Does Anyone Collect Old Money?

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by jholl949, May 23, 2006.

1. jholl949

jholl949 New Member

State:
    Mannford. Oklah
    I have some old bills, like Silver Certificates and United States Notes, and was wondering if anyone else has any?

2. redneckdrum

redneckdrum New Member

State:
    kansas
    My son likes them silver cirtificates,as for me, I got half of a shoebox full of wheat pennies(I think thats what you call them) and silver dimes/quarters.Someone told me that the dimes/quarters made before 1965 were silver.The only thing I know about them is there worth more than face value.I can't even recall where I got them from.

3. BamaCats

BamaCats New Member

State:
    Alabama
    hey redneckdrum what are teh dates on those wheat pennies? i have a whole colllection on half and whole dollars some of them are in Mint condition. Maybe we could work out some kind trade. i love wheat pennies from the 1900's.

4. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    I collect money from other coutrys have some old money from here too.

5. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    My monet don't get old enough to collect it. LOL!
    #3 son has a big collection of domestic and foriegn currency.

6. Doyle

Doyle New Member

State:
    Illinois
    All my money is old, I haven't made any new money in 5 years.:lol:

7. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    I have about a shoebox full of old russian bills. Some are pre-revolution, some are post revolution up to about 1989.

I just think it is neat stuff to look at, but never got into what it would be worth.

8. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    I have a couple of horseblanket bills, a couple of 5 dollar bills from the old Coshocton National Bank signed by the grandfather of a local banker (although he'll have to pay dearly to get them) and I had some biblical coins that i got off ebay, but I think the church still has them. Kind of neat to think that you are holding money that was used when Jesus Christ was walking around.

9. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI

Or perhaps a coin that Christ slapped out of somone's hand or flipped off somone's table. Heck... it could have been Judas's turncoat blood money.

Or maybe it belonged to "Brian". Always look on the bright side of life!

I'd be a little weary to own it... just to superstitiously avoid that sort of connection.

10. kittygitter

kittygitter New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    i don't collect old money but the other day at my high school the lunch lady when she gave me back my change it was a black quarter that had a hole in it i can't read the date so i figure i'll by a sundrop with it one day
    :amazed:

11. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    My father used to collect old money. Don't think he does it anymore but I know he has a collection. I remember him showing it to me when I was a kid. Lots of old Buffalo Nickles, Wheat Pennies, Silver Certificats, Red ones also, not sure of what all he has but I may see if I can find out since yall are interested in old money.

12. redneckdrum

redneckdrum New Member

State:
    kansas
    Thats preety cool,man.Imagine having a coin from that period,that would almost be the next best thing to visiting the Holy Land and walking where Jesus walked.

13. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i dont collect old money but i inherited two bags of coins and a few bills from european countries before and during WW2. a great uncle of mine found them in france (no doubt collected by another soldier) along a rail line at a train depot. the few bills i have are french but were printed by the nazi's and have the swasticas on them. a few years back i put them all in those plastic coin sleves that fit in a binder. never had them evaluated for value, no doubt never will (dont want to know! might sell 'em lol).

14. gargoil77

gargoil77 New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Indiana
    I used to collect them but lost interest because I couldn't afford buying the good stuff. My collection came from finds. Wheat pennies and some silver. i do have some from other countries. I bought a German Auchen when i was stationed over there. Equivalent to a dime I think. Dated 1700 something. Can't find any info on it anywhere. Went to East Germany before the wall came down so somewhere I have some East German $$.

15. squirtspop

squirtspop New Member

State:
    Glencoe, Arkansas
    I have lots of "pocket change" left from Med Cruise I was on while in the Navy. And lots of the old gray steel pennies. I think they are 1943's.

16. rodpod

rodpod New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
    I have alot of red seal 2 dollar bills, proof sets, and graded coins. Nothing too old though.

17. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Just about every woman I ever met collected old money ,new money,my money and money in general.:smile2: :roll_eyes: :lol: :big_smile: "Men weren't created to have any money" is inscribed on the inside of every females eyelids.Stands to reason actually, money wasn't necessary in the Garden Of Eden during the brief period that men were in control.:lol: :lol: :big_smile: :smile2: