Does anyone fish Lake Atkins?

Discussion in 'ARKANSAS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by rushryder, Jul 14, 2007.

1. rushryder

rushryder New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    A buddy of mine was talking about running jugs or limblines on Lake Atkins. Does anyone know if there are good cats in that Lake?

2. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    That's where I started fishing for cats when I moved back to Arkansas in 1983. I can't give you any current info, but I've caught 20# blues and 10# channels there. Fella named Paul Pratt used to take several flatheads over 50# out of the lake every spring. I used to have good luck in the cove where the spillway is located. Several years back, though, they 'drained' the lake, which was actually a severe drawdown that left water only in deep channels and the borrow pit. I heard that short trotlines baited with live bream, and located within 50' of the edge of the borrow pit produced good flatheads in the spring, but I never fished for them. At that time, money was real short, and I was after food for the table.

3. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    I have not fished the Lake for cats but I did manage to catch some nice red-ear.

4. bigboy113054

bigboy113054 New Member

State:
    Prattsville,Arkansas
    Top are talking about the lakr near Pine Bluff? If you are i never cautch many cats out that lake. But bream and crappie fishing is great.

5. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Lake Atkins is located between Atkins and the Arkansas River. Atkins is about halfway between Morrilton and Russellville, right on I40. Used to be the home of Atkins pickles, till they closed down the factory.
    Lake Atkins is a Fish & Game lake, somewhere around 670 acres. A few boat lanes were cut through the woods before filling, but otherwise, the lake is flooded timber, most of which has rotted off at or below waterline.