Doe thinning

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by Paraguayguy, Nov 6, 2008.

1. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy Active Member

State:
    Virginia
    My brother's place is dirt lousey with deer. He is in the DMAP deer program in VA. The state says we should shoot 15 does a year off the place. Sat was opening of Muzzle Loading here in VA. We both got our two does. I saw probably 15 bucks of different sizes but none big enough to shoot. DMAP works. All four does taken with Thompson Encore 50's. We are heading back the last day of Muzzle loader and first day of the regular season. Picture of Saturday's effort and a nice one my brother got up there a few years ago. I love Muzzle loader season! :big_smile:

Attached Files:

2. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Pardon my ignorance, what is DMAP? I assume it's a form of quality deer herd management?

3. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Congrats on the doe's . Shoot the does if dnr says to best thing to do to get the bucks to actually behave in a rutting fashion !:wink: Also it will help the overall size of the deer you do not shoot .

4. Jacksmooth

Jacksmooth Member

State:
    West Virginia
    That looks like a bunch of jerky to me. Nice buck! Thanks for sharing!

5. Paraguayguy

State:
    Virginia
    DMAP = Deer Management Assistance Program. DMAP is run by the Va state wildlife biologists. They send a Biologist out. He looks around and recommends how many does you can safely remove and not hurt the overall population. Our farm does breed like rats having two and up to four fawns each. Landowners are required to weigh each field dressed deer and cut out a jaw bone to send in at the end of the season along with sex of the deer. They send back a report with the age of the deer and general health based on wieght and whatever info they get from the jaw, (age is one thing) One of the does I shot Saturday, her molars were ground down to the jawline. My guess an extremely old deer. The Buck in the picture was 5 1/2 years old.

In a nutshell, many places in Va, our farm included are over run with too many deer. The Doe buck ratio on our place was about 20 does per buck. Ideally the herd would be close to one buck per doe. The habitat will only support so many deer. By shooting does over a number of years you end up with close to the one buck to one doe ratio. We have been in the program 4 years. We still have loads of deer, the difference is we see almost as many bucks as does and the bucks are getting bigger.

6. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Great post,Kenneth. I wish the N M game and fish Dept. understood that buck to doe ratio.:wink:

7. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    Being selective which does you take will also help the over population too. The older does will have more offspring than the younger ones. So taking the older does out of the herd will have a greater effect.

8. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    20 to 1? I should be so lucky. At least that buck died happy.:wink:

MO doesn't have the same idea on how to lower the ratio. They recently made most counties require the one buck we are allowed, to have at least 4 points on one side, They also allow us to purchase as many doe permits we want (no limit) for only $7 apiece. I read somewhere that one hunter shot over 100 does a couple of years back. He said he could have got more, but was spending more time finding people to take the deer than he was hunting. As for myself, I wasn't able to hunt doe season last year, but have been getting 5-11 a year before that.
    We have the unusual situation in MO that most of the deer herd is in the north part of the state, while several counties in the south are depleted of deer. I think a statewide deer drive is in order.:wink:

9. Paraguayguy

State:
    Virginia
    I lived in St Louis 5 years in the late 80's. I have a cousin who farms outside Boiling Green. I used to deer hunt on him. Pleanty of deer there! My passion then was birds. I had two bird dogs and no children. Every weekend of the season found me in the Grand View motel in Memphis MO , Scotland County. Never have I ever been anywhere that I saw more big Bucks. That farm country on the Iowa border grows some whoppers. I couldn't tell you how many Boone and Crockett 160+ class bucks my dogs ran out of drain ditches. Those bucks were lucky that I had outgrown my outlaw days.

10. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I live out in the country as I like to call it. We have always had lots of deer, but we never really seen any big bucks until a few years ago. What we did was to harvest more mature does. It is great for the herd and for trophy hunting big bucks. After several years of harvesting 4 or 5 mature does every year for 5 years....we now have some very respectful bucks and big buck sightings is now common in our immediate area. Last year I shot my largest buck ever as he was in search of a hot doe during the rut. I was positioned in an area that they use for bedding areas....the buck came through at a trot with his nose to the ground. What makes this work is adjusting the buck to doe ratio!!!!!!We let all the small bucks walk on through and will harvest does for the freezer and wait for that monster buck for the wall. It does work!!!!:cool2:

11. Txbluecatman

Txbluecatman Member

State:
    Texas
    Great harvest. Looks like lots of good eating. Thanks for sharing.

12. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I find this interesting My nephews have a unc that has a farm within 80miles of me:wink: the deer are so bad the DNR told them to get to triggen & arrowin....They got some serious land taggs......Iowa - Illinios and Missouri have some of the baddest whittails you will ever get a chance to bear down on & our fishing aint so bad either:wink: Nice harvest...fer sure it will eat!good post

13. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Congrats on the harvest. I live in southwest mo. and even though we have several deer, i don't think there is a population explosion in this area. Prior to this season they allowed unlimited doe tags here. This year they cut it to 1 buck and 1 doe. If i want more meat, i'll have to drive north a couple hours. The part that intrigues me is how they went from kill all you want to just one?I'll likely go to truman lake this coming friday and try to get enuff doe meat to get me thru and hopefully get a wack at a desent buck. If i don't fill my tag on the buck, i'll live with it. Rather shoot fat nannys then a young buck deer.

14. zeboman

zeboman New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Congratulations on the harvest !!!!

15. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    For my money,, doe eats better anyway.:big_smile:

BTW I have some Deer stew on the stove right now!! Yum, Yum!!

16. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Funny you would mention that, i've marinated backstrap all day and fixin to lay it on my griddle. Big skillet full of greasy fryed taters an onions,,,i'll be cuttin a fat hawg in the azz.:wink:

17. tkoehler

tkoehler New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    heard somewhere that you always want to shoot old does so that the younger does that were bred by bigger bucks can pass on ginetics

18. Little Mac

Little Mac Active Member

State:
    NW Arkansa
    I agree with this. we have a large herd of doe and most wont shoot em, they are a bunch of horn hunters in this area. I wish they would take some out as the herd is very unbalanced. an I havent seen a "good" shooter buck in a few years.