Does anyone dig worms any more?

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by KansasKatter, Jul 19, 2006.

1. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    The other day a buddy I work with and I were talking and I said something about going to the river after work and digging some worms. He looked at me like I was NUTS! Keep in mind, he is about 10 years younger than I am.

Seems like the digging of worms has become a lost art? When I was really little, I used to go with my dad and dig "river" worms all the time. He would not even use the worms like you buy in the store, he called them "sh***ers" (you can fill in the blanks). He would dig with the worm fork, (highly recommended if you do dig worms by the way!), and as he turned over the dirt, it was my job to pick out the worms and put them in the coffee can. The worms you could dig at the river were about 10 or 12" long, as big around as your pinky, and as tough as leather. The juice that comes out of them also floureces, or glows, big time at night. You glob a ball the size of a tennis ball, and you have some mighty fine bait my friends! Especially after a good rain. I can remember going to the river and seeing evidence of people digging worms all up and down the bank, but not any more. I guess it is just to easy to buy them now.

2. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    If I could find worms that size there is no way I would bother with buying them.

3. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    Curtis, I am not sure where you are at in Missouri, but I assure you that you can find them, with a little work. Any shaded, somewhat cooler part of a river or creek, right down at the water's edge, especially if the soil is a LITTLE sandy, but not too sandy. You can usually see sign of them, like big groups of holes in the bank from the night before. If you find one, keep digging, there will be a hundred in the same area.

And like I said, use a fork rather than a spade or shovel, it is way easier to dig, and you will not cut as many worms in half that way.

4. PeZ

PeZ New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I dug some worms about a month ago free bait is allways nice

5. catfishkatmando

catfishkatmando New Member

State:
    Salem, WV.
    I have read about them and my fcriend in Tx use to dig them when he was a kid. I sure would like to find some of those.

6. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Sandy? That could be the problem. Everywhere I have ever been (mostly Oklahoma and central Missouri) has quite a bit of clay in the soil. Most of the creeks near me are clay banks, and rivers are too far away. I guess Lake of the Ozarks could count, but where I am fishing is all rip rap.

I'll have to do some scouting. I might be able to find one or two spots between me and the fishing holes.

7. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    Clay works too, just have to get closer to the water, where it stays soft. The river banks around here are full of clay as well. Just take your worm fork with you the next time you go fishing, if the bite is slow, or just before you leave, make a couple of scoops, just to see if they are there. I bet they are. I used to dig some around Pittsburg (KS) while I was in college, real close to the MO border.

8. catfish_jordan

catfish_jordan New Member

State:
    Lincoln,NE
    i love to dig because you never know what you are going to find. so I dig for worms a lot mostly in wet shaded areas.:smile2:

9. BullDaddy

BullDaddy New Member

State:
    Bossier City, La.
    I am going to have to give this a shot. I remember my grandfather used to raise his own worms when I was a kid and we would tear the fish up with them. Digging for worms would be something my son would get a kick out of.

10. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    Oh man, kids LOVE it! I used to like that almost as much as the fishing when I was little.

Another place we used to dig them (me and my friends)was an old feedlot that was between our house and the river. We would stop there on our bikes, we kept an old shovel hidden in the hedge row. All the manure, and extra feed from the cattle would run downhill and collect in the ditch by the road. You could stop there and dig about 4 shovels, and have a whole coffee can of worms to fish the day away with!

AHHH the memories!

11. Gringoloco

Gringoloco Member

State:
    Ft. Belvoir, VA
    Name:
    Josh
    I have never dug for worms, I always pick them up at a bait shop. But when the girls get alittle older I might have to try it out.

12. trfoster

trfoster New Member

State:
    north carolina
    THAT is what I do most of the time.We have a gully that runs down to the river and is wooded all around and down in the gully every spring I rake up the fallen leaves and pile them in a big pile.Ive done this for years so now it is a natural worm bed that has nice size worms in it by the thousands.It keeps worms all summer,stays nice and moist and cool.

13. Sandy Meador

Sandy Meador New Member

State:
    VA
    I dig 'em all the time! I bought one of those "worm farms" from Wally-World and stock it w/medium sized crawlers I get out of my back yard. Keep it in the fridge and feed 'em good and they get big in no time! I go back and dig more when my supply starts to dwindle.

14. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    When I was growing up, my dad and I would rarely buy bait. On the way to the river we would always stop to dig worms on the edge of the irrigation ditches, we would also gather clams at low tide and of course catch minnows! Now days the farmers frown on you even stopping next to the fields and I rarely see clams at low tide. Also many of the areas I fished as a youth are closed to public now!

15. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    I love to pick crawlers at night after it rains with the flashlight got a big fertile field next to my house in one night I can get enough crawlers to lost me two weeks or more

16. stonemaster

stonemaster New Member

State:
    versailles, ky.
    in ky. we have a worm that we call greenworms. they smell very bad but are great bait. we find them on the river bank where there is leaves mixed in with the sand.what kind of worms are 10 inches long and as big as my finger? do you live near a nuclear power plant?

17. sairving

sairving New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Texas
    I haven't dug for worms in what seems like EONS!!! I remember having a lot of fun with my grandpa and uncles digging for worms and really getting dirty. Thanks for bringing those memories back to me. I'll have to find some places to take my daughter so we can go digging!!

18. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    LOL, no kidding, they are that big, and tough as nails when it comes to staying on the hook. Have you ever seen the worms they disect in Biology classes these days in schools? They are the same worm. I can hold one between my fingers, and stretch him out half way up my forearm.

19. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I dont dig worms anymore, when I was trying to keep worms they would die, or ants got in the cooler and kill them. So I buy my worms now.

20. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I did keep worms for quite a while, and the secret to both of these is to keep them in the frig. May not be an option if you are married.