Does anyone ever have any luck with bluegill for catfish?

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by river_rat_42, Apr 20, 2006.

1. river_rat_42

river_rat_42 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I was just wondering if any of you guys ever catch any catfish out of rivers while using bluegill for bait. I've used it a few times in the Ohio River but I never get a hit. I finally got my hands on some nice shad and the first time ever fishing with shad and on the first cast as well I caught a nice 23lb. blue cat. I dont get to use shad very often though, but I can use bluegill anytime. So I was just wondering if anyone ever catches river cats using bluegill, and if so, cut bait or live (what size too). Thanxxx

2. caatstalker

caatstalker New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    live for flatties work best in okla for me cut for blues , but mostly just use them live for flats .skippies or gizzard/threadfins/horneyheads,sunfish, for blues.

3. cottonmouth

cottonmouth New Member

State:
    southeast tn
    I've caught a few with em cut up here in tn but not a one on a whole one, but i wasn't in a major river either . haave caught channels and blues with cut bait though

4. BigCatSteve

BigCatSteve New Member

State:
    Huber Heights,Ohio
    bluegills are great,they are the first bait i get when gathering my bait for a trip.shad is usually second

5. RiverKing

RiverKing New Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    I fish mainly the Ohio River, and i have used bluegill on occasion, and i think i have only caught 1 flathead, and he was about the same size as the bluegill..LOL....i suggest live 5 to 6 innch chubbs or suckers...you can catch them in a cast net if you know of any little creeks or streams

6. TNcat

TNcat New Member

State:
    TN
    Craig it seems where ever you go Channels and Blues will hit cut bait best, and Flatties will hit the live stuff.

Cottonmouth welcome to the BOC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Always good to see TN people on here.

7. trfoster

trfoster New Member

State:
    north carolina
    oh yes when i run a trot line i use four to six inch ones and shad also ill hookem though the eye sockets and let it ride til morning:) use heads and cut bait on rods with the channel current moving pretty steady here at high rock where im at live ones usually swim back towards bank or the current pushes them back:)

8. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    I fish with bluegill quite often here in iowa .When im fishing the missouri river i use them live and mostly catch larger channels and some nice flatheads.not so many blues but there seem to be more of the blues every year up this far. Last year in augest i cought a 19# blue it was good to see .i turned it back because i would like to see more of them seems to be quite alot moore down towards kansas city. but flat heads thats another story some realy nice ones many 20 and 30 pounders to be had and they just love live bluegills. In 2004 i caught and boated a monster 71# flathead at the mouth of the little river.And if you happen to drift fish for channel cats. bluegill heads and filets are killer bait I hope this helps. Bigcatman0816.

9. beaneye46

beaneye46 New Member

State:
    indiana
    i like to use bluegills, thats pretty much all i use actually. but i like to go for flathead. i have caught some nice blues with them though. but ive caught more nice blues with shad. i would recommend getting a throw net, you can get one cheap at walmart and shad are a lot easier to get with one of them

10. DM1975

DM1975 New Member

State:
    Manhattan, Kansas
    I have had pretty good luck with bluegils here in Kansas. I use them live on my line hooked through the eyes or the lip. I have caught just channels here so far but this is the first season I have fished here, back in Texas I mainly got flatheads with them.

11. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Big green gills and bright pumpkin seeds work really good they seem to kick longer than chubs or shiners too.

12. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    First off, I think pretty much everybody will agree that a live bluegill is a top flathead bait. Blues and channels will hit them, too, live or cut. Personally I miss a lot of blues and channles on live bluegills. They crush the 'gill and don't get hooked. For blues and channels (unless you're specifically targeting a trophy blue), I'd stick to cut bait.

Yes, all cats will hit bluegills, but things vary a lot river to river. Even within the fairly local area around home here in SC, the bait preference of the cats varies. Basically, I think the fish are sort of programmed to eat whatever is most common in their river. If there are a lot of shad in your river, then they are going to be a more effective bait. In some of the irvers around here, cut bluegills are the best bait, becuase that's what the fish see - very few shad around.

Even in the same river it can vary seasonally. We also have a run of American shad and blueback herring in some of the South Carolina rivers. Fall and winter, cut mullet is a great bait in the upper Cooper River. But from February through May you had better have the shad or herring or just stay home.

13. Abu65

Abu65 Member

State:
    Kentucky
    My luck with Bluegills very. I will usually use them alot in the spring but after that I rarely take them.

14. cuttingout69

cuttingout69 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Here in Louisiana, You can not keep a bluegill alive on the hook for very long at all. I always use pond perch or red perch. As you know, things differ in other areas across the country.

15. Johnnyelcamino

Johnnyelcamino New Member

State:
    Texas
    Hey, yes sir great bait in Texas, we catch em in a baited box then hook em right in the back above the dorsel fin, they have stayed alive like that on a trot line for days and the big cats love em. We also use the perch too, not too big though they seem to bite the small to medium....Johnnyelcamino

16. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    I use bluegill exclusively for Flatheads in the James River and Roanoke River. The bigger the gill, the bigger the cat. I like to get big gills from farm ponds. You may have to wait awhile for a cat big enough to swallow it, but hey, the bait will still be fresh and the cat will be worth waiting for. I'm in the mountains fishing the upper (smaller) end of rivers so I don't have the populations some of these guys have. There are no shad in these areas so bream are the main feed fish. The bream used to be so plentyfull here before the Flatheads came, (about 15 years ago) that we could catch a hundred a day easily. Now they have been thinned out so much they have really gotten hard to catch in the rivers. :006:

17. CATFISHPAT

CATFISHPAT New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    #1 bait in oklahoma: 3 inch bluegill My best fish are cought with bluegills cut shad is #2.This is what works for me.......

18. bsu_catfisher

bsu_catfisher New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, Indiana
    I also fish the Ohio river and we have caught several fish on bluegill. I will agree that from my experience that flats are the ones that like it most. Another thing we love to do is go to some small creeks and use nightcrawlers and catch creek cubs and use them for flats also. I have hooked bluegill both through the back and through the tail. We also use a lot of shad when we fish and skipjack when we can get ahold of them. If I was you I would really try and find a good way to get shad. We normally hit the feeder creeks using a cast net to get our shad of all sizes.

19. confederate

confederate New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I personally like bream on my limblines and I set them where the dorsal fin is just out of the water, unlike most folk I know I like to use a 7-9/0 circle hook and use a bream that is right about eating size say 8" or so...Hope this helps

20. torment_hack

torment_hack New Member

State:
    california
    bluegills work... but i like talapia better...they stay alive longer on the hook. Also i know a place i can get about 40 in one cast of the net...