Does anyone Fish Perry Spillway for Flats

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by biglope, Aug 17, 2009.

1. biglope

biglope New Member

State:
    Kansas
    On Wednsday they will be letting out 2500 cfm. They are currently letting out 750cfm. I would like to go for some big flats and not sure if anyone would be able to give me some hints of where to start. I dont think that I have ever been to perrys spillway so any help would be appreciated.

2. shelbygt1979

shelbygt1979 New Member

State:
    Olathe, KS
    Matt, Just to let you know according to this website they will start letting out 2500 on thursday not wendsday however that is still subject to change if we get more rain like they are calling for to keep from flooding downstream like at Truman.

I would just start at the outlet an fish with live bait they should be there you just have to wait them out is all. Might be hit or miss but the rain an the release should help at lot.

Here is the link to the lake forecast website that i was talking about:

http://www.nwk.usace.army.mil/WaterManagement/ThreeDayLakeForecast.cfm

3. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    Best way to catch them is the way everyone seems to at the spillways. Get a nice size piece of lead and a nice size trouble hook and go down after dark.:eek:oooh:

4. rush_60

rush_60 New Member

State:
    Troy, KS

I didn't know perry ran into truman.:wink:

5. shelbygt1979

shelbygt1979 New Member

State:
    Olathe, KS
    Huh????:confused2: I am talking about the water coming from the outlet rising the Kansas river an in turn flooding Truman. With all the rain we had they have also lowered the release rate down to 1500 on thursday instead of 2500.

And yes Perry is part of the Missouri River Basin

Flood protection includes over three thousand acres downstream of the dam along the Delaware River and contributes to the protection of the Kansas River, Missouri River, and the Mississippi River.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2009
  6. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    I don't fish the Perry Spillway anyway, but I'd say that 2500cfs is almost too much water coming out to fish a small outlet like that.

7. mandingo

mandingo Member

State:
    kansas
    i used to fish it and catch big flathead out of it all the time.2500 was about the least amount they would let out when i went to fish.it gets real good from 4000 to 12000,the more the merrier.i started off fishing the rocks right below the wall but lost too much tackle down there.then i learned how to fish from on top of the wall right where you park.first you gotta have a heavy action rod with at least 300 yards of 40+ lb line,and then find the biggest live bait you can fit on a hook.my go to bait used to be crappie that were 8-12 inches.when they let out about 4000 i would use a 6-8 oz weight and up to 16oz when it got up to 8000-12000.i would cast down current as far as i could and let line out until i started to feel the weight hitting bottom,keep letting out line until you dont feel the weight lifting up off the bottom anymore.the bait usually settled around where the white water would be calming down which would be 100-150 yards from where i was.the advantage from fishing up top is that your line does not get dragged by the current like what happens when you fish on the rocks.now the big trick to landing a fish when you get them hooked is the kicker here.when they are letting out 2500+,you are not gonna get a big flat anywhere it needs to be to drop a dropnet to get them.i used to have to climb over both barricades while someone else held my rod until i got over the barbwire and then i had to shimmy out to the end of the wall to get the line on the other side of the wall and then shimmy back to the barricade and hand my rod down to someone on the rocks.yeah its alot of work to land a fish but the first time i hooked a good one up there i wasnt gonna cut the line so i did what was necessary to land him.my 1st one was about 45 and the biggest ive landed there was 50+.i wanna say back in 04 when perry was flooded right before 4th of july they were letting out 12000 which is the most i have ever seen them let out,i hooked into 4 fish in 2 days that i never got a look at.i climbed out on that wall for every one of them and once i got them down on the rocks they would run me up and down those rocks and wedge their heads under them big rocks,alls i could do was to wait them out and keep pressure on the line until they decided to come out.on all 4 of them fish the frayed my leader line on the rocks until they broke off.someone ended up calling me in when they saw me out on the wall and the game warden came down while i was fighting a fish and he asked me if i was on the wall and i said yes and didnt lie but he just gave me a warning and told me what he will do to me next time he catches me,so after that i never really went wall walking anymore.i think it would be almost impossible nowdays to fish up top just because of all the snaggers and jig fishermen that like to cast to the other side of the spillway and snag your line all the time.best time i would think would be on a week night when nobody is down there.moral of the story is that yes them big flats are in there,you just have to figure out how to get to where they are without getting snagged.

8. mavmannate

mavmannate New Member

State:
    De soto, Kansas
    yall know if there is good crappie and/or bait fish/castnet spots along the dam? i got a small boat w/ a 4hp motor. not too enthused about going on a crosslake trip in it lol. i know there according to there map a boat ram is somewhat near it off a point on the south side.

thanks!