Does any one else think the state needs to update the river fishing rules?

Discussion in 'MINNESOTA RIVERS TALK' started by Goldenshinner, Sep 20, 2006.

1. Goldenshinner

Goldenshinner New Member

I believe we need to see an update to Minnesota fishing rules to include two rods on the major rivers durring open water season. why not?? this is one of the most underutilized water ways in the state. tons of people would flock to fish the river if allowed the extra action of two rods.

just my 2 cents. any comments:cool2:

2. gcarlin

gcarlin New Member

State:
    Richmond ,Indiana
    Here In Indiana ,we Have The Right To Use 2 Fishing Poles, But I Have Seen Alot Of People Using Alot More. Guess It Just Depends On Where We All Fish.

3. Dave L

Dave L New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Goldenshinner,
    You need to read your 2006 Minnesota Fishing Regulations. Pg. 52 Border waters Wisconsin-Minnesota Regulations.
    I have always fished 2 lines on the St. Croix., It is legal.
    The only area that is gray for me is the use of jugs. Would that be in the same class as a tip-up?

I just got back from Kentucky and I guess you can use as many lines as you like down there.

4. nuthinlikeacat

nuthinlikeacat New Member

State:
    Eden Prairie, Minnesota
    IMHO, I honestly wouldnt want people flocking to the rivers....the Quality of fishing would take a dive for the worse in a few years.

As for the rules... They are in the process of debating wehter or not to change them.

5. Goldenshinner

Goldenshinner New Member

and actualy on the croix, wis anglers are allowed 3 lines a person and 8 cats kept. jugs are not allowed and personaly think that is good, as people would abuse that. as too ruining the quality of fishing. I think that is a balancing act. If more people fish the river, the regulations would have to reflect the greater demand. In many streaches of the river it gets nearly fished out every summer anyways.:roll_eyes:

The river is our greatest underutilized assest. we treat it like garbage yet it has the highest carring capacity for fish.Nearly everything in the state dumps into it. lakes, creeks, ponds , ditches all of it just dumping tons of organic matter, and more importantly fish. I cant even begin to imagine the true amount of lake fish that dump in over creeks and rivers.

on a side note one summer as a kid I remember a small river that overflowed dumping some excess water into a low lying feild. It had uncountable sunfish, carp, bass and pike. all in just hours of flowing. this was a tributary that would dump into the mississippi river. And thats just one small river amoung countless others.incidently this river freezes out dead in the winter, so all these fish either make it to the main river or are replenished from feeder lakes above, every spring!

Catch and Release.The future of minnesota fishing.