Does anyone fish barren river lake in Kentucky

Discussion in 'KENTUCKY RIVERS TALK' started by timmyw68, Feb 15, 2006.

1. timmyw68

timmyw68 New Member

State:
    Franklin Kentucky
    I fish barren lake just about every weekend can catch all the eating size you would want up to 8 pounds but can't seem to find the big ones :confused:

2. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    First of all welcome to the BOC. No, I've never fished it. Hang in there and someone should chime in with some help. I'm not that familiar with the lake. Does it have all three species of the big cats(Blues, Channels, and Flatheads)? If you are after a particular species, you might try posting about fishing for them in lakes in the species threads(Catfish Discussion section). Vern

3. smells like old liver!

smells like old liver! New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I fish barren river lake, you seem to it it when you said you mostly catch eating size fish, lots of 2-10lb. we have cought a few larger ones some flats. what part do you fish? we mostly fish browns ford and beaver creek.

4. timmyw68

timmyw68 New Member

State:
    Franklin Kentucky
    I fish the other end of the lake been wanting to fish browns but we have a pontoon on the peninsula and it is very slow I got a

5. timmyw68

timmyw68 New Member

State:
    Franklin Kentucky
    I the other end been wanting to fish browns ford but we have a pontoon on the peninsula boat dock and it is very slow.I got me a faster boat only had it in the water 2 times 1st time the water pump went out had to put right back on the trailer 2nd time we was catfishing at hurricane creek and the boat all most sunk it has been one thing after another .

6. smells like old liver!

State:
    kentucky
    have you been fishing barren this winter? I've been a couple of times and about froze to death. looking forward to putting the hurts on them this spring I have plans to build a log jam and bait up the cove that we fish hopefully this weekend

7. stonemaster

stonemaster New Member

State:
    versailles, ky.
    Where is this lake? How far from lexington?

8. timmyw68

timmyw68 New Member

State:
    Franklin Kentucky
    havent been since middle of nov I was going this weekend to try out a pontoon but the weather did not favor a trip to the lake hope to get started in the next week or two

9. timmyw68

timmyw68 New Member

State:
    Franklin Kentucky
    it is in allen and barren county i say it is about 130 to 150 miles from lexinton

10. smells like old liver!

State:
    kentucky
    I've been looking for an old pontoon to do some fishing out of. how are they for river fishing?

11. timmyw68

timmyw68 New Member

State:
    Franklin Kentucky
    we use one on the lake just about every weekend it is a thirty footer with a sun deck it has canvas sides that makes a tent and makes it handy to sleep on but it is my dads and it is for sale. so im going to buy another one to deck out for catfishing as for the use of a pontoon on the river i don't think it would be good for river fishing.

12. smells like old liver!

State:
    kentucky
    I had the same idea about outfitting a pontoon for catfishing, I take two or three buds with me when I go and was thinking a pontoon would give you alittle leg room. do you know how much he's asking for the pontoon?

13. timmyw68

timmyw68 New Member

State:
    Franklin Kentucky
    he is asking 8,000 dollars it is a 89 with a 60hp motor 30' long it has a bathroom a sink and cabnets it would sleep about 10 or 12 it has a sun deck it is in a slip at the penisula boat dock it has no trailer it is like house boat

14. timmyw68

timmyw68 New Member

State:
    Franklin Kentucky
    going to the lake this weekend:) to try out the boat and mabe catch a few of the little kittys and also see the lay of the land while the lake is at winter pool i will let you know how we did

15. smells like old liver!

State:
    kentucky
    Hey Timmy, good luck at the big mud hole! I will be down there tomorrow myself. going to build some log jams in the coves we fish then over to the dam to load up on some shad to vacum seal!! good luck with your fishing and leave a few of those liver eaters for me:)

16. timmyw68

timmyw68 New Member

State:
    Franklin Kentucky
    how do you catch shad this time of year at the dam

17. smells like old liver!

State:
    kentucky
    we get our shad at the spillway below the dam, with a net or a casting net, they will be in the small water that backs up a the edge of spillway in front of the parking lot. EZ 5min. job and if you find a nice spinning reel and rod please return it. :sad:
    thanks

18. dbm92

dbm92 New Member

State:
    Franklin Kentucky
    hey did you get out to the lake last week and set up your log jam at the big mud hole:cool:

19. dbm92

dbm92 New Member

State:
    Franklin Kentucky
    hey did you get out to the lake last week and set up your log jam.:cool:

20. smells like old liver!

State:
    kentucky
    yep we made it out and gave the fish a few more places to hide! or a few more places to get our lines hung up!