Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
i eat channels i get out of the allagehney i got near kittanning... im still here .... i wouldnt eat like or then a few a year tough

·
Registered
118 Posts
also i keep the fish alive ... till i get home then let them sit in my own water in a tank for a few days

·
Registered
10,863 Posts
Dan - A survey was done on Cats from the Allegheny this past summer and shockingly the Cats from middle Allegheny were found to be higher in Mercury level than those in the Pittsburgh area! :crazy: It is suspected the power plants along the river may be a factor!

·
Registered
118 Posts
most of the cats i eat come from local lakes.... so i dont worry too much ... but a little merc and pcb .... what ever lol :eek:oooh: cant be any worse then mcdondalds

·
Registered
397 Posts
I keep a few of the lake channels i catch every year I think bass are the worst for contaminants. I like the chariton river channels because they have so little fat. The fish that grow up in moving water are very muscular and if you keep 1.5 and 2 lbs they should have had time to absorb much.

·
Registered
527 Posts
You would be surprised how many fish from commercial fisherman end up in restraunts. I know one that hauls his catch live in a tanker to a very large city 100 miles away and sells them at the fish market.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Hell No! Too much mercury and PBC in the eastern part of the state.
I am with Blacky here although i see people take them home all the time. My dad wanted to try one last summer even though i warned him against it. He took two bites and said it was awful. I advised him to bake it but he fried it. Probably made it even worse that he fried it.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I would not eat any of the cats from the 3 river. Its like playing with fire. Sooner or later you will get burnt. Caught a 25 inch channel from the ohio and soon as it caught close to shore you could smeel that it must have been living near a sewage outlet. The stench you could smell from 10 feet away.:eek:oooh: From lakes is a different story. I will only keep fish that I use for bait.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Im down the river from you penn boys so I guarantee the water here is horrible. I will not eat anything out of the Ohio River. I usually catch and eat stuff out of farm ponds or lakes especially crappie and little fidler channel cats. Ive been saying it for years my grand kids down the road will not be able to eat anything out of any river in the U.S. if pollution in our rivers is not regulated better. Just my opinion. Always pick your trash up even if other people dont.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Ever wonder why I havent gone west to ya guys to do some fishing? Its because you cant eat the fish. I wont waste my time fishing if I cant take any keepers home. I fish Greenlane reservoir (readings water source) and lake nockamixon. I live within walking distance of the lehigh river where a record was once caught but Ive never fished it because of the pollution the river once had. I dont want to have to watch how often I eat fish or have to worry about getting goofed up or passing something on when I have a 2nd child. I dont need cancer either bad enough my folks smoked indoors despite my pleading to go outside to smoke. The two years I've suggested a PA get together, it was always at Lake Nockamixon for this reason. That and its open 24 hrs where greenlane closes at dusk.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.