Does anybody have gout

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by keith, Jul 23, 2006.

1. keith

keith New Member

State:
    ohio
    I have had gout for the last two months, Its my first time ever getting it, man it hurts, does anybody have any home remedies.

2. jailcop2

jailcop2 New Member

State:
    iowa
    No home remedies , but when I had it I was given anti inflamitories[motrin ] and a steroid shot , might go to the store and some over the counter stuff .
    Good Luck
    Brian

3. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    My husband was given this remedy from our next door neighbor,his big toe hurt so bad he couldn't walk or wear shoes. She promptlt went down into her basement and gave me a jar of Cherries,and told me to tell him to eat the cherries.Yes they will be a little sour but it worked.Soon he was able to wear his shoes again. Hope this helps you also! You are in my prayers.----pk:smile2:

4. da-cajun-angla

da-cajun-angla New Member

State:
    louisiana
    my dads got gout...its black cherries that work the best...it breaks down the uric acid in ur blood...and no pork, or shellfish, even beef they say. anti-inflammatory's and some other stuff he takes from the doc..ill find out and let u know
    shaun

5. hear_kitty

hear_kitty New Member

State:
    Vassar Mi
    Dont now no home remedies but feel for ya brother had it six months ago

6. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    If you eat MUSHROOMS, stop immediately. The uric acid from them NEVER leaves your body. Also, stay away from beans and beer. Research it on the web and I'm sure you will find lots of information.

Hope these few tips help you. Take care.

7. Ahquabi_Master

Ahquabi_Master New Member

State:
    WDM Iowa
    Sorry to hear that brother. You'll be in my prayers. Hope you get feel better.

8. BamaCats Lady

BamaCats Lady New Member

State:
    Luverne, Alabama
    My heart goes out to you! I can only suggest drinling lots of water to help flush out your system & maybe an over the counter anti inflamitory lime motrin, buy ask the pharmacist first, it may be contraindicated or there may be something better. You can ask your doctor, some of the older generation antinflamitories work just as good, if not better than the newer generation stuff. (Been a medic for :eek:oooh: OMG 20+ years now!) I'll look into some herbals for you when I get a chance.

9. gone_fishin

gone_fishin New Member

State:
    Logansport, Indiana
    This might be a stupid question but what is gout?

10. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    Luckily I don't have gout but I have torn tendons in both my heals that are driving me nuts. After working 16 hours on Blacktop, concrete, and hardwood yesterday, I can bearly walk today. One of the guys I was working with has gout and I'm sure he was hurting today, too. I feel for you buddy.

11. treasure

treasure New Member

State:
    WA
    Oh man, Gout or Beer...tough call....

Although I never had it, My grandfather had it when I was real young..HE had it where his feet would break open and they would pack the holes with gauze and Iodine. I almost tossed my cookies when I watched betty his wife grab the gauze with tweezers and pull out a foot long rope like thing of gauze...He almost lost his foot over..

On reflection not really that tough of a call after all..

I am sure that there are a lot better treatments today then there was back then also...Hope you get it under control fast and speedy recovery..

12. gargoil77

gargoil77 New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Indiana

Gout. The disease of kings. My toe is flared up still from three weeks ago when I was off work with it. It ain't no fun.
    Gout is too much uric acid in your blood. It builds up and causes crystals that form in your joints and usually will start in your big toe. I know mine did. I went to the emergency room back in October at 4am because i woke up in extreme pain. My big toe was swollen, red and hot. I have never endured that much pain before in my life. I couldn't even lay a sheet on my foot.
    certain foods have what is called purines in them. That's were the uric acid comes from. Mushrooms, alcohol (mainly beer), red meat, spinach, beans,fried foods, shellfish, fish, etc are foods you shouldn't eat or eat at a low moderation. You can have no more than two beers a week. About the only things you can eat are fruits and most vegetables. Fish I think was once a week as well as pork.
    I Googled gout and there was a lot of info. It tells ya what to eat and what not to eat. Cherries are a food that you should eat when you get a flare up. It does help. Me anyway. I went to the doctor and he prescribed 'colchicine'. It works but you have to take it everyday. Alpurinal is another gout medication. Haven't taken that one. I have had to call into work twice or maybe three times since last October. You can't do anything but lay in bed with your foot propped up, take an anti-inflammatory drug and heavy duty narcotics for the pain. I don't wish that pain upon anyone except my exwife. She is one that deserves it.
    Anyway. Google gout and read, read and read somemore. Get on a diet and don't drink alcohol. Here i am telling ya what to do and I can't even do it.

13. minnies_moocher

minnies_moocher New Member

State:
    Coldspring, Texas
    I will keep you in my prayers. I know what it is to have gout. I almost thought I broke my foot, but come to find out the doctor told me it was gout and to cute back on my pork intake. Wish you luck.

14. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    I get gout every now and then and I know how you feel its painful. The Doctor gave me a prescription for Indomethacin. This is a pretty powerful pill and it works pretty quick. I keep some at home and in the glove box of the truck and anytime I feel like its coming on I'll start on the pills. It will amaze you how fast it works you can be in so much pain you cant put on your shoes or walk and when the pills kick in its like nothing was ever wrong. I would strongly recommend anyone with this problem to keep some of these pills around at all times. Either that or stop drinking beer and eating rich foods and I'm not about to do anything that drastic:big_smile:

15. willplumb4fish

willplumb4fish New Member

State:
    MISSISSIPPI
    i feel for you bro ...my dads had it off and on for a couple years and he is on certain medicines to help prevent it...but he can eat certain things and watches his diet ...i think alot of red meat is one of them and acidic vegetables....ill ask him to enlighten me and ill post you some info....hope it gets better man its some painfull stuff

16. willplumb4fish

willplumb4fish New Member

State:
    MISSISSIPPI
    hey bro just got off the phone with my dad and he said that alcohol and wieght gain is the worse....especially alcohol....eatting liver, hearts similar meats....gravy...but since he first got it he says when he drinks too many beers it inflames it he is on indomethicine for it but eating alot of cherries is good home remedies...sorry i said something about acidic veggiess but i was wrong just stay away from too much alcohol and gaining weight and it helps......hope this helps you bro and ill keep you in my prayers

17. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    i was always told to carry a buckeye in each pocket ,dont ask but it helps and brings luck too