Does anyone have a Carolina Skiff?

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by daniel-delarosa, Feb 18, 2007.

1. daniel-delarosa

daniel-delarosa New Member

State:
    seminole, oklahoma
    I have been looking at Carolina Skiffs on the net for a week or so. It seems to be pretty much what I want to get. I was just wanting to see if any of ya'll have one or know anybody that has one that can tell me their likes and dislikes about it.

2. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Mudkip and myself took a roadtrip to a dealership that had a "boat load", pun intended, of them in NC. The boats are pretty darn nice, especially the DLV models. The 19 foot DLV's with a 90hp Suzuki motor was around $16,000 and that includes an aluminum trailer.

The DLV has more of a V-hull and is supposed to have a much dryer ride. The DLX models have a new bow design with ripples that help smooth out the ride. They are both a very shallow draft boat with a lot of afforable options.

The best part about the boats is how wide they are. There is so much floor room in them.

My next boat will be a Carolina Skiff.

3. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    From what I've read and what others have told me, it doesn't take much motor to move them along. Good looking boats, though I understand that they can beat you up a bit if traveling wide open.

4. PeZ

PeZ New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    My father in law owns one I'm sure some day it will be mine. Its about 4 years old now Ive fished in it a bunch. He has the semi V its a very dry boat great in the bay and does well in 4-5 foot swells you can cut one in half with a chain saw and it will still float. I seen a demo at the Atlantic city boat show a few years back.

He has the 23' model and its a really nice boat it has a Suzuki 115 on it and it will go faster than I like to on the water I can tell you that. Most of the commercial crab fisherman in South Jersey use them they are work horses I'm sure if you get one you will be pleased with it.

5. special liberty

special liberty New Member

State:
    Maryland
    I have a Carolina Skiff 218DLV, a 21 foot center console with a mod V bow. Love it to death. Rugged, well built and stable as a dock at anchor. Very simple boat which makes it easy to take care of. I highly recommend checking out the Carolina Skiff Owners group on the web. Lots of good info and pictures.

6. catman fl

catman fl New Member

State:
    fl
    they are a great boat. I have one of the orignal ones. it was built in 1989. I love it . the only draw back is they don't like rocky river bottoms. i have patched 3 holes in the bottom from rocks.if you are going to fish rivers that have skinny water or a lot of stumps I would go with a good alum. boat.the better one have life time warinty againest hull puncsure.also they don't like rough water.they pound in rough water. they are also wet in windy weather.

catman-fl

7. special liberty

special liberty New Member

State:
    Maryland
    The newer models offer a dry ride. They do pound in rough water at higher speeds (>30 mph) but if you slow down they are okay.

8. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    Good Morning, You might want to check out the Southern Skimmers, I've got one & love it.

They are very similiar to the Carolina Skiffs. Mine will beat you to death in rough water but you won't get wet !! The top of the gunnels are very wide, about 12" & it really rolls the water back down.

Mine's a 20' with a 70hp 4-stroke Suzuki, it's loaded down with all kinds of stuff and a "T" top. It will go about 32mph on a calm day.

Check'em out, they are made in N.C., their phone # is 1-252-728-6507.