Does a big flathead stay in one area

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by mopar, Sep 1, 2008.

1. mopar

mopar New Member

State:
    arkansas
    I was trotlining this weekend in a place i know holds lots of flatheads and when i run one line i had caught a 3 or 4 lb blue. when i seen him i could see he was almost dead. then after looking it over it was no doubt he had been eaten. apparently head first because his side fins were broke towards the front. I know the whole fish was in the big fishes mouth because even its tail was all frayed red. I know it was a catfish because it had the hide all skint up from its teeth marks and the blue was 18 in. long. How big does anybody think this fish could be and do you think he will stay in the same area. I have been trotling many years and never seen anything like this.

2. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    I believe that flathead cat would have to be 35 pounds or bigger. From my experience and observations, big flathead cats are territorial and have their home range area. My bet is that flathead cat is still in the area.

3. patrickgd

patrickgd New Member

State:
    Memphis TN
    Interesting thread you've started here. If it was a another fish that tried to eat the Blue you caught I would guess it might have been a large Gar. The reason I say this is because if a Flathead grabbed him it would've more than likely not escaped. The Flatheads mouth is designed to accomodate prey up to 1/3 of it's body weight and as we know the Flathead will engulf it's prey swallowing it whole quickly. It's powerful jaws and abrasive maw ensure that the prey cannot escape. A Gar however will grab a fish and run with it until it finds a suitable place to stop and chew the prey until it is ready to be swallowed. Another possibility would be that the fish got pinned by a moving tree or log in the current. Interesting to think about whatever it was. Thanks for sharing.

4. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    Yep I agree. John and I compared pictures of three Flathead catfish we caught from the same area. One pic. from last year and two from this year, a few weeks apart, all the photos are the same fish. It has one real short whisker, and a distinctive marking right behind its head. Only thing different is it gains weight :smile2: Last year it weighed 40lbs, Then when John caught it early this spring 43lb and then 45lb a few weeks later when I caught it again. This catfish was caught three times in two years and all three hits were within about 25 yards of each other.

5. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    i seen a flat about nine pounds get pounded.had marks from the dorsal and side fins to the tip of the tail,it got away.these were not teeth marks,but more like the bumps you would see from a flats mouth.

6. mopar

mopar New Member

State:
    arkansas
    Thanks for the info. thats the way this fish looked. It had the hide nearly rubbed off on a couple places on its head. I know it was a catfish because it looked like you took a piece of sand paper to it from head to tail. The only reason it didnt take the fish is because it was hooked through the bottom jaw with a 12/0 circle. but looks like it stayed in the big fishes stomach for a little while before he pulled it out from the looks of the fins and tail. I hope it didnt do to much damage when it broke the side fins on the blue. Looks like im going to be spending some time there with a float rig and some bullheads.

7. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Go get him Mike. Be sure and have the camera close by and take some pics.

8. muddyjet

muddyjet New Member

State:
    Alabama
    I had a blue cat that was about 15lbs with one that was maybe 5lbs stuck in its mouth. The smaller one was on my trotline baited with crawfish.

Now, I have seen many a cat with the scrapes along its sides, some so bad they to had turned red. Have been told all my life that it was from the larger cats grabbing them an "milking" or squezzing the row out of them. If you cut them open you will find 9 out of 10 have had eggs inside. So, I am a firm believer that this is true. Most cats that want lunch wouldnt let it go after they have gotten most of it down their throat.......

9. scwhite

scwhite New Member

State:
    Shreveport , La.
    Yes that was a " BIG FLATHEAD " and he will stay there as long as there is plenty to eat . You get you some throw lines or stump lines and get you some bigger hooks . What size hooks you using? You Need # 12/0 or larger . Just put One hook on it with a window wait. Bait up with a big fish for bait . Use 10 inch long cat fish for bait Live bait only.

10. scwhite

scwhite New Member

State:
    Shreveport , La.
    Ha Mickey don't you think that is a big Flathead I do.

11. scwhite

scwhite New Member

State:
    Shreveport , La.
    HA mopar you fishing in a river or lake.

12. mopar

mopar New Member

State:
    arkansas
    Im fishing in the arkansas river. The place im fishing is about 10 to 15 ft deep with a bunch of sunken trees in it. Took me forever to find a place to put a couple of lines in it. I knew there was probably some big flatheads there because of it being so hard for anybody to fish. The hooks i was using were 12/0 circle hooks. But i do have some 14/0 stump hooks rigged up with a 16 oz slip sinker we use to use on lake hugo in oklahoma. I think i can find enough limbs to maybe tie a few of them on and do some pole fishing too. I would just like to get him up and get a picture.

13. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Hey, similar story here,,, was fishing in a backwater of the colorado river a few weeks ago, and ,,,
    well, I'm using a 7' trolling rod, with a cabelas 45 trolling reel w/ 50 lb mono, #8 circle, and large (hand size) live bluegill for bait
    woke up and the clicker was singing away, I grabbed up my rod and started reeling, and couldn't hardly slow the thing down,, finally got it turned and was a bringin it back up and had it about 3/4 of the way into the bank, when the line got much lighter,,,,,,,I reeled on in, and had a 4 lb Largemouth bass on my line, thoroughly hooked from eating the bluegill,,, he was all scuffed up and de-scaled lookin,,,. , I imagine he was a feelin pretty good about his meal till he became one!
    I definitely want to get back to that "hole" and try for that cat, (flathead) , I've never caught a larger bass either!!! he went in the freezer of course, as he was in pretty bad shape/.

14. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Mike and Greg,

Do exactly what is said above!

Use the biggest hooks and biggest baits you can get your hands on. A flathead that big only wants one big meal.

15. catter62

catter62 New Member

State:
    texas
    While fishing for bait, it's very common here at the farm pond to have a big bass hit a gill hard on the way in. Usually snaps the 4 lb. line.

16. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Sounds like you found a Flathead heaven from what you described, with the stumps and logs and 10-15' of water. I do beleive that this is a really big Flathead and you have found one of his favorite spots. He is probably hanging really close to the cover and If it were me....I would switch to a King Kahle Hook around 9 or 10/0 so that you could make a quicker hook set and get him up and out of the debris before he gets wrapped around something. He will use any obstacle to his advantage. I would definetly try to catch him on Rod & reel and use the biggest Bluegills I could get or a good Bullhead. Good Luck to ya and let us know how it goes!!!!!!:big_smile:

17. jason berry

jason berry New Member

State:
    Evansville
    Ive got a very good flathead spot and Ive caught some of the same flats their, for some reason there are very large flatheads in their I think there are some huge concrete rebar hangups their. the flats love them and hold in their very well. Some times when you go down the river you will see large holes in the sides of the dirt thats where those flathead holes are at so I think they stay in their alot.

18. mopar

mopar New Member

State:
    arkansas
    Thanks John I will be trying to get him on a rod and reel rigged with big cat bobbers and bullheads. may be a while though i figure the river is going to get on a goodun. we done got 12 in. of rain here in 28 hours and its moving right on up the river.

19. scwhite

scwhite New Member

State:
    Shreveport , La.
    Is there any deep water near by. Like 30 + foot . If it is drop you one or two lines in there. You just might get him in that deep hole.

20. scwhite

scwhite New Member

State:
    Shreveport , La.
    Ha Blacky , Mike And Greg , those are some fine looking Flatheads you got there.