Does anybody here use an airbrush?

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by buddah, Nov 1, 2006.

1. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    I recently enherited a few pasche "F" Type airbrushes. I got a compresser and all the do-dads and learning how to use it. I'm having fun but am curious about the different types of them. For example, mine is a single acation, siphon fed but I am gonna need something that is capeable of producing finer lines, would a double action be what I need?

2. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    smaller tip is what you need, either that, or move your hand closer to the piece you are air brushing.

If I remember right, the double action simply allows you to use more air

3. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    For real professional advice on airbrushes I would contact Playboy Magazine.They use them a lot.:cool2: :wink: :big_smile: :lol: :eek:oooh: :smile2:Not that I have ever looked at how or where they use them myself of course but this information has been provided to me by reliable sources.:lol:

4. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    Not trying to be phoecetious but....I noticed that too!! LOL Actually one can use airbrushes for many many applications like artificial tanning and cake decorating and my favorite Temporary tattoos. I, however, am using them to paint my hand crafted lures that I'm making this winter for friends and family mambers and maybe for a contest on the BOC, who knows.
    If anyone has any USEFUL information or knows of a good informational website I would really appreciate it. Thank you,
    Buddah

5. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
  6. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Jay, wow!!! Handcrafted lures,thats pretty neat.Post some pictures soon so we can see your work.I would be in the market for a wall mount lure like a Spook or other famous lure.I have a cabin behind my house that I like to decorate with fishing and hunting pictures,old lures etc etc.A hand crafted lure would be a one of a kind item.I would be looking at oversize maybe 4x1.

7. Ol Whiskers

Ol Whiskers New Member

State:
    Fairfield Township, Ohio
    buddah,

Find a copy of an excellent how-to titled Airbrushing by Carl Caiati. 165 pages of useful info, including diagrams of several manufacturer's airbrushes, detailed discussion on applications, maintenance, troubleshooting. He also has one titled Advanced Airbrushing Techniques Made Simple. I don't know if they're still in business, but both came from:

TAB Books
    P.O. Box 40
    Blue Ridge SUmmit, PA 17214​

Badger Airbrushes also put out a short intro titled Hobby & Craft Guide To Air-Brushing. You can get it at a model shop or hobby supply store for abour $5.00.

You might be able to find these on-line as well.

Dennis

8. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    I just ordered it! Thanks. I used them in school and wasn't too bad either. I have always been a little more than creative so I thought why not put fishing and my artistic abilities together! Sounds like a winner to me! LOL

9. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    Shure! I could do that for ya! I have to get a few supplies first and take some measurements and put them to scale but I'll be in touch, ok?

10. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
  11. fish

fish Active Member

State:
    ChattanoogaTenn
    Jay, keep us post about your airbrushing and lure making, this is really interesting buddy. We would love to see some pictures when you get everything going.

12. micus

micus New Member

State:
    Lake St. L
    Double action means you can adjust both the air pressure and paint volume with the same lever. Generally the farther you press down the more air you get. Pulling the lever back increases paint volume. Pretty much mandatory for any free hand or pro use. I still occasionaly use a Paache VL 1 I got in the 60's.:lol: