DOES ANYONE EAT CATS FROM THE RIVERS?

Discussion in 'PENNSYLVANIA RIVERS TALK' started by zeboman, Feb 25, 2008.

1. zeboman

zeboman New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I won`t do it because of all the pcb`s and mercury,I usually just buy it.

2. whodaman

whodaman New Member

State:
    Des Moines Iowa
    i do from time to time but i soak all the fish i eat in salt water takes out the fishy taste

3. cchichy

cchichy New Member

State:
    Cookport,
    i eat channels i get out of the allagehney i got near kittanning... im still here .... i wouldnt eat like or then a few a year tough

4. cchichy

cchichy New Member

State:
    Cookport,
    also i keep the fish alive ... till i get home then let them sit in my own water in a tank for a few days

5. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Dan - A survey was done on Cats from the Allegheny this past summer and shockingly the Cats from middle Allegheny were found to be higher in Mercury level than those in the Pittsburgh area! :crazy: It is suspected the power plants along the river may be a factor!

6. cchichy

cchichy New Member

State:
    Cookport,
    most of the cats i eat come from local lakes.... so i dont worry too much ... but a little merc and pcb .... what ever lol :eek:oooh: cant be any worse then mcdondalds

7. orion_xxvx

orion_xxvx New Member

State:
    North Central Missouri
    I keep a few of the lake channels i catch every year I think bass are the worst for contaminants. I like the chariton river channels because they have so little fat. The fish that grow up in moving water are very muscular and if you keep 1.5 and 2 lbs they should have had time to absorb much.

8. wayne1967

wayne1967 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    You would be surprised how many fish from commercial fisherman end up in restraunts. I know one that hauls his catch live in a tanker to a very large city 100 miles away and sells them at the fish market.

9. PaCatfishHunter

PaCatfishHunter New Member

State:
    Greensburg, PA
    I catch most of my channels from the lake but I do catch and eat channel cats from the river. I just don't eat as much as I use to eat.

10. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Hell No! Too much mercury and PBC in the eastern part of the state.

11. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I am with Blacky here although i see people take them home all the time. My dad wanted to try one last summer even though i warned him against it. He took two bites and said it was awful. I advised him to bake it but he fried it. Probably made it even worse that he fried it.

12. waynesburgjay

waynesburgjay New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I've eaten lots of channelcats from the West branch susq.
    I don't know if I would eat one from the mon. Maybe a small one.

13. River dog

River dog New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    I don't eat any fish out of the rivers but take some smaller ones home from the local lakes ...

14. jjfisher666

jjfisher666 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    yes but some people wont let youngsters eat any taste fine maybe i could use a third arm how bad is the m in the missouri

15. back channel

back channel Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I would not eat any of the cats from the 3 river. Its like playing with fire. Sooner or later you will get burnt. Caught a 25 inch channel from the ohio and soon as it caught close to shore you could smeel that it must have been living near a sewage outlet. The stench you could smell from 10 feet away.:eek:oooh: From lakes is a different story. I will only keep fish that I use for bait.

16. jason berry

jason berry New Member

State:
    Evansville
    Im down the river from you penn boys so I guarantee the water here is horrible. I will not eat anything out of the Ohio River. I usually catch and eat stuff out of farm ponds or lakes especially crappie and little fidler channel cats. Ive been saying it for years my grand kids down the road will not be able to eat anything out of any river in the U.S. if pollution in our rivers is not regulated better. Just my opinion. Always pick your trash up even if other people dont.

17. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    Ever wonder why I havent gone west to ya guys to do some fishing? Its because you cant eat the fish. I wont waste my time fishing if I cant take any keepers home. I fish Greenlane reservoir (readings water source) and lake nockamixon. I live within walking distance of the lehigh river where a record was once caught but Ive never fished it because of the pollution the river once had. I dont want to have to watch how often I eat fish or have to worry about getting goofed up or passing something on when I have a 2nd child. I dont need cancer either bad enough my folks smoked indoors despite my pleading to go outside to smoke. The two years I've suggested a PA get together, it was always at Lake Nockamixon for this reason. That and its open 24 hrs where greenlane closes at dusk.