Does anyone have a clue about using earth magnets in fishing reels?

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by dreamcatcher, Apr 5, 2006.

1. dreamcatcher

dreamcatcher New Member

Anyone?

I need to know the answer to this question from those who use conventional reels that spin extremely fast. Now for those who are wondering what that is, it's a reel without a levelwind feature. My reel doesn't have magnetic braking, so it overspins on each cast. The line ends up loose, or like this past weekend it creates an awful birdnest. I changed the line to a limper variety and it helped some, but the spool still needs to be slowed down. I thought about using earth magnets, but I don't know how to configure them. Any ideas on how to slow this thing down? LOL. This thing will cast a mile, but not with the spool spinning as fast as it does. Any help would be greatly appreciated...

Vic

2. dreamcatcher

dreamcatcher New Member

C'mon people I know somebody has got to have some perspective on what I'm talking about:confused: :confused:

3. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Vic, I know that some baitcasters use them in the breaking system and that they're adjustable to the load your casting. other than that I haven't a clue as to how to apply them in a reel.

Have you tried accessing a schematic on a reel that uses them?

4. Koda

Koda New Member

State:
    Tombstone,AZ
    dreamcatcher can not help on aftermarket installation of the magnets but the way I was taught to use the baitcaster was to set the bearings to the point when you hold the rod at a 45 degree angle and turn loose of the spool it would barely run on its own then practice useing your thumb to stop the weight just shy of the ground may sound silly but it works, then you will learn how much pressure to keep on the spool to prevent over run, it will not take much pressure and the more familiar you become with the out fit the less pressure and the farther the casts. hope this helps Luck Koda

5. dreamcatcher

dreamcatcher New Member

Thanks guys. Bob, I read about these on a saltwater forum somewhere. They talk about them all the time. I shouldn't need to add anything to the reel right out of the box, but this Avet spins way too fast for my taste. I think I'm going to take Koda's advice and just play around with it until I get used to it. Supposedly the way it works is you take the sideplate off, and insert the magnets in some type of configuration so it works against the spool. Beyond that I am clueless.LOL.

6. StormCaster

StormCaster New Member

State:
    New York
    There are various reel that can be magged by kits or magging reels yourself. Some of the saltwater guys use a little heavier oils on the bearings to slow the spool down.

7. thomas

thomas New Member

State:
    CA
  8. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    Hey Vic, sent you a couple pm's with links to magging reels

9. dahoss2002

dahoss2002 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Vic, I epoxied rare earth magnets in some of my old abu's. 6000's and 6500's. It makes all the difference in the world! I'll post a pic when I get a chance but I got the idea off the net. Try a search as mentioned in a previous post.

10. dreamcatcher

dreamcatcher New Member

Thanks guys for the info. We'll see how it goes with procuring those magnets. In the meantime, I contacted some folks from this site called Tackle Direct and they informed me that the Avet shouldn't be cast in the freespool position (go figure), but should be cast in a position that actually engages the reel. True enough, line is released in this position, but I have yet to cast it. We'll see how it goes...There's a couple of you here that own Avets. Please feel free to chime in anytime...LOL.

11. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    I forget the reel I was looking at the other day. Anyways you actully cast the reel by loosening the drag then you cast it and tighten the drag back up. I thought it was kind of strange that there was no button or lever to disengage the reel. So I guess your reel would kind of be the same just apply some drag and cast it out.

12. Crucial

Crucial New Member

State:
    Virginia Beach VA
    Hey Dreamcatcher,
    Just curious if you've found the info you're seeking on taming that MXL? If not here is a quick run down.
    Equipment:(see pic Mag1)
    3 rare earth magnets 1/4" x 1/10" roughly
    3 3/8" cup washer for 1/4" magnet (both of these can be purchased from the same source... I'll PM you if you've not found your own magnets since the source is not a BOC sponsor)

Isopropyl Alcohol

Elmer's Glue

Super Glue Gel (or like equivelent)

To begin: (see pic Mag2)
    Remove the three take down screws on the handle
    side of the MXJ (or MXL). Remove gear box and spool.
    Clean inside side plate with alcohol to remove any and all grease and oil.

(see pic Mag3)Place a small amount of Elmer's Glue on the back
    side of the washers and install them towards the
    bottom of the side plate. The reason for using the elemers here is that it's not permanant and changes can be made.

(see pic Mag4)Place a magnet on the middle washer and put the
    reel back together. Put reel in Free Spool and spin the spool to make sure the magnet does not rub the spool. There is a surprising amount of room in the MXJ(L) and the washers with the magnets seem to fit perfectly.

Remove magnets and washers. Clean area with alcohol to prep for final assembly. Take Super glue Gel and attach washers in the same location as previously determined and let cure.

(see pic Mag 5)Once cured, place magnets in washers. It is very important to place the magnets in the proper polarity. You want the magnets in the following order: N+S+N. The best way to figure this out is to let two magnets connect to each other, then peel them open like a book.. the two sides that attracted are polar opposites (N+S). Do not glue magnets in the washers. This way, if the magnetic force created is to strong you can always remove one of the magnets. After the magnets are set, lubricate them with a film of grease or oil to prevent corrosion.

Hope this help's and I hope you enjoy your MXL

Attached Files:

13. Crucial

Crucial New Member

State:
    Virginia Beach VA
    the last two pics

Attached Files:

14. dreamcatcher

dreamcatcher New Member

Kelly, thanks alot for that breakdown along with the photos. I knew I had seen a few of your posts back in the fall talking about Avets, so I was hoping to lure you out of hiding. LOL. I will definitely look at this procedure if I decide to go that route. As I stated before, one of the sales reps told me to cast the reel in the first position prior to the strike position to cast. If I still don't like it I will definitely go the earth magnet route. What's funny is he said alot of surf guys will cast it in freespool without any problems. I sort of find that hard to believe, but I'm only going by what I've experienced with this reel. It's certainly faster than any levelwind reel. Off the subject, but is that reel turquoise, or is that the flash playing havoc with the color? I am looking at another MXL purchase in blue, but I thought the reels were more of a royal blue than a turquoise. What's up?

Thanks,
    Vic

15. Crucial

Crucial New Member

State:
    Virginia Beach VA
    Your very welcome Dreamcatcher,
    I havent been on this board since last fall in fact, and for some reason I just thought to check out whats new here... and there was your post :D

The rep at Direct tackle was correct in that the first position after compete free spool, is intended as a casting position... most people have found this to be a trifle unpractical since we like to set our drag for line weight and rod action, not casting distance or control.

To cast an Avet with no mod, in freespool takes a lot of expierence/practice and patience... sure there are people that can and do, and I did for a while before someone showed me how to mag it with out drilling it. But I cant say it was a "no problem" expierence...it's like learning a conventional all over again. The trick is to educate your thumb to feather the spool only when you feel the fluf starting. IF you go that route be preparied to burn the crap out of your thumb! I've blistered my thumb on more than one occasion using SX's.

The culprit to the difficult casting (aside from the awsome bearings) is the heavy solid milled spool... more spool weight, the more kenetic energy and the more over run (back-lash)you expierence. If they would make a larger arbor style spool for this reel, magging would'nt be as necessary.

That reel is royal blue, it's the lighting in that photo that makes it look washed out.

16. dreamcatcher

dreamcatcher New Member

Well, went fishing today with the reel, and I must say that the earth magnets won't be necessary. Smooth as a baby's bottom on the first indent out of freespool(that was with about 1 ounce of weight. You do have to feather it some with your thumb as the line does have a tendency to get caught on the lever drag, because the spool still has some speed. It's more manageable now though...

Vic

17. YeeHaw

YeeHaw New Member

State:
    Quincy Illinois
    I've never heard of that, but hope to get some info on it too.

18. Shawn

Shawn New Member

State:
    Illinois
    interesting thread guys. I use a 5600 c5 mag Abu reel, and do like the combination mechanical and magnetic braking system.

I see where doing a mod like you're talking about on other reels could be a good idea, if the mech. brake is causing you to loose too much casting distance.

Shawn

19. Crucial

Crucial New Member

State:
    Virginia Beach VA
    Glad to hear your getting more comfortable with the reel Dreamcatcher. Avet's are a little scary out of the box, kind of like the first time you took the training wheels off the bike Haha! But once you get one dialed in, they are Ohhh so sweet!

If I may ask, why did you opt for the MX series? My MXJ never see's freshwater because it's just too much reel. My SX's have become my dedicated cat reels and I doubt i'll ever need another.

If you elect to get another MXL, here's a little tip for some really tricked out reels: Get one that's a good color to match up with your current reel (I'd choose gold to match up with red, but blue would be nice as well) and then you can actually swap parts for a two tone reel. That way you could have a red reel with gold spool, and a gold reel with red spool and so on.

20. dreamcatcher

dreamcatcher New Member

Kelly, you must be reading my mind.:cool: I went with the MXL based on feel alone. I like my reels to all be in that 16 to 21 ounce range. To be fair I never even considered the SX. Maybe I should? I like your observation, and may give it some consideration. My only issue is balance. Do you think an SX balances well on say a rod that's 7 foot 6 inches long, with a line rating between 25 and 50 pounds?(basically a heavy powered Musky rod). I have never seen an SX, but isn't it a pretty small reel with little line capacity? Talk to me...

You know you can get them in green too at Tackle Direct...