Does anyone else Deep fry their turkey ?

Discussion in 'The BOC Diner' started by lawnman61, Dec 29, 2007.

1. lawnman61

lawnman61 New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Tex
    6 years ago I fried my first turkey and now it's the only way I really like my turkey cooked. It's been getting more and more popular in the last few years.
    So I started a small business every Thanksgiving and Christmas and started taking orders for turkey frying. This year has been my best years so far, I fried 36 turkeys between Turkey day and X-Mas.
    They always turn out so juicy, even the white meat is very juicy.
    If you have never had fried turkey before then your missing out on some of the best turkey you've ever eaten. I get repeat business every year and I just seem to keep getting more and more business each year.
    Tell me how you like your turkey cooked.
    :big_smile:

2. gardengrz

gardengrz New Member

State:
    wakeman,ohio
    ya we eat alot of turkey cheap eatin:smile2: deep fried is good but it seems i gottu be in th mood to mess with the oil and scrub the kettle:angry: probably most of them we just put in a glass cake pan and put in electric roaster for 5 1/2 hours. no work and fallin off th bone good. we save the broth and boil up th left overs and make a killer soup.:cool2: usually end up freezin a container for a rainy day

3. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    my brother in law deep fried his for thanksgiving for us. Its the best. if it werent for home made gravy, I wouldnt see the need to bake a turkey again.

4. lawnman61

lawnman61 New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Tex
    I like it roasted to but since I been cooking with deep fryer, I get a lot of requests for my fried turkeys and I really don't mind cleaning the kettles and messing with the oil. I love cooking outside.
    I'm in the process of making a trailer with all my smoking equipment. I won a new hand made smoker from our local volunteer fire dept raffle and I only spent $10 on tickets.
    :big_smile:

5. rspd507

rspd507 New Member

State:
    Rising Sun,IN
    Al,
    I had my first deep fried turkey a few years back and let me tell ya, theres no comparison to baked. I didnt cook it but the guy who did knew what he was doing. He injected of types of seasoning into it with it being so juicy, it would just melt in your mouth. rspd507

6. billcatfish

billcatfish New Member

State:
    evansville Ind
    i deep fryed my first turkey about eight years a go an its the only way ill eat a turkey if im at a famly gathering an there is a baked one i wont eat it it just dont tast the same

7. lawnman61

lawnman61 New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Tex
    Bill, I know what you mean brother, it's the only way I like mine too.
    :wink:

8. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    I deep fry quite often, but since we had deep fried at Thanksgiving, but this year for Christmas, I cooked the turkey and a boston butt on the pit, bbq sauce, and um, um good.

9. Wil

Wil New Member

State:
    Minden Nebraska
    just had one christmas, i love the things lol

10. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Scott, we fried our turkey, but we boiled the giblets and made about a gallon of giblet gravy. We've still got some left over to eat with our leftover stuffing.

11. Lngbo

Lngbo New Member

State:
    Marion Ark
    I deep fried two this year, everyone seemed to enjoy them and did not have much left over after the meal, that was a plus. A guy at work deep fries a lot for others.

12. cathooked

cathooked New Member

State:
    north carolina
    Tried my first one this year,my son-n-laws idea,his first too..Got to admit its the best ive had. He has never done neither have i,and i think thats only way ill have one now,not only am i cathooked im fried turkey hook also..Every one have a very Happy New Year........

13. slimepig

slimepig New Member

State:
    Kerrville Texas
    remember ya gotta be careful when fryin turkey. i nearly burnt my brothers back yard one time; luckily only a lil of it lol. i put the turkey in the pot, then filled with water to gauge how much oil i would need. what i forgot, was the rack which obviously displaces more oil than i figured. when i got the oil hot and put in the turkey with the rack, it boiled over and caught the grass on fire. hmmm, he hasnt asked me to cook another for him yet. wonder why? lol

14. bud1110

bud1110 New Member

State:
    East Texas
    I have eaten Fried Turkey before and it is very good. I never cooked one myself, but have what it takes to do so.

One our OWN Boc Members,(Deerhunter1) showed me how to cook a Trash Can Turkey at a Gathering in Arkansas one year. I do believe the Trash Can Turkey wins hands down over the Fried Turkey.

My wife wanted to Bake our Turkeys this year, and they were good, but not like a Trash Can Turkey. Meat falls off the bone, and extremely juicy too.

15. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    I enjoy it both fried and oven roasted. Fried is fast and usually gives a more juicy meat but roasting brings back the memories of holiday meals growing up and has the bonus of the awesome gravy and dressing from in the bird. I will usually roast a big one for Thanksgiving and Christmas and then fry a few throughout the year for picnics, get togethers, etc....

mike

16. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Yes Sir, love'm, we do usually 3-4 a year, when ever not just the holidays, also add a piece of heavy aluminum foil (the wide roll) on the inside of the pot from top down and it keeps the oil ring off the pot, easier clean-up :wink: as far as the gravy, Jtrew hit that one, this year we also done a 10# ham and it was super! Now I'm hungry for DEEP FRYED TURKY!! LOL

17. ldw45

ldw45 Member

State:
    Illinois
    Deep fried is good.....my all time favorite is with an old weber grill, use a drip pan, put charcoal on both sides, rub the turkey with cooking oil...cover the wings with alum. foil.....grill.......I like it better than deep fried.

18. lawnman61

lawnman61 New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Tex
    Sounds like quite a few like fried turkey. I think I'll put together something about fried turkey for the library in the next few days.

I love hearing how you like your cooked turkeys.

19. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania

How long do you keep it in the grill for?