Does anyone do their slip bobbers like this?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by JHalden, Jul 8, 2009.

1. JHalden

JHalden New Member

State:
    NorthCalifornia
    Hey everybody I don't like to use bobber stops because they just slide around on me when casting a heavy float, and I actually had one of them pop out the insert to the top guide on one of my rods. Where I catfish it is pretty much still water, I just use 2 swivels and put my slip bobber in between with as much line as I want it to have to move around on. Then a leader for however long I want. This way I don't have to screw around with bobber stops. Works great for me...

2. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I use a good stop knot for slip bobbers.

3. NJ CLAD

NJ CLAD New Member

State:
    Arizona
    One can fish any depth with a bobber stop, with your method you limit the depth to a short leader.

4. snakeman76

snakeman76 New Member

State:
    Tallahassee, Fl
    I just recently started using bobbers for cats I love em but I was having trouble with my stop knot I was uning line that was to big but I sorted all that out and no problems I got my info from the library look for the how to video by George

5. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

If you want you can get a bag of already tied bobber stop knots on little pieces of tubing so they,ll slide right on your line.A bag of 100 is like 5 bucks.I can tie a bobber stop knot,but I,ve just used these lately,saves me time.:wink:

6. shelbygt1979

shelbygt1979 New Member

State:
    Olathe, KS
    I use the already tied ones like patcat50 uses an is talking about.

I started using 3-4 maybe even 5 if I am using a big bobber an 5 oz of weight an they hold just fine. I do use braid for my fishing line so maybe thats why the hold better.

If I use just one bobber stop it will slid a lot also with 3-4 bobber stops if one fails they other's most likly won't at the same time. Also it does not affect anything when I reel all the way in on when casting.

Also if you buy the bobber stops already tied in the store look for the biggest one they sell the small ones don't work at all for me I used 6 an they still moved on me.

Hope this helps

7. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Great idea, I have never thought of using more than one stop at a time..But I sure will now, I got sick of the stops sliding and stoped using slip floats.

8. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Be hard to fish a float 20ft deep that way. And most people use them to suppend there baits from 8 to 40ft. I don't have issues with my bobber stops moving. As when done right, there almost tied into the line.
    If it does move do like some of the others and add more then one to your line.
    Good luck with fishing.
    Pete

9. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I usually buy the premade bobber stops from BPS..I have no problems.Like Jerry said with your method it kinda defeats its purpose..I slide mine up and down to locate where the fish are at..Its a good way to figure depth too when you don't have a depth or fishfinder..I also use dental floss as bobber stoppers sometimes..It pretty easy to tie a bobber stop..

10. smokey

smokey New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I dont have enough hands to tie a good stop knot. Do any of you have any tips with "the tie" thankx
    smokey

11. TITANSFAN2104

TITANSFAN2104 New Member

State:
    Smith county TN
    ive had bobbers that i forgot to put the lil pre tied on so i improvised and used some old 30 lb spiderwire- with this method you can get a big piece so that you can have a big loop to run your tag ends through! tgo me small diameter cinches down better but any thing thats fairly strong and small diameter should work !!

12. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    I use a lighter weight mono.... usually like 12lb line (it's in my tackle box) with no problems.

Just for you that can't tie their own shoes like me, this is a step by step of what I do.

Cut off 18 inches of line. No I don't need that much but I got a knif and HATE not having enough and having to start over. grab 1 end of the line with your thumb and 1st finger and hold it alongside your fishin line (short end down, long end wavin in the air slappin you in the face so's you think the mosquitos is gettin bad) take the long end and make a loop and stick that into you thumb 1st finger deal. Now.... You got main line, short end and loop line in your grasp. Using the other hand, grab the long part of the line and tie the loop to the main line by looping the long wavy end through the loop about 6 to 8 times. Then grab the long wavy end and the short tag end and pull. After adjusting it so the loops are all together like a snell, snip the ends and no slippy on the knot.

Hope this helps.... no I am not a teacher, can't you tell? :wink:

13. JHalden

JHalden New Member

State:
    NorthCalifornia
    I've actually never tried to tie a bobber knot i just use the pre tied ones, but they are what broke the tip on my rod. Good idea to use more than one to keep em from sliding, because I had the sliding issue with only 1 oz slip bobbers. Maybe I wont have that problem if they are down in my reel when I cast, they were close to the tip when I broke it...

14. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    The pre-tied bobber stops work great if you are using small weights and small floats crappie fishing. Thats what they are designed for.

But if you are using big weights 3+ oz and big bobbers use rubber bands or rubber gloves. Rubber bands are cheap, just half hitch your line at the depth you want to fish, insert the rubber band or small piece of a rubber glove and pull tight. Trim off the excess so it will easily reel up through your guides and into your reel. It's a lot easier and works a whole lot better than the pre-tied bobber stops. I used this with Petes (wild wolf products) Kat Bobbers and 5 oz. sinkers the other day to catch 15 cats from 5 to 15 lbs. fishing up in the generators at Kerr Dam in Oklahoma.

15. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Next time I use a slip bobber, I'ma use the BG method of using teflon tape instead of mono. Looks like it will work real good.

Oh...how does a bobber stop knot break a fishing pole? That's the part my mind is not grasping. You cast, and as the knot exited the tip, it pulled the insert out with it? Sounds more like a manufacturing defect more than a knot problem. Them things shouldn't come out that easy.

16. JHalden

JHalden New Member

State:
    NorthCalifornia
    Thanks everybody for the ideas I'm gonna have to try some of these out. I don't need to go down deep with my slip bobber rig I just prefer the slip bobber to the kind that clips on the line... I'm only giving my bobber about 2 ft or so to slide around with.