Does anyone else do this?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Smuggo, May 23, 2007.

1. Smuggo

Smuggo New Member

State:
    sc
    I went with a guy that is a hardcore trot and limb liner to do a little rod and reel fishing. We were both fishing Abu's but he set his rods differently than i did.

I always cast my baits, reel in the slack, disengage the spool and set the clicker by adjusting the brake to prevent line from feeding out with current etc.

He set up the same way but left the spool engaged and simply loosened the drag to let the fish pull line from the reel against a light drag.

My way seems much easier. Just turn the handle,engage the spool and set the hook against a pre-set drag.

His way means "thumbing" the spool for a solid hook set then adjusting the drag to fight the fish.

Just wondering if this(his) way is common because I have never seen it done like that.

2. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    I'm with you. Hate going in after the rod & reel...too expensive to lose. And when the big fish hit, seems like it happens fast. That's the point to having a bait clicker isn't it? I think that's one of spincast shortcomings. In fact I bait my rigs and leave em out of the water until they are all ready. I had my son with me one day, turned my back after laying my outfit down on the bank, when I turned back around, it was gone.....never heard a thing.....Spooky.
    :embarassed:

3. Rhinospawn

Rhinospawn New Member

State:
    North Dakota
    i used to do this but since i went to circle hooks, i fish like you do.. tight drag and set clicker.

4. Backwater

Backwater New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I'm with your buddy. Only after setting light drag, I engage the clicker also. A determined cat can hit your bait hard and fast enough to cause a backlash if there is not enough resistance. Although a screaming bait clicker is a very sweet sound, it also means you fish is getting a big lead toward getting under that big log.
    I set the drag just light enough to ensure the rod or holder will stay on the bank/boat. Besides, isn't that what sells all those ABU's anyway? That smooth fighting drag?

5. Bigun

Bigun New Member

State:
    Burnet, TX
    I do the way the other guy does. I set the drag in the medium range. I can catch the line and pull line off with a firm resistance. My rods are in driftmaster rod holders so they are not going anywhere. I am catching mostly smaller eatin size fish but I use 50 -65# Power Pro. If a fish takes the bait and takes off the rod takes a significant load. With the spool free and the clicker set It seems like they are more likely to drop the bait before the hook is set. I don't move very fast so it takes me a bit to get hold of the rod. There is probably not much revelance between what I do and those of you who go after the big ones. Different strokes for diferent conditions. You have to do what works for you. Good fishing!!!

6. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I like your way better.

Actually, i leave the reel engaged and wait on the cats to hook themselves. Seems to me to be the best way of all, best hook up ratio. (Kahle hooks, btw)

7. Ghoulscout 13

Ghoulscout 13 New Member

State:
    North carolina
    i cast, reel in slack, engage clicker and disengage the spool when im bank fishing (wich is always cuz my boats not done yet) i normally only bank fish with one cat rod out and then i fish for bream(for bait) next to it, this lets me keep an eye on it but if im busy doing somthing else ill ear the clicker and be able to engage the spool and set the hook.

8. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    yep i do the same circles + rod holders = fish on. ill loosen up the drag enough that the fish wont rip my rod holder out of the ground and then wait for the bent pole and smokin drag.

9. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I fish with a tight line and the clicker on.

10. txthumper1691

txthumper1691 New Member

State:
    Temple, Tx.
    I have found I dont get as many fish if I use tight line, I cast out, and set drag, leave th slack alone. a good rod holder + slack line + circle hook + medium action rod = fish. If u rod is too stiff then u will miss more fish. u need it to give some so it will set th hook, if its too stiff, th fish will feel it an spit th bait out, anyways that been my experience.

11. catstalker459

catstalker459 New Member

State:
    state line city, indiana
    click it and let em run, i love that sound

12. sarSWAMPFOX

sarSWAMPFOX New Member

State:
    Union, South Caroilna
    For me it depends on what kind of situation I'm fishig, from fairly smooth bottom lakes, stump filled swamps, to log jammed rivers. The least amount of resistance up until hook set is the goal but with heavy cover (WHERE MOST THE BIG FISH ARE) you dont want to give up to much, you want to get them up and out fast. If your fish makes to a snag, high prob your gonna lose him anyway. As for losing my rods, noway I got 300 lb test linyards on each 5ft long. I love big fish but I love my gear as well.

13. STUMPKNOCKER

STUMPKNOCKER New Member

State:
    Georgia
    I do just like u, but my partner does the drag thingy

14. barraGouda

barraGouda New Member

State:
    SC
    i set the drag and pay attention. at least until later in the 12 pack... i mean, night. :big_smile:

15. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    I loosen up the drag and do the same thing.

16. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Smuggo, I bet he was using a 6500 right? For river fishing and larger baits, the 6500 doesn't have enough holding power in free-spool for me. The size baits I like combined with the current just cause the clicker to go off constantly. The only way to combat this is to do what he does. Engage the reel and loosen the drag till you get the balance and tension you need, plus flip the clicker on. Its the same principal as free-spool and clicker you can adjust it to suit your needs. I mainly use 7000's and they have an additional tension knob on the left that lets me crank down until I can keep a 2lb carp in place in 6mph whitewater and still be in free-spool. My 6500's I can't come close to that unless I engage them and loosen the drag.

17. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    This thread is going to get me up off my wallet long enough to buy a lever drag reel.$$$$$$$$$$$:eek:oooh:

18. Game_Of_Inches

Game_Of_Inches New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Katmandeux took the words right out of my mouth. For all of you guys that loosen your drag instead of free spool and clicker you should definately pony up the cash for a 7000 with lever drag. This will eliminate any drag adjusting problems on the fly for you. I personally use clicker and free spool. I do have a 7000 with lever drag in good shape that I'll trade up for a 9000 Big game or a regular 7000 if anyone is interested.

19. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    :0a27:

Even though all of my Reels are Spinning Outfit - the Reels on them are freeliner (Baitrunners), but that is the way to go -
    "Your Way"!
    :confident:

Take it easy,
    Bert:cool2: & Shania:0010:

:worship::0a23:
    Bert & Phil

20. south_va_fisherman

south_va_fisherman New Member

State:
    Muddy Cross, Virginia
    his way seems like it would be slow and maybe miss hook ups. i wouldnt think setting the drag with a monster pulling at the same time would be all that easy