook it like catfish or any other firm, white-fleshed fish.

4. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Heres a great way to cook shark. Get some italian dressing, the oil kind and pour some over the fillets in a glass baking dish. put some sliced onions and tomato on top, salt and pepper. Cover in foil and bake at 350 for roughly 30 minutes. Just depends on how many fillets you have, just keep an eye on it.

5. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky

Several years ago my middle daughter was dating a boy who was attending a 'Chef's School' somewhere in S.C.. I came through the gate at home one day and he was fishing in the pond there and had a 5 gal bucket full of pansized channels; he asked me how I wanted them cooked, I said surprise me, and I cleaned them up real quick while he rummaged around in the kitchen and he cooked them very similar to how you just described, especially the Italian dressing and veggies. It was gum flumping good.

I was kinda sorry to see him get the boot........... (he was too)

6. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Real Butter and Garlic, on a med/low heat grill about 4 minutes each side if steaks are at least 1/2" thick, :dribble::dribble: Just my opinion on it :wink: You'll love them, if not i'll pm ya my address for the rest, LOL!

7. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Out here on the west coast... my buddy Captn Jack says that it is best to soak it in whole milk to get rid of the urea taste.... and marinate and then onto the BBQ....

Good luck....Bayrunner Ray

8. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    I forgot to mention this, it wont matter because you store bought it. Back in California where I grew up any sharks that I caught were field dressed on the spot. Cut that head off before the toxins release into the meat. Just a bit of info if ya ever catch one. :wink:

9. Bayoubear

Bayoubear New Member

State:
    near that hellhole dallas
    commercially sold shark should never smell like ammonia anyway. urea smell? dont buy it.

ideally shark steaks (imho) should be the size of a good thick ribeye beef steak and cooked the exact same way. from marinades, seasonings, to heat of fire etc etc etc.. just like a prime ribeye. even better this way is yellowfin tuna- awesome. one thing... never ever cook it past medium RARE. if u do cook it medium... dont get mad at me... LOL i warned ya.