Does anyone else use fish handling gloves?

Discussion in 'Misc Fishing Tackle Talk' started by field989, Jun 1, 2006.

1. field989

field989 New Member

State:
    east central indiana
    i use lindy gloves, you can take a knife(on the black part of the glove) and try to cut it and it wont. they are awesome!!!

just wonderin if any1 else used gloves of any type

2. beeheck

beeheck New Member

State:
    Iowa / Missouri
    I don't use the gloves now but I'm going to. I have been 100% catch and release for 15 to 20 years and have just started keeping a few smaller fish to eat. We had a catfish fry this Memorial Weekend at the lake and it was great but trying to handle the catfish and fillet them was a hassle plus I didn't want to get stuck by the fish or the knife. I'm not the most careful person in the world and have several scars to prove this. So, I went looking for a glove today and didn't find one that I like. I want that is puncture proof as well as cut proof and I don't know if they make one. Next time I fillet a catfish it will be with a glove.

3. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    My wife does....I think my sister also......maybe my sister in law as well......I think my aunt uses them......maybe my Grandma had a pair as well.....gonna get mom some for her birthday. LMAO

Just messin with ya, I like them scrapes and cuts, battle scars are OK by me.

4. Doctor

Doctor Member

State:
    Springfield, Ohio
    I wear gloves because I don't want those battle scars, seems to take forever to heal as I get older, so I wear them, notice my avatar glove on the hand, trust me when that girl bit down I'm real glad I had that glove on, it's a Kevlar and she still left the marks across my hand...............Doc

5. YeeHaw

YeeHaw New Member

State:
    Quincy Illinois
    I've been thinking about getting a pair of fishing gloves. Sure would save your fingers, lol.

6. Majesticman

Majesticman New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I saw a guy fillet a crappie using one and when he made the first cut though the ribs he laid his hand flat on the fish and pressed it down. The knife just slid right through the fish. I need to get one and try it.

7. field989

field989 New Member

State:
    east central indiana
    well im glad i have got a pair cause when i was handelin this fish he chomped down and started doina death roll lol and i hurt through the glove i can just imagin what it would have been like with out the glove...:big_smile:

8. Crackr

Crackr New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I do not use gloves, and I handle with care all catches as best as possible.

9. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I keep a filet glove handy, but I haven't used it yet. Main reason I have it is for the longnosed gar that are common around here. I don't want to end up with one on my line and not be prepared.
    After seeing the video on the right with that 65# blue and the guys hands afterward, being prepared is looking better and better.

10. TNVOLCAT

TNVOLCAT New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I just bought a new pair today. You know I've got to keep these computer typing fingers in good shape!

11. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    I went to store today to pick up a pair for Madison, she refused. Said she was tougher then that. LMAO

12. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    I have never used a glove but I think it is a great idea and think i will try one just to save a little skin.

13. kccats

kccats New Member

State:
    Olathe, Kansas
    I keep gloves for pulling in big cats.
    But since I never catch one, they are un used.
    If I ever do get a big cat on, I probably will forget that I even have them or take the time to put them on.

14. field989

field989 New Member

State:
    east central indiana
    i think it kinda depends if u use a net or not,

i dont i just reach down and grab them on the bottom lip, but most of my cats(75%) are in the 10lb+ range

15. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    In my avatar the blood on my left hand isn't fish blood:crazy:

I usually have my big net in the boat now, but if I don't you can bet there is a pair of gloves in it somewhere.

16. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    hmmm, maybe I should be thinking about a pair also. I always have a towel that I use, but then a glove would probably be easier and even better.

17. slimcat

slimcat New Member

State:
    marion kentucky
    Nope, never have, never will. Just part of catfishing. I guess I am used to it.LOL

18. LadyValea1

LadyValea1 New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Tex
    I have the right hand Lindy glove....boy they are expensive!!!

Anyway, I'm wondering if Longnose gar teeth can push into the glove?
    I have not tried it..So anyone used it for gar teeth? Thanks

19. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    rotflmao thats funny stuff and no I dont wear gloves

20. JDWILLIS39

JDWILLIS39 New Member

State:
    NC
    I don't carry one in boat (big dip net) but I use one to clean fish. I am not as steady as used to be and when I sharpen a knife it will cut you really bad if you miss. Usually just wear one on my left hand. They really work and am thinking about getting on for the boat. I used to be really tough but now just enjoy having fun and bad cuts and scrapes are not fun. The one I have works really well. LOL