Does anyone else see something wrong with the Pennsylvania catfish regulations

Discussion in 'LOCAL PENNSYLVANIA TALK' started by great pappy cat, Feb 16, 2007.

1. great pappy cat

great pappy cat Active Member

State:
    P.A
    I see catfish as game fish but they're not protected like game fish.They're is seasons and size limitations for musky,bass and,walleye why not catfish.50 per person per day,no size limitations or protected season just seems wrong to me.Does any one else agree.I think atleast there shold be a regulation to protect and preserve large fish and they're genes.Like maybe only 1 or 2 fish over 27", and or reducing the total kept fish to 25 or less.What do you guys think?

2. tbartek

tbartek New Member Supporting Member

State:
    New Germany, PA
    Joe, welcome to the BOC :0a25: I agree as would most catfishermen. But the fish comission would just screw it up like they do most other things, so its probably better that we let the other guys who think catfish are a waste of time to let them keep thinking that. I don't know how many times guys have said to me "you eat catfish?" Its their loss I think we should keep them in the dark. You don't know what a gamefish can be until you hook into a 24" channel cat and have to fight it the whole way to the bank:smile2:

3. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    You hit the nail right on the head that time! :wink: Pa. Game Commission is having monumental problems with everything!

4. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Joseph,

I don't know about western and central Pennsylvania, but out here in the Philadelphia area, the rivers are somewhat polluted so not that many people eat catfish. I see many many catfish released last year. Also, the PA Fish Commission also scares people by telling them they have all knids of chemicals in them. Having a polluted river does have it's advantages, for catfish that is. EAT MORE BASS!

5. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Out in the Eastern part of the state the fish commission encourages people to kill all Flatheads!:angry: Since they are not native to those waters the fish commission don't want them around. I personally release all Flatheads I catch and will keep only smaller Channels if I want fish for the table. The mighty Flathead is king of the fishes to me and I treat them as such!:cool2:

6. Ahquabi_Master

Ahquabi_Master New Member

State:
    WDM Iowa
    Welcome Brother...I will agree with you on this one. There is definitely a problem when there is a daily allowance of 50 catfish without limitation on size. Maybe we should think about writing letters to Pa Wildlife Department.

7. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    I agree with you that our regs need work. For catfish the creel limit is to high, it should be cut in half and I'd like to see a slot for big fish. I'd also like to see the use of jugs & trotlines to be allowed.

8. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    It's not just PA many state do not see catfish as a game fish. I have been working with MD fisheries for over a year and from the start that was my goal. But like everything the Goverment is in on it need to go by tons of people to even by voted on as a new law. And the trouble here is many of them do not fish and don't seem to care until they see where the catfish can bring $$$$ into the state. My goal is to get a law pass here in Md where 15 catfish a day and only one over 30" most of the fisheries officers are with me on this but it may take two years to get in into a fishing law.

9. socex

socex New Member

State:
    Industry, Pennsylvania
    I don't think the regs. on catfish need changed. I don't know of anyone taking catfish in western PA. The only time I see big cats taken from the waters is for tourney measurments, then they are released. This might be different in lakes in such, However in the river systems people aren't catching catfish for consumption. If it's happening it's on a miniscule level that shouldn't take away from big fish populations.

10. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    I find it really wierd that in the Delaware river,a river that is bordered by Pennsy and Jersey. If you are fishin with a Jersey license ya can only keep 5 cats minimum of 12 inches. Yet the very same river with a Pennsy license ya keep a whole hell of a lot more. Gotta wonder who is in charge. LOL!

11. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    I disagree with wanting to allow jugs & trotlines! We have way too many boaters and fishereman in our state to be stringing jugs and trots across our waterways. I would be mad as hell if I pulled up to a favorite spot and found a trot line where I planned to fish all night!:angry:

12. socex

socex New Member

State:
    Industry, Pennsylvania

Good point Scott, I too would be highly upset to travel to a fav. spot and find trot lines. I don't want to see the fish commision mess with the catfish rules, they will just end up screwing something up. I only want the rule of no cast nets to be changed so I don't have to get creek chubs in Ohio.

13. Wally

Wally New Member

State:
    FLORIDA
    Govenrment... that's all there is to say!!

Ed Rendell and his bunch of cronies WILL wreck a 1 car funeral!!!!

14. delawareriver

delawareriver Member

State:
    bath pa
    ahh i think we have discussed this before, but i really like my shad, native trout, smallmouth and many more gamefish that would be impacted on flatheads in the delaware and its tributaries. so if i catch one ill be frying it up. ill go out west if i really wanna fish for the flatheads. not to big of a deal

i also agree with the rules, 50 fish especialy catfish is alot of fish, i would like to see catfish like channels go to about 10 at the max with a min of 14 inchs or so. it wouldnt be hard to catch a limit if you wanted to keep some fish to fry up but you wont be wasting any ether. flatheads even less and a higher length, maybe 4 fish at 20 inchs. i think this sure would keep some quality fish in the waterways.