Does a population of large flatheads keep channel cat populations down?

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by flathunter, Feb 4, 2009.

1. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    The spot on the river I fish has quite a few large flatheads, but I catch very few channels cats, even using fresh cut baits.

I probably catch more flatheads over 20-lbs than I do channel cats of any size.

And when I do catch a channel it's usually under 4-lbs.

So my next question, do you think a 50-lb plus flathead could eat a 10-lb channel cat?

2. keepitsimple

keepitsimple New Member

State:
    virginia
    No doubt in my mind. Anything a flathead can get in it's mouth, it will eat. I know for a fact a 37lb blue will eat a flathead. A few others here will back me up on that one.

3. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Yep, sure does!:roll_eyes: Thats why the Muskingum River is full of them pesky channels, and you don't catch them on the Scioto River as much..LOL...LISTEN UP PEOPLE... The Scioto is swimming full of monster flatheads, so everyone needs to go there to fish for flatheads and leave the Muskingum alone:smile2: Nothing but carp and channels here, with an occassional turtle:wink::eek:oooh: rollo

4. Joey6500

Joey6500 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    And the occasional drum:eek:oooh:

5. CatFuStyle

CatFuStyle New Member

State:
    Xenia, Ohio
    i beleive they have a direct affect for sure, i fish two lakes, one is a small impound that has monster flats in it and monster channels but very few, the other lake i fish has very few monster flats in it but has a bunch of smaller ones, now the channels in this lake are more abundant and dont get as big.

6. Joey6500

Joey6500 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    In 07 I caught a 7 lb channel with blood dripping off its tail.When I took a better look at it it had scrapes down both sides of itCouldn't think of anything but a big Flathead.And how fresh the wound was I was hopin the fish was still around and still hungry. I didn't sleep a wink that night:eek:oooh: and didn't get any flatheads either:sad2:

7. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    I think flatheads have a direct effect on channel cat population. How many times have you been catching channels and them quit biting and in a few minutes catch some nice flatheads???:wink: Like has been said flatheads will eat anything they can get in their mouth. A 20+# flat has a good size mouth on it and a 40 or 50#er has one even bigger.

8. misterwhisker

misterwhisker New Member

State:
    T. Bowl
    first of all jack there aren't any flats in the sci. :wink: 2nd your not fishin for channels :smile2:

9. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I think there is an effect, but I think more has to do with the river system and even different stretches on the entire system. Every river has its own species that thrive under conditions that make some fisheries better for some species than others. Here are some examples. I have fished pretty much every stretch of the Muskingum River from where it starts to where it meets the Ohio. On the northern half of the river, it is made solely of sand, gravel, and has many shallow rocky riffles for many miles heading down stream. It also has alot more current that channel cats are often drawn to. Yes, there is a good supply of flatheads as well. The further south you go, the system changes. There is deeper water, and still some sand and gravel, but the current is much slower and I have caught less channels here. Im sure there is an abundant supply of channels, but they are congregating in areas more suitable for them. Yes, the further south you go, there is probably a bigger supply of bigger flatheads, but there is also more water for the area. On the northern part of the river, it is not uncommon to be able to catch 10-20 or more channels on a single outing. I have yet had that success anywhere else on the system but there. So, I really think it has more to do with having the proper conditions for them to be in, than thinking they are all getting ate up. If there is that many monster flatheads out there wiping out the channel cat population, I would think they would be wiping out all other species that reside in the system as well, and the state would have to take issue with an over abundance problem.. Just my opinion.... rollo

10. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    i would say yes,they have a direct effect on channels.but you would think there would be bigger channels in the river where you are fishing,unless they are holing up somewhere else

11. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Anyone up here that throws fresh cut shad, catches channels:smile2: Call it flathead fishing or whatever you want, but you are gonna catch channels and many of them:smile2::crazy: rollo

12. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    I think what's going on is you have big flats living in a hole or area and the channels know this by all the close calls where they have almost been eaten. Big flatheads will drive away smaller flats and channels so they can keep all the resources to themselves. So you got small flats and big channels in other areas.

13. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have never seen a river without flats and channels. As a matter of fact most rivers have bends and ripples too. Now I have caught flats from flats and flats from ripples.And I have caught channels from channels and channels from bends, but I have never got the bends from swimming in flats with ripples in the channel. I've seen guys chase flats and channels out of a hole by drinking ripple. A hole, now theres the rub. What is a hole? If a hole is just big enough to fit one fifty pound flat then no other fish could get in any way. Now if a hole is a big section of river next to a channel that goes through a ripple, run or flat then maybe there would be room for flats and channels to share. And since flats and channels both like to travel for dinner what would make the difference to them where they sleep. Heck they may even share a bottle of ripple every now and again to kill time. As for getting eaten, I think big fish get big by being smart enough not to get eaten. I don't think flats and channels fight over territory. I think the only fighting to be done is in defense of nests and that comes mostly from the little fish of any species.:big_smile:

14. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    i beleive they have a direct affect for sure

15. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    NO

Yes it could, but not sure it would!

Garry-

16. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Pretty much what I was getting at on the first question, forgot to answer the second one time I was done wearing myself out writing! LOL.. Wish I could have them cat-like reflexs like you Garry!!:smile2: rollo

BTW,,, Jack, are you thinking of trying 10 pound channels for bait?:smile2::wink: I think with your sucess you wouldn't change things up much!:wink::eek:oooh: rollo

17. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P

First of all, you guys don't give the 10lb channel any respect! I don't think a big flat whole be able to chase down a 10lb channel.

As for the channel cat population thing I agree. You literally cannot catch a channel cat in the non-tidal Skuke under 4lbs:crazy:! The only place you are able to catch small channel cats is the tidal Skuke where the flatheads are not prevelant. I have never caught a bullhead in the Skuke either.

18. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    I think it is all about the food chain. They go where it is the easy place to catch there pray and it is swift water and being able to ambush. flats like heavy cover , slow water and just set and weight for there meal and Blues are very agressive and they move perrty much all the time there like a cow they go to where the most food is. just my 2's

19. smoothkip25

smoothkip25 New Member

State:
    ohio
    Oh I get it now Jack, Thanks!!:smile2:

20. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio

I know it sounds wierd but, after reading this I have this need to rub a nipple? I gotta go, see ya.