Does anybody customize their 10/22?

Discussion in 'Guns - Blackpowder' started by derbycitycatman, Jul 24, 2007.

1. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Ive never been real happy with the accuracy of my Ruger 10/22. I dont know if its because its a semi auto or I keep getting bad ammo. Ive been thinking about replacing the barrel and see if that makes a difference. Ive been looking at some stainless bull barrels around $100-150 and was wondering if anyone has done this to theirs.

2. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i have a ruger 10/22, that has a stainless barrel from Midway on it...it is a shootin son of a gun! it likes the subsonics..rollo

3. field989

field989 New Member

State:
    east central indiana
    well we got a 10/22 with a buttler creek stock and a carbon fiber barrel... that thing is funn to shoot... u can go through a 25 round clip pretty dang quick!.... but it also has a differetn trigger group.. that its self is worth MORE THEN THE GUN!

never really went for accuracy.... cuz i figure if u can put 25 rounds of lead @ a squirrel than u got a pretty good chance of hittin it :smile2::smile2::wink::smile2:

but seriously... i dont take it hunting... its just for fun and messin round

4. badkarma

badkarma New Member

State:
    Oxford,Miss
    I think I did every thing to my 10/22 that can be done.I had a lot of money tied up in it and man it was fun to shoot cause I could dump a 50 round mag faster than you could blink then one day a badguy kicked in my back door and stole all my guns and I never got any of them back.

5. randallewis

randallewis New Member

State:
    Louisiana --Shreveport
    The bull barrel will help. You can install it yourself. Try CCI ammo.

6. derbycitycatman

State:
    Kentucky
    Do you guys think I can turn this into a squirrel gun(one shot, head shot) or am I better off just getting a bolt action? The barrell is gonna cost as much or more than the gun. :smile2:

7. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    Brian I think rimfires are more picky regards ammo than centerfire guns. I'd try several brands for I gave up. My 22's don't jam, but have to have different brands for each one to get the accuracy I want. I've got one rifle that only shoots the hyper-velocity stuff well. Then also there's the one "flyer" ya get from an auto. Bench shoot it with different brands before ya give up. Ruger makes a fine gun, right from the factory. Also any auto needs 3 to 5 hundred rounds thru it before it "breaks in". And 22's need cleaning regardless of what you've heard. In fact they shoot "dirty", compared to centerfire. My 2 cents.

8. randallewis

randallewis New Member

State:
    Louisiana --Shreveport
    Boots is 100% correct on everything. You need to keep em clean. When you try different ammo I suggest you give it a good brushing w/ a brass brush between bench firing. I was thinking like you so I went to a bolt action Ruger 77/22. It is a little more accurate but I ended up w/ less squirrels. I don't shoot it much anymore even though it cost twice as much money. When you try new ammo, I suggest you shoot 5 to 6 rounds from a shooting vice if you have access to one. Clean the barrel take a break then start over. I tried a bunch of different brands of ammo but I ended up w/ CCI in the Ruger that I shoot.

9. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Brian,Like Boots said different rifles shoot differently,I have an old model 25 glenfield by marlin that is a tackdriver with most any ammo ,but I am the only onr who can hit that way with it. I would advise you to also spend a vast amount of time at your favorite range and PLINK AWAY.then see how it shoots after you and it become friends.

10. derbycitycatman

State:
    Kentucky
    Not putting enough rounds into is definetely not the case, maybe too many?
    Id say I put a 1000 rounds easy thru it the first year I had it. Its probably about 12 years old and I keep it clean, I clean it before I put her up. Im gonna give her one last try though with a bunch of ammo. I bought a shooting rest last year, not the best but it works for me. Im gonna try the shoot some rounds, 10 or so, then clean and try another brand of ammo. If I dont get what Im wanting out of it, I might try a fancy barrell or it will just have to be the plinker. It may be I just dont like the occassional flyer thatI dont get as often from my centerfire rifles.

11. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    Sounds like she's broke in LOL, Try some ,Remington Eley Target Rifle, in her. It's expensive match ammo & if she won' shoot that right...may be barrel time. I've had great luck with CCI Mini Mag too. The bulk or "brick" ammo usually not up to much but plinking. The flyer will always be the first round out the mag, so sight in accordingly. Keep the faith. Also something to consider, is eyesight. I've had guns I was working with that turned out not to be the gun, but ol fart eyes. Sneaks up on ya without ya being aware...
    :big_smile:

12. derbycitycatman

State:
    Kentucky
    Thanks again everybody. I think Ive had ol fart eyes for years.:smile2: After thinking about it Ive tried brick Remington, CCI's and some Winchester. Ill try some premium stuff soon and see how that goes.

13. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    First.Looking for accuracy is the 2 nd.most responsible thing that a hunter can do.First is SAFETY!My son has never been able to hit anything for 20+ years with his Ruger 10-22,though his son shoots it well and my ex-son in law could hit anything with my sons rifle from day one.My son just keeps his Older Marlin 22 auto repaired and has always done fine with this rifle.The repairs on the Marlin have all been due to wear.I am not comfortable with and have never shot a Remington shotgun well.They have just never felt or pointed "right" even when my friends were going to prove it was me and tried me while blindfolded with different guns.I have a old Remington pump.22 that is a tack driver.You just may not "fit the gun"as they say,though many may shoot well with the same rifle and you shoot well with others.I have seen this in others beside my son and I a few times in my life.Guns are like the Rod & Reels in our life.Some things just feel natural and/or do better for us than others.Not too long after they came out I bought a Ruger SS Target 10-22 which was a "Tack Driver" (for me) and cost less than half of what some had invested in their custom Ruger 10-22's.It shot just as well or even a lot better than some.A few could not hit anything with my rifle,but could shoot their Remington,Marlin,Kimber,target or off the shelf 22's well.I don;t know why,I do know it happens.It is just like the ammo.Some,mostly bolt actions shoot any ammo well.Some will not shoot anything well.Most shoot certain loads best,and will change if the manufacture does something different.The simi-autos seem to be more picky and some will not cycle correctly with "Target"or any low powered sub-sonic ammo.We use to swap and try when we had a mix of different guns and ammo.Sometimes just flushing out the action with WD-40 or cleaning the barrel would make it work or "quit"working.Cleaning the action seemed to help some work,while cleaning the barrel sometimes increased the failure rate or turned it into a single shot.We figured that cleaning the barrel lowered the back pressure and affected the "Blow-back" action.As for eyes.When I got my "Bionic Eyes" or artificial lenses after cataract surgery I went back to my open sights while in my 50's.Hallelujah!Lets face it guys.If you are not in Shotgun range,you are not in decent Head Shot range for a Squirrel with a .22 long rifle.We long ago proved this to ourselves by shooting Target rifles standing,setting and kneeling at ground level and elevated (Gum tree balls,Pine Cones,etc.)targets at the different angles found while Squirrel hunting.I am not saying this for the ones that have a mind like a steel trap (closed) and are going to blaze away at anything they see with as many shots as they can.They lie to themselves best of all and that is the reason they leave so much more wounded game to die for everything that they kill.You can brag all you want about your "Skill".If you cannot repeat that shot you brag about 3 out of 5 times under the same conditions,where is your minimum Skill or Judgment?I will tell you.In your own mind!When you can do it a minimum of 4 out of 5,you have something,but it still needs improvement.The ones that can or have been able to "shoot" will be and are laughing at you and your skills with these once in a lifetime shot crap.And it is crap for your game animal unless you can produce.Being a great shot on the range means nothing in the woods unless you can judge the wind and the range.The best shots in the world are always striving for improvement.I am proud that most on the BOC are the decent and responsible type that strive for REPEATED accuracy before hunting.It is not a responsibility or even necessary for plinking or informal target shooting.It sure is nice if you got it!A lot of the aftermarket .22 accurizring stuff has gone down in price.Another thing that I found out was that some of the single shot,bolt actions and pump .22's were just about if not more accurate when hunting for all practical purposes as was my target 10-22.The reason was that I shot in all types of positions that were far from range perfect and with a far lighter gun.I also shot them more often which helps.I really saw no difference in my Target 10-22 and my really good shooting guns that I had collected over the years when it came to hunting.Now my bad shooters were always plinking guns only and I always traded or sold them unless I kept them for some special reason.Many try out and zero a rim fire on a 100 yd.center fire range and are disappointed in a good gun when they go hunting.This method only leaves you shooting about 3 inches off at 50 yards.Now these methods are for the conditions that I hunted in The South Eastern US.Mostly in the coastal plain and much of that in the swamps.We did not do 1000 yard "bean field" Squirrel hunting.We leave it for the "experts" that we hear from.Please let us know what you decide and how you come out.I sure do miss my guns.I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

14. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    A little hint some rifles dont like certain bullet makers try a different kind mine likes reminton match grade!! But throws winchester all over the place!! Same barrel just different ammo!! Hope this helps!!:big_smile:

15. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    I have what I call my "sleeper" 10/22. It has several mods and is a tackdriver. First of all, I took the trigger group off, and sent it off for a trigger job. For about 50 bucks, you can get your trigger pull from a 6lb. average to a 2lb average. This alone will tune a factory gun up alot. Second of all, I took a factory stainless barrel, shortend the chamber, and machine a 11 degree target crown in the muzzle of the barrel. Then I ran a end mill over the face of the bolt cutting the rim depth down to .042 inches. Therefore eleminating freebore in the chamber. All internal parts, (trigger group, bolt, and reciever) have been polished to eleminate friction. I shoot SK Subsonic or SK Standard Velocity ammo. For a carbine rifle, it will perform awesome. I can put 10 rounds in a 1/2" group at 50yds, which is plenty enough for a clean headshot on a squirrel or rabbit. I also have a Bushnell Banner 4x-12x scope.

16. derbycitycatman

State:
    Kentucky
    I finally took it out for some plinking, tried Remington brick, Winchester brick, CCI, and a Remington match grade. The Remington brick was horrible, you could even hear the difference between some rounds from a sharp crack to a duller sound. Shots were all over. CCI's were better but still had the 1-2 flyers out of 10. Same with the Rem. match grade and winchester brick. I think ill stick with the winchester brick sense it seemed to shoot as well as the higher priced stuff. Its still not really where I want it but its better. Though it could just be me Ill think Ill start looking for a bolt action instead of dumping money in the 10/22.

17. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
  18. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Check out the winchester website fellas, they had a re-call on a bunch of their ammo it came out I think about a month ago!!THIS IS What they sent:
    Olin Corporation, through its Winchester Division, is recalling several lots of:
    • WILDCAT® 22 (Symbol Number WW22LR)
    • XPERT® 22 (Symbol Number XPERT22) 22 Long Rifle rimfire ammunition
    For information on this recall, CLICK HERE for details and to determine if your WILDCAT® 22 (Symbol Number WW22LR) or XPERT® 22 (Symbol Number XPERT22) 22 Long Rifle rimfire ammunition is subject to this notice.
    • SUPER-X® HIGH VELOCITY (Symbol X22LR)
    • POWER-POINT® (Symbol X22LRPP)
    For information on this recall, CLICK HERE for details and to determine if your SUPER-X® HIGH VELOCITY (Symbol X22LR) or POWER-POINT® (Symbol X22LRPP) ammunition is subject to this notice.

If you have any questions concerning this recall please call toll-free 866-423-5224 (U.S. & Canada) or visit our website at www.winchester.com.

19. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    From what you said,you just may have a problem with ignition either in your ammo or your guns ability to produce consistent ignition.Have you looked at the firing pin indentation on your brass and compared the good shots and the bad ones?If it don;t sound right,it ain;t right.I don;t know if this is your problem,but it well could be.It could be a defect back from the gun being built such as a burr,weakness or rough part.There is nothing harder to find than a "sometimey"as I call it.Luck.I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

20. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    Almost any .22 will shoot better with sub-sonic ammo. Match shooters always use it. The bullets de-stabilize at higher speeds.