Doe harvest

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by Zing, Oct 10, 2007.

1. Zing

Zing Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I have read post on larger bucks and bigger racks, but not much on harvesting does. I have insults thrown my way for killing does, but it needs to be done. For larger bucks and heavier deer you need to take out does. When you have a large amount of does running around, they are competing for the same food source as the bucks. They are inbreeding, which will cause smaller racks and smaller bodies. The buck to doe ratio should be around 1:1. This would mean a lot of does killed. Think about this: why would a large mature buck run around during the rut and chase does in the day, when it could wait for the does on the food plots at night. The mature bucks will go noctirnal when pressure incresses in the woods. Bump him once and he is gone noctirnal. Here in TN in unit L you can kill 3 doe a day from around middle sept thru first week in jan. There is no way you could comsume that much meat. My son and I will shoot as many deer as our freezer will hold. We still do not come close to killing as many does as needed and we do get some help from friends. Think about it.

2. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    Agreed, I will take a doe anytime the opportunity comes my way. I hunt as much for the meat as anything else. Don't get me wrong I will take a big buck any day but if that is all I went after I would not have near as much in the freezer each year. When I was a kid I thought killing a doe was wrong, I just did not know any better. Those tenderloin sure are tasty!:big_smile:

3. Zing

Zing Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I grow up in texas and back then in east Texas ther were not a lot of deer, and we did not eat sirlons everyday. We took what ever we could, I still do not eat sirlons and vinison and cats are in the freezer. I hunted Ft Bragg in NC for many years and saw what a very large doe heard would do to the deer. A good buck 4 1/2 years old did not weigh 100lbs. The rack at best was a basket rack 8. Around 1990 or so biologist started controlling the heard with a very lebral doe harvest and the weight and rack size incressed. I left in 2005. The average mature buck would weigh about 145-150, with a large buck in the 180s no over 200. The land around FT Bragg deer were being killed 200+

4. CatFishingFinatic

CatFishingFinatic New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I agree with you zing. We start our muzzey season on Saturday. I won't be ashamed to take a doe. Earlier this year we seen many does with twins even triplets. I believe that deer management starts with the does. Great post.

5. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    Here in PA Im sure you've all heard of our childish deer war. the PA hunting culture grew up thinking you shouldnt shoot a doe, only a buck was worth it. then our herd grew out of balance from generations of lop sided harvests. more and more does were running around. anything with a bit of horn was blown away but yet hardly anyone but the meathunters (like me) was tagging does. Now, we have regeneration problems because of the over browsing and more waste trees in the woods because the desirable saplings were eaten. deer body sizes are small if your not in an agricultural area. So comes along Dr Alt who put into effect a heavy herd reduction to help save the forests and balance the deer herd with heavy antlerless allocations. Good idea but was not done right. Now we have sections of the state where theres a serious problem (north central pa) where theres few deer left where other areas like mine are suburban and we have to many deer. Now people are on a head hunting scavenger hunt trying to string up the pgc. the pgc sound like bush and want to stay the course but are strapped for cash because they havent had a license increase since 99. They've cut back on programs and have fewer wco's to patrol. Both sides have made mistakes. The pgc issued to large an antlerless allocation and the hunters who should know what their local herd looks like said "hey thanks for the tags" and filled them all. who's fault is it that theres no deer? its both of their faults. There is NOTHING wrong with harvesting does. Its beneficial to harvest does, so forget their taunting. You'll be the one with the family well fed. just dont over harvest. Ultimately we are the stewards of our lands not the game commissioners. We pull the trigger and with that, the responsibility lies in ours hands. Enjoy the backstrap and happy grilling.

6. Big B

Big B New Member

State:
    North Texas
    You got it brother. I hunt does and really don't care what other people think. It's called population management. It works wonders for our quality of deer.

7. Zing

Zing Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Scoot at present I'm not too worried about over harvest. There is not a lot of hunting pressure around me, but there are a lot of deer. In TN when I bought the property about 14 years ago we were killing around 15 bucks off 100 acres. They were all basket rack bucks, except for a few nice bucks. We never saw a lot of does. Then TN change and you can only kill 3 bucks a year, which I really like. We now have some really nice 3 1/2+ year old bucks runnning around here. But we do have a very large doe heard. Last year I counted 20 does in one group pass by during muzzel loader season, and was not afforded a shot. I was able to take out a few as the season went by, but not nearly enough.

8. Zing

Zing Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Sorry Scott for the miss spelling

9. ladyfish50

ladyfish50 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Good posts, & glad to hear some of you speak up on this. My first deer was a doe, & I can't tell you how many "macho guys" acted like it wasn't that much of an accomplishment to kill a doe. I was very proud of her, & my husband was thrilled for me. In fact, he's proud every time I take a deer, buck or doe. I've never killed a good buck before, but am just waiting for that day to come. I do know when you see alot more does & yearlings, your population is getting out of balance, even if the big ole boys have gone nocturnal. We have been teaching our grandsons that you do take some does, but you don't go out & shoot everything you see. They learned to watch a pair of young yearlings, & to let them walk, but then one boy got his first deer, a spike, and the other one got his first, a doe. They were both just as excited, and so were Grandma & Grandpa!!

10. CatFishingFinatic

CatFishingFinatic New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Hey ladyfish, great post yourself and it is great to be in company of other ladies who share the same passion as I do. I can't wait for the day to take my grandbabies hunting and fishing. Especially my granddaughter. Not that my grandsons and granddaughter are any different I just think daddy will be more willing to take the boys then the girl.

I haven't shot a doe yet. I hunted deer for 6 years and never even got close enough to draw up on one till 2 years ago and I did get lucky enough to shoot a 150 plus class buck. Which my husband and kids were all very proud of, we photographed it as a family a team effort, I shot the deer but we all enjoyed it and continue to. This year I won't be ashamed to take a doe and will have just as much pride in it as a buck.

11. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    By shear luck, I have a great place to hunt with a very good chance to shoot a book buck. However, the owners who a so nice to allow me the privilege to hunt on their land, have asked that I thin the does out as much as possible. I know which side my bread is buttered on. Last year, I got 11 does. The year before, 9 does. I have hunted up there for about 10 years now and have only got 2 bucks, both nice 8 pointers. However, I have let many nicer ones walk. I honestly can not remember how long it has been since I got a buck. This year, I will continue the does quest, but I'm also making plans on a real good buck. I'll have the farm almost to myself for around 4 days, so I think I have a better than average shot at it. LOL

12. jeffw51

jeffw51 New Member

State:
    mo
    right on richard, you got to take the does.besides controlling the numbers and making the herd healthier,it makes the rut more intense.when the amount of does decreases the competition between bucks becomes fierce and you get, more chasing, more rubs and scrapes ,more fighting,etc.

13. Cathooker

Cathooker New Member

State:
    Ga
    On the property that I hunt in Alabama we have to take two does before we can take a buck. It is under a management program and we all know the importance of keeping the numbers down.

Here in my home state of Ga. my neighbor and myself combined own a total of 200 acres of huntable land in one tract . We both love to eat venison. Because of the surrounding hunting pressure on bucks, the poor soil quality and no agriculture except our food plots the bucks do not grow very large in this area. A 130 class buck is considered huge. ( I go to Ky and Alabama in search of the bugger bucks.) Thusly we shoot a lot more does than bucks on this property.

Not only do I agree with the harvest of does I encourage it. I don't care if the uneducated group, that oppose it, think bad about me for this practice.

14. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    I'm a meat hunter first. I don't worry about bucks until I have three deer in the freezer. That eliminates the pressure, and lets me concentrate on finding a nice buck. It also helps me locate family groups and their core areas. The bucks will come there when the rut gets closer. Big bucks are nice to get, but I've found that you can boil those antlers all day long and they still taste like CrAAaaPPppP!

15. billNpam

billNpam Active Member

State:
    Alabama
    Well the misses (PAM) does not like the taste of vension. So I limit my self to two deer a year. Most of the time it is the first two that walk under the stand. this year I want something to go on the wall in my new house so I will kill one doe and one buck. As far as taste for me I usually like to only kill does. If I was not Horn hunting this year I would only shoot does.

16. jstall

jstall New Member

State:
    Gary Texas
    I read an article that said, “Kill does until you think you have kill to many then kill more”. I do not know if I believe this but I am not educated in this field. I harvest deer to eat and I like doe meat over bucks. I past the larger old bucks up. This makes my son and daughter crazy. I photograph them to prove I saw them. They taste bad and stink to bad to eat. I cannot use that much sausage. I can remember when all I saw in a year was two are three deer, here in my part of East Texas. Now there are so many deer I cannot grow crops they eat.

17. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    They plan the gun season here in IN to be around the rut, and I just think the doe taste better. Getting more meat doesn't help if it's gotta be sausage. I think the hunter gets blamed sometime for poor field dressing, care etc, but most times it's age and hormones. Just "Gamey".

18. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    I'm with yall, i kill a doe anytime i can. Last year i shot a doe on opening day of shotgun season. Everybody told me i was crazy, cause i'd never see a buck the rest of the year. Well, i seen several bucks through the season. Dont get me wrong, i love to shoot those nice bucks, but i'm not gonna give up a chance to kill a doe "just in case" theres a buck around. In my area of maryland, you can kill 2 bucks and 10 does for each of the seasons (bow, muzzleloader, shotgun), but you gotta kill 2 does and buy a "bonus stamp" before you can shoot that second buck for each season. This keeps a lot of people shooting does around here, that would normally only shoot bucks.

19. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Did I misunderstand Matt? 2 bucks and 10 does for each of three seasons? My God I thought we were overrun by deer. How many freezers you guys keep around?

20. Cathooker

Cathooker New Member

State:
    Ga
    Here in Ga we have a 10 doe 2 buck limit.

Where I hunt in Ky we have 1 buck and no limit on does.

Where I hunt in Alabama we have a 3 buck limit and a doe a day limit for the entire season.

Ample opportunity to fill several freezers.

Come on Girls and boys let the doe killing begin....