Does Any One Else Suffer From This Burn Out?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by H2O Mellon, May 30, 2006.

1. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Do any of you get to the point where your fishing is more like work than anything else? Right now I feel like fishing is someting that I HAVE TO DO, not something that I WANT TO DO. I got like this a couple years ago & took some time off & the feeling came back to me later. I am sitting back thinking & I can't remember when I actually had a good time or a fun time fishing. It was prob late fall of '05 or catching bait this winter. If you guys do get like this, what do you do? Right now I feel like selling all my gear w/ the exception of two rods (my Gator rod of corse & my hevay action St Croix Classic Cat) and starting back up next spring. I guess I am extremely burnt out for some reason. :roll_eyes:

What to do when fishing stops being fun? -sort of sounds like a book. :big_smile:

2. Tulcat

Tulcat New Member

I have heard P@yl@ke fishing will cause this..........

:waaaht:

3. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    You are burnt out for only one reason, no fish..Fish will turn it all around.

4. tatersalad

tatersalad New Member

State:
    Clover, SC
    Mellon, just take a break. Don't sell your stuff, unless you like kicking your self in the pants! This happens with a lot of activities, but some time away will probably get you back to enjoying it. You might also want to try a different kind of fishing, or introducing someone to fishing who hasn't had the opportunity. Anything can get old if done too much, or too often.

Let me know if you just want to BS or something. One thing you can never have enough of is friends.

ts

5. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Mellon, I would not sell your stuff. Give it away. Here is the address to ship to.

Matt Hardbarger
    70 Powell St.
    Ashville, OH 43103

Hope this helps.....LMAO

6. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Saying it & doing it are two different things, right? :tounge_out:

I am seriously burnt out though. I think maybe I will fish the rest of this month (all FOUR days that I am able to get out:roll_eyes: ) then take the month of July off, it will be spawn time anyways.

Yes that's right I have FOUR days open to fish this month. Thats another thing, having no time means I have to go when the days are open, so that means in any condition. The heat wears me out, so it puts me in a bad mood, if it's storming I cant go, so I'm in a bad mood then too. I cant win.

Thanks for the idea of fishing for something else. I may just throw on my waders, or better yet grab a pair of shorts & go after some smallmouth.

7. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Bryan,
    I guess you would have to start by identifying what it is about fishing that has you bummed. List all the things that you like about fishing and all the things you don't. Then it's a simple matter of eliminating the bad and increasing the good. It may be that you need to switch species for a while rather than stop completely. Go drown worms and catch Bluegills if that's what it will take. Try some new things, maybe take a kid fishing.
    Don't sell your gear, it will only cost you more $$$ to replace and if the good feeling returns the first thing you will have to do is go buy stuff. That will be something to resent right there and that in turn will get you off on the wrong foot.
    Why do you feel you have to fish? Unless you fish for food and the family is starving there is no life or death reason to be out there so if you feel like a break go ahead.
    I'm sure there will be no shortage of advice on this one. Hang in there...W

8. rodpod

rodpod New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
    This has happened to me before. Then i showed up to one of my fishing spots on a nice day with none of my fishing gear. Just hang out for a little bit and you will wish you had a few lines out.

9. rebcatman

rebcatman New Member

State:
    Manassas, Virginia
    I can't say I have ever been burned out from fishing. I do not get to do it as much as I used to, and so I always look forward to doing it.

10. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    How about I brake all of Flathunter's rods. That would make me happy! In fact I am smiling about it right now.

Big Cat 1.... Snap
    Big Cat 2.... Snap
    etc.....

then

Ugly Stick Tiger Rod.....:) crack, crack, crack.... SNAP!!!!

11. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I feel a lot better now. My friend came through. Jack called me at work & got my spirits up. He started put by saying that when we 1st started fishign together it was he that taught me the tools of the trade, but he said over the last couple of years, he has secretly been taking notes on my style of fishing. He said that he relaly enjoys the way I throw the live bait in a tree brach then slowly let the line down to the water. At first he thought this was done by accident, but now he realizes I do this, in order not to casue a large comotion by lobbing a live bait & 5 or 6 ox oounces of weight into the river. He also has picked up on the idea of shining you light onto the water. He now knows that it casues the baitfish to come to the light, which in return invokes the predator instinc of Flatheads to come & attack the bait fish. Jack also admitted to me being leaps & bounds beyond him. It really did make me feel good, that FINALLY someone had something NICE to say to me.

Thanks again buddy.

12. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Sorry guys, but Mellon has his up's and downs monthly..He suffers from PMS, This is what I have to deal with everytime we go fishing, doctor jekel, and sister Hyde.

13. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I've had several times where I get burned out on fishing. Mainly because when I am not burned out on it I am out 5 times a week.

Just take a break until you feel like going again.
    Switching species might help too, but if you are like me you have cat poles out and are fishing for others at the same time.
    Another thing you can do is take a book and chair with you. It doesn't work when they are biting, but you are still in the great outdoors.

14. AllenM

AllenM Guest

I have this overwhelming urge to send a large empty box to this address with "Mellon" written where the return address should be.... :wink:

But seriously, Melon... YOU HAVE TO FISH! GET OUT THERE AND DO IT! DO IT NOW!! NOW I SAY!!!

...or not, your choice. :big_smile:

Ok, in all TRUE seriousness now... I've been there myself Mellon. DON'T get rid of your gear, cause I promise, you would regret it at some point. The guys are dead on target about fishing for another species. Last year I started out bass fishing, which was what I knew. Kept catching tiny spotted bass and panfish instead of the decent bass I was used to catching in KY. Then I had a dry spell for just about all day fishing from the bank, and I didn't have a boat then. Decided to give catfishing a shot, but I'd always hated sitting there for what seemed like ages waiting for a bite. Did ok cause I found a honey hole at the lake and started catching some 1 and 2 pounders for a couple weeks without TOO much waiting for bites. Then THAT dried up and I went for about a month in which I wasn't catching cats for nuthin! Got fed up, bought a little spinning trout rod and started fishing 6 pound test line for those blue gills and crappie and tiny bass again, and suddenly I was catching decent fish and it felt like twice the size due to the light gear. Discovered another honey hole for small cats and started reeling them in hand over fist, and then learned a little about catfishing and started catching 5-7 pounders with some regularity. Renewed my whole outlook on fishing!

Point is, try something different, and if you feel like you're going out on a hot day because it's the only day you have free to go, think about it, and if there's something you'd rather do than fish, go do it! If not, try something different like I did. Go out witrh the outlook of "I'm just gonna enjoy some fresh air", and consider it a picnic rather than a fishing trip. You said you had fun bait fishing last winter, so go get an ultralight rod and hang some worms over the weedbeds on a bobber, and relax.

Things will turn around for you as soon as you stop trying to make them. As they say... "Life is what happens while you are making other plans!"

15. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Bryan, we all been there where we get into a fishing slump, and when its time to really catch some fish, I go Trout Fishing, those guys I have figured out ( most of the time anyways) so when its time for a "Slumpbuster" trip, I go trout fishing and it makes me feel cocky and confidant again until the next time I go flattie fishing, then I slowly sink in a twisting motion like a turd down the terlet back into my slump again but the slump buster trips are needed everyso often just to keep me going, Last Sat I went to my Bodacious Bluegill pond where they are easy and average around 9"!! , Tomorrow night Im gonna beat up on some Longnose Gar with the flyrod and then Ill have my confidence back to go again and get humbled by Mr Flattie. :crazy:

It certainly does not help when we ( Me, you, Dink, Jack and Mike) seem to be the only ones who cant catch flatties now out of the GMR while everyone else is getting lots of nice fish ( Bigones, Spencer, Pendog etc) and worse yet when you can only fish when you have limited times out and those times seem to never be the "Good" nights.( Storms, highwater, really hot out)

Hang tough buddy, been there, done that.....all good slumps come to those who are dedicated and its just yours and Jacks turn, unfortunately both at the same time!

Perhaps instead of competing against each other, you two should team up against the fish......since it seems the fish have you both put into your place when you "compete" which is your problem, fishing is fun and not a competition. When you make it a job, youll be hating every minute of it, just ask most Bass fishermen who are struggling to make it on the BASS Tour. I cant imagine loosing a fish over a poor know and it costing me a months wages in winnnings, I dont think I could do that every day,

Salmonid

16. solomon

solomon New Member

State:
    MS
    I have a proven solution to being burnt out on fishing. It's very simple and very effective.

Take your kids and as many of their friends as you can haul. Load them all up and go to Chuck E Cheese. Don't drink any beer. Stay for 4-5 hours. If you don't have any kids you can go alone, but it takes extreme discipline to stay for the suggested amount of time. After your time is up, you may leave, but it's highly suggested to require the parents of the kids to pick them up at Chuck E's as most people will go for the boat and leave the kids locked in the car at the boat ramp without bothering to take them home.

17. Spongiform

Spongiform New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Could try planning some trips that include other things besides catfishing.

Maybe a 2 day camping trip with a friend or significant other. Catfish at night - hang out with the friend/other during the day - read a book, explore some new stretch of wilderness.

Sounds like you might need a break though - might try picking up a new hobby for a few weeks. Metal Detecting is fun :D

18. Chief

Chief New Member

State:
    Indiana
    atleast you can fish enough to get burnt out. try switching to a new species like Ba$$

19. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    bryan your not alone! i started feeling that way last summer about flathead fishing, and the bad start to this year is making it even worse. last year i was catching some nice flatties but it just wasnt as fun anymore. last year i started fishing for channels regularly again and was having a blast, i know of a few times i would even scrap a flattie trip midway through it and start chasing channels. over the past 15 years that i have been river fishing i have caught my share of big fish but you are so right when you say it seems more like work anymore.....gathering and keeping bait alive, treking through god knows what and god knows how far to a good spot, long waits in between bites, etc. when you catch a biggun all of those thoughts get erased but its times like these that are putting things into perspective for me. last night a freind and i went on a late (12am-6am) channel r+r/juggin trip and had a blast catching those little boogers, it reminded me how boring the last few flattie trips were and how boring the trips were last year even when i caught 30+lb fish. wanna join me on a channel trip?:big_smile:

20. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    go fishing for bluegill,a lot of places I go to the bluegill action is non stop.their not all big,but its a blast to catch them and eat them.if you don't eat them their great bait.i went yesterday and caught a little over 2 dozen in an hour.or go and throw your cast net(if you still have one) and stock up on shad for when you do feel like going.i went down to the ohio this morning and brought home abt 41 dozen shad,stock up for hard times!anytime i go fishing for bait,i can't wait to go catfishing!!!