Does anybody have a tiger fishing rod? Is it good for channel catfishing?

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by SilverCross, Feb 16, 2006.

1. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    Does anybody have a Tiger rod, 8', 2pc., med/light, 12 to 30lb line, 1-4oz baitcasting rod? Sounds like a really good Channel rod to me, with a new Abu 6500c4reel. Surely somebody else thinks so, gulp, I hope so anyway....lol

2. dip

dip New Member

State:
    stinkin ohio
    i never heered of an 8' 2 pc tiger pole. sure you ain't talking of an 8' 2 pc ugly stick catfish pole? if so i have 3 of the 7 foot 1 pc for channels and they work fine. i personally don'y like 2 pc.

3. FlatGetter

FlatGetter New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I have a 7ft med/Hvy one piece Tiger I use it for flatties they are about as good of a rod as you can get for flatheads.

For channels a 8ft 2piece uglycat is what you want. Uglycats can handle any kind of channels you would run into. I know someone that caught a 40 (flathead) on a 7ft 1 piece MH/uglycat.

4. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    Cabela's have the one in question, it is BWD2200-2. It's listed under their saltwater rods.

5. dip

dip New Member

State:
    stinkin ohio
    i see what that's a "downrigger" pole whatever that means.

6. Willy

Willy New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Down rigger poles most of the time have a more limber tip and a longer arc on the rod action,I have a 8ft6 in salmon action ugly stick that I use to drift blood bait with and it has alot of flex in the upper portion of the rod. It is a blast to catch fish with though.

7. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    Thanks guys for your input. I think I'll save up and get me one of these, just sounds like it would be a fun rod for catching Channels.

8. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    Cathunter,

I wondered why you were looking at the 8 footer in particular. Do you want the extra foot for casting distance or the two piece factor for easy transportation. I have six tiger rods right now, 4 of them are the 7 foot med action casting, 1 7'9" light action casting and two 7 foot med action 2 piece rods. I specially bought the 2 piece rods to fit in my trunk while traveling but in most cases I prefer the one piece rods. If your looking for a longer rod for more distance the amount of flex in that downrigger rod might not be the best idea. You may also want to look at the new tiger rod lite's. They are brand new this year and might be the ticket for the light action catfishing.

9. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    the ugly stick catfish is awsume, matches 6000 size reels perfectly and cost about $20 less. Id say their probally just as good pluss theyre a bright white for a lighter weight rod id recommend one.:0a30: :006: :0a26:

10. HARVRAD2003

HARVRAD2003 New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    I have 3 7' one piece TIGERS myself // my ambassadeur 7000c3, penn 320 gt2 and quantum iron are all on one as well as two of my big spinning reels. Never used a 2 piece setup, don't know why just never bought one so I can't help you there, just know that for what I've done they've been great // however I haven't pulled in on of those massive cats yet either.

11. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    It sounds like a good set up with the right class line. I believe those larger rods are meant for greater casting distance from the bank. Thats normally what the longer rods are for anyways. The shorter rods are better for larger cats because it gives you more power. Tiger series are good rods nevertheless so you should be fine.

12. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    Thanks all for your input, gives me a lot more to think about. The only reason I was wondering about them is the bed on my truck is 6 feet long so I either have to work with 6 foot, one piece or go with two piece ones. I would prefer to have a longer truck bed, but that isn't going to happen in this lifetime. I've never had a two piece break on me, but then I only use 20lb line, although I have a 7000c3 with Mason 27lb now also, but I don't think I will have any prob. I just will make sure the rod is rated for this line, probably one that is rated for up to 50lb.

13. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    Thanks for all the input, appreciate it very much.