Does America Make Anything Anymore?

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by misterwhiskers, Feb 6, 2006.

1. misterwhiskers

misterwhiskers New Member

State:
    Trenton
    I recently got a braid nailer/staple gun,Tradesman,magnesium series,model 8530.Taiwanese piece of crap.
    Its actually a nice lil air tool for the cost,think it was about 100 bux.Got it back in sept/october,and used it 3 times.1st time i used it for nailed down oak floor,just the last row by the wall.Used it again to make a cabinet fer the garage.And was trying to use it today to put up some moulding and the push pin kept hanging up.
    Called customer service and the housing fer the piston is ALL plastic,The cylinder ring(which is also plastic)has a lil lip on it that sits in the top of the gun.Thhis keeps it from moving,well that lil lip broke off and is the reason the push pin hangs up.
    I was told the warranty does not cover moving parts!!!????
    Besides the housing of this gun EVERYTHING is a moving part! LOL
    And its all plastic!!!!

Where are all the tools i remember my grandfather useing,heavy powerful tools with metal parts?All his tools work fine and hes had them for over thirty years!Ya go out and buy a newe tool nowadays and its mostly all crap and breaks in a matter of months.

Thats it fer me,no more new tools,I'm getting all my tools at yard sales and flea markets!At least i know if i take care of them they will last a lifetime!

2. misterwhiskers

misterwhiskers New Member

State:
    Trenton
    Well they are getting 5.70 from me.70 cents fer the part and 5 bux minimum order.I'm thinkin on a way i can fabricate something thats stronger than the plastic.

I guess they rather make their money selling ya parts than sell ya a reliable tool.

I noticed over the years all these new tools they make in china/japan and taiwan have the same housings as the old American made tools.Seems like they are just refitting thewm with cheap parts and rewselling them!

3. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    and the quality of products now days sucks to know end.
    bunch of junk for a high price.

4. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    well you can still buy some that are good but you will pay over twice the cost. sad but true but i think its kinda to late now days to turn it around now.

5. bearcat

bearcat Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    You can still by american made products. You just have to go looking for it. Then be ready to pay more for it. Then dont complain about the cost. Oh yeah. Dont go looking for it at walmart they wont have it. Go some where local and buy from a good dealer that you can take it back to and they will either fix it for you or exchange it. Be ready to pay more , but remeber you are getting way more. Plus you will make a new friend > The local hardware supply guy. He will be full of info that you cannot get anywhere else. In the long run the extra initial cost will be cheap.

It dont take long for a half price piece of junk to end up costing just as much or more than the good stuff and you dont have to get the run around from the customer service phone that you are talking to.

Remeber you get what you pay for. JMHO

6. Ol Whiskers

Ol Whiskers New Member

State:
    Fairfield Township, Ohio
    I've always made it as point to find good tools, spend a bit more for high quality when it counts (usually, if it's my $$ it counts!), and then take care of it like it was the only one around.

A friend of mine works for a commercial air tool company, they're setting up a facility in China. He took a competitor air tool over there, and they had a team of guys ready to reverse engineer it. In a matter of one day, they had 3-d CAD models of each part, drawings with dimensions and target tolerances, CNC machine tool programs, production planning and bill of materials, cost estimate for materials and labor, and projected selling price undercutting the first competitor.

They're getting really good at machining stuff. Remember when Odd Lots first came around, and they sold jobber closeouts of American products, with a few of the chinese junk tools mixed in. You could tell the foreign stuff just by looking at it. Now it looks the same as American tools, but is made by state-subsidized labor or even prison labor. The only things they don't do really do well yet are heat treatment and sintering, and they're getting to that.

This is a major problem for the US. Not only are we getting undercut by our own countrymen buying this cr@p, our corporate globalization policies only serve to play the Wall St. bottom line game for investors. But, for shortsited investors, when there's no more cost to trim out by going offshore, there will also not be any more Americans with jobs enough jack to buy the stuff.

Bigger than that, 20 years ago, the chinese could not get close to an American machine tool, computer, PLC, or software package. Now, thanks to lobbying to loosen restrictions on technology transfer, our business leaders are giving them just about everything, and they're pirating the rest. CAD Software that sells here for $20,000 per seat goes for a few dollars over there - that software cost some company, or more likely the US DoD, millions of dollars to develop, same as new pharmaceuticals. Where will we be in another 20 years, when 2 billion chinese are making jet engines, aircraft, submarines, missiles, and computers we gave them the rights to, using engineers we trained on scholarships in our colleges? Will they be making the military tools we no longer have the expertise to develop?

Sorry for the political tone, but you got me started. Been there, doin' that right now.

Dennis

7. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    Ol' Whiskers, you said a mouth full there. I agree with you on that.

IMHO we are giving away America. The pace is kicking up.

8. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Dennis you covered the whole vacuum! Don't get me started....:cursing: :cursing: :cursing:

9. topjimmy

topjimmy New Member

State:
    AZ
    America has no manufacturing. If we ever got into a situation like we were in WWII, we would never be able to pull off what we did back then with manufacturing.

10. Nobody Special

Nobody Special New Member

State:
    TN
    Those good ol' Carhart bibs and jackets y'all are wearing (Made by rednecks in Dover Tennessee) are going to be made south of the border if you plan to buy any next year. I have a jacket that I've been wearing for about 10 years. It's in my avatar photo. Kind of ragged, but I wear it most every day when it's cold and it will probably last a couple or three more years before I retire it.

11. Aquacat

Aquacat New Member

State:
    Sherman, Texas
    Looper rigs and dk's punch bait are made in usa!:)

12. Ted Nugent

Ted Nugent New Member

State:
    Texas
    I Seem To Remember Some Big Guy With Big Ears That Ran For President saying "There's A Giant Sucking Sound"...Meaning Jobs Leaving

Of Course He's Millonair Nutjob, But It Does Seem To Be True

Gibson Guitars Are Still Made In America, Of Course They Cost $2100 For A Good One, Fender Guitars Are Made In America, Of Course For A Good One They Are $1500, But Their Mexican Made Or Japanese Made One's Are Half The Price:sad:

But On The Bright Side We Have American Idol, That Was Created In England.........:rolleyes: Now I'm Depressed, better go fishing:)

13. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    as far as air nailer go bostich are pretty good i have 3
    a framer a finish and a brad i also have a couple porter cable
    so far i aint had any problems.
    hitachi is very good too..

as far as finding anything made in the us not very many items that have a lot of different small parts are going to be exclusively made in the us

14. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    you know i could go into a very big tirade about this subject but im not. i dont blame the companys at all. most are just trying to stay afloat in this "new order"/free trade world. i lost my job to mexico this summer because our company couldnt compete with cheaper labor. we tried but it wasnt enough. the ones i do blame are the poloticians who are blind to the deception of those that wish to bring this great country to a ruin, AND....AND those that BLINDLY vote along party-lines without researching what their candidates stand for. the cries of the independent party's about this free-trade B.S. went unheard back in the early 90's and now we are payin for it! he may have been a nut-job to some but Ross was right.

15. stickthrower

stickthrower New Member

State:
    Possum Kingdom Lk, TX
    Party Lines? Now days it's just trying to pick the lesser evil! :mad: JMO. Like the old saying about Polititians, IF THEIR LIPS ARE MOVING THEIR LYING!
    Frank

16. greg

greg USCA - STAFF Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    GA/ Ia
    don't get me started on this subject guys. All I am going to say is we brought it upon ourselves.

17. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Cordova, TN
    Misterwhiskers, and others, I commend you all for saying what many people are either afraid to say or do anything about: America is no longer the world leader in technology & manufacturing. That's not to say that there are no longer U.S. companies that can design and/or manufacture state-of-the-art products, but those comanies that do all of the work here in the good-'ol US of A are now few and far between - mostly small businesses (the historical backbone of this country). While this situation can appear very complex, I believe that it can be said that we (the politicians, corporate America, and consumers) have brought it upon ourselves. I also believe, that as there are more voters/consumers that politicians/corporate officers, we can begin to turn this ship around before it is totally sunk.

18. akwolf41

akwolf41 Master Instigator of the BOC!

State:
    Kenai, Ala
    MisterWhiskers:

The Thread you started is a good one and I have to agree with you Wholeheartedly. One of our Great Retailers WALMART has been pushing these overseas products since Ole Sam Walton Died and Bass Pro Shops is doing the same thing. These are stores that Loads of people thinks is the only place to buy anything. Both Companys have product offered to them to carry in their Stores and they get sample Products to appraise. They in turn ship them to China or Tiawan and have the product Reverse engineered and have them for sale in their Stores within a couple of months. The New American Way.

My 2 Cents:

Gene

19. centralcalcat

centralcalcat New Member

State:
    Marion, TX
    well one good thing is starting to come around major companies like the one I work for (SOny) have been outsourcing thei rcall centers for years now, but they are finding out the hard way that someone in INdia cannot relate to US customers and their customer service rating sent way down. now they are opening US call centers and are trying to pul out of all their overseas areas.

20. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Walmart, now tells the manufacturers what price they will pay for an item. They know that US manufacturers can't do it for that price, thereby forcing them to go overseas to even stay in business.

Another tactic they used to be very bad for was over ordering, then nit picking the item to death, and offer to buy it at a large discount in the end. Everytime I see the little price busters emblem, I know another manufacturer had this ploy used on them.

It is that great sucking sound Mr. Perot spoke about. I still want to know how people are going to buy all the cheap items, if they don't have a job?