dodged a bullet i guess

Discussion in 'Trapping & Fur Taking' started by Wil, Nov 25, 2007.

1. Wil

Wil New Member

State:
    Minden Nebraska
    im still not sure if this is good or bad but my COONhound treed a bobcat this morning at about 10 o clock. and they arent in season but bobcats around here dont stay in the trees when a human shows up so i had to shoot the cat so it wouldnt bail.. cuz if it woulda bailed it woulda got in a fight with my hound and tore her to shreds. i didnt wanna shoot a cat outta season cuz we dont have many around but i did what i had to do to keep my dog from getting her eyes scratched out.. it might end up bein a good thing though cuz bobcats are worth 100 dollars around here this year and if shes gonna turn into a bobcat dog then im gonna have to get a smaller caliber rifle than a 270 and get another dog to back her up but she did a good job on it when it hit the ground she went and took it right at the neck where she was supposed to. ill have pics up later

2. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    Wil,

Don't know if its the best thing to post with a large body of conservation officers on the BOC.

Shoot a staff member a trouble ticket if you re-think it.

Thanks,
    Paul

3. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    Hopefully he contacted a conservation agent before he posted it for the whole world to see!

4. Wil

Wil New Member

State:
    Minden Nebraska
    ya i told my local conservation officer and he let me off considerin my dog woulda probably got tore up. i still feel real bad about shootin it though

5. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Hmm, My labs been in fights with bobcats worse that ever happen to them is they get wacked on the face. No big deal really. I always feel if your going to use a dog for hunting use it. By the way what kind of dog do you have?

6. River_monster91

River_monster91 New Member

State:
    central kansas
    you must have some tuff labs. ive seen a few dogs after they have been in a fight with a bobcat and man they needed some help after it.

7. John(Bullhead)Hagen

John(Bullhead)Hagen New Member

State:
    ILLinois
    :confused2:I have ran hounds for 32 years and there is something fishy here. We allways leash our hounds back when we shoot so as not to tear up the coon so bad.Why not leash the dog and take her from the tree and praise her and say good job and wait till they are in season,and take her back to the box or kennel.Do you hunt with big bore guns with your dogs.DNR here would have burned you bad if this is the story here in IL.

8. Wil

Wil New Member

State:
    Minden Nebraska

bobcats around here never stay in the tree and if i woulda walked up to the tree to get my dog the cat woulda bailed and my dog woulda ran it down and got in a fight with the thing. shes a coonhound and we mostly run her on coons and they dont bail out of the tree like ever and so when we saw a bobcat in the tree my grandpa said it would be best to shoot the cat out and keep the dog from gettin her eyes scratched out. i listened to my grandpa on this one hes lost hounds to bobcats before. we werent even hunting it was 10 in the morning and she started treein in the grove behind the house. my grandpa went to see what she was doin and he saw the bobcat in the tree when he was about 30 yards from the tree so he called me and i got the gun and we shot so it wouldnt bail when we tried to pull my hound off the tree

9. Wil

Wil New Member

State:
    Minden Nebraska
    ya every dog ive seen after a run in with a bobcat has had its belly split open or had its eyes put out. but i guess a good number of dogs wouldnt have too much trouble with one cat but one dog on one cat will get tore up.

i have a treeing walker coonhound shes only like 2 years old

10. lroyal

lroyal New Member

State:
    Georgia
    i agree with ya will but u probably should have kept it to yourself. dont invite trouble if ya can help it. i always look after my dogs first so i dont blame ya for shootin it. But i wouldnt do it again if i could help it.

11. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

yep, and boc will be more than happy to give up your ip address so the game warden can show up on your front door.

12. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I have had a Bobcat "Bail" 7 times on me the same day.It was legal and I was trying to kill it as it was raiding all of the chicken yards in the area.I could never get close enough to shoot before it would bail.

I also had a 19 month old Pit "experienced hog catch dog" lose a eye and the whole right ear to one swipe of a Bobcat it surprised beside of a clean plowed fire break.The dog was walking about 12 feet in front of me and I never lost sight of the dogs hindquarters.The dogs front end disappeared as it "Struck",then yipe.The cat jumped into the fire break and took off.One of the cats claws had started behind the ear close enough to the skull that there was no give.The claws took the ear,eye and about 1/4 of the nose tip.The other paw and claws opened up the right side from jaw bone hinge (I could see it) on out the side of his check,leaving it completely severed out the whole mouth.The tongue was also ripped.I spent over 4 hours stopping the bleeding and sewing up the dog with surgical gut and silk.That cat had it down to perfection.

I have tried to save "gutted" dogs that were foolish enough to roll and top a Bob cat on it's back.You see it done,do your dog a favor and shoot it.

Any dog that comes out slightly wounded or survives a Bobcat or any cat attack is fortunate.I have sewn up my share of house cat wounds on dogs,removed the remains of eyes and asked to revive a grown dead Black and Tan experienced Coon Hound who bled to death from a fight with a house cat it killed.This dog had the scars to prove it was a fighter.The owner never knew it was hurt till a several hours later when it was too late.Freak yea,but the dog was just as dead!Infection is usually worse than the cuts.

I knew a elderly man with no scalp as a kid.He kept it greased with Vaseline and a rolled up silk stocking on his head under a hat.Supposedly he was drinking Shine and Coon hunting with his brother in laws.He made the Shine.They shot a Bobcat out of the tree on to his head.The Brother in laws ran off with his Shine,went home and left him.The women at home got someone to go get him.They say his scalp had died or shrunk to where it would not grow back.They did not have all of the fancy doctoring of today.

This is not the end of this mans story.He went drinking and Coon hunting again with these brothers in law.His shine.The dogs bayed a sow with pigs under a washed in tree along the river bank at low water.This man was Shine brave.Shine brave is the bravest of the brave as we all know!He attempted to catch this sow by the hind legs.The sow caught him by the hind leg.The brothers in law ran off with the Shine again and left him with the hog.Somebody running Cat lines in the river heard the comotion and paddled up the river to check it out.They heard a hog feeding.It was feeding on the leg of this passed out man.They shot the hog and carried him out to a doctor.It seemed that the hog had by some miracle not eaten into a major blood vessel and he lived.The man lost his leg but not his life.

The brothers in law slept the night and most of the next day away in this fellows truck after drinking up all of his liqueur.I remember a little girl asking him if he would go hunting again with his brothers in law.People broke out laughing.It seems as if they all did get drunk and take off hunting one more time.It seems as if the wives and their Momma found out,went looking for,found and utterly beat the fool out of all of the drunk men and brought them home in the back of the pickup truck.They then sold the dogs,their gun and burnt the still.These old men went to church instead of hunting and only fished with the wives along.Teetotalers tried and true as they got a severe beating by 3 wives and momma in law each time they got caught drinking.

I do my very best to obey the law.You have a lesson to learn here.If you do not learn it or ignore it,you will have some very lonely time in jail in your future.If it happens again,it will not be circumstance and accidental.Some things in life are best kept to ones self.Anytime two people know something,it is now public knowledge.Forget this and you will learn it the hard way.

I wish you the very best in life.I have been where you were with the dog.It was not illegal to shoot and I had a "Cat Wise" dog that would run and bay any cat that would run,but would not fight any.

As for the one eyed,one eared,slot nosed Pit.It would bail on any hog in the world but no Cat.He just acted as if they did not exist.He would ignore kittens crawling on him or finely get up and move.You could hardly walk for him under your feet in the woods after that,but this was good manners for a "Catch Dog" as you did not have to fight a eager dog on a lease through the thickets when going to a bayed hog.

I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

13. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I have had a Bobcat "Bail" 7 times on me the same day.It was legal and I was trying to kill it as it was raiding all of the chicken yards in the area.I could never get close enough to shoot before it would bail.

I also had a 19 month old Pit "experienced hog catch dog" lose a eye and the whole right ear to one swipe of a Bobcat it surprised beside of a clean plowed fire break.The dog was walking about 12 feet in front of me and I never lost sight of the dogs hindquarters.The dogs front end disappeared as it "Struck",then yipe.The cat jumped into the fire break and took off.One of the cats claws had started behind the ear close enough to the skull that there was no give.The claws took the ear,eye and about 1/4 of the nose tip.The other paw and claws opened up the right side from jaw bone hinge (I could see it) on out the side of his check,leaving it completely severed out the whole mouth.The tongue was also ripped.I spent over 4 hours stopping the bleeding and sewing up the dog with surgical gut and silk.That cat had it down to perfection.

I have tried to save "gutted" dogs that were foolish enough to roll and top a Bob cat on it's back.You see it done,do your dog a favor and shoot it.

Any dog that comes out slightly wounded or survives a Bobcat or any cat attack is fortunate.I have sewn up my share of house cat wounds on dogs,removed the remains of eyes and asked to revive a grown dead Black and Tan experienced Coon Hound who bled to death from a fight with a house cat it killed.This dog had the scars to prove it was a fighter.The owner never knew it was hurt till a several hours later when it was too late.Freak yea,but the dog was just as dead!Infection is usually worse than the cuts.

I knew a elderly man with no scalp as a kid.He kept it greased with Vaseline and a rolled up silk stocking on his head under a hat.Supposedly he was drinking Shine and Coon hunting with his brother in laws.He made the Shine.They shot a Bobcat out of the tree on to his head.The Brother in laws ran off with his Shine,went home and left him.The women at home got someone to go get him.They say his scalp had died or shrunk to where it would not grow back.They did not have all of the fancy doctoring of today.

This is not the end of this mans story.He went drinking and Coon hunting again with these brothers in law.His shine.The dogs bayed a sow with pigs under a washed in tree along the river bank at low water.This man was Shine brave.Shine brave is the bravest of the brave as we all know!He attempted to catch this sow by the hind legs.The sow caught him by the hind leg.The brothers in law ran off with the Shine again and left him with the hog.Somebody running Cat lines in the river heard the comotion and paddled up the river to check it out.They heard a hog feeding.It was feeding on the leg of this passed out man.They shot the hog and carried him out to a doctor.It seemed that the hog had by some miracle not eaten into a major blood vessel and he lived.The man lost his leg but not his life.

The brothers in law slept the night and most of the next day away in this fellows truck after drinking up all of his liqueur.I remember a little girl asking him if he would go hunting again with his brothers in law.People broke out laughing.It seems as if they all did get drunk and take off hunting one more time.It seems as if the wives and their Momma found out,went looking for,found and utterly beat the fool out of all of the drunk men and brought them home in the back of the pickup truck.They then sold the dogs,their gun and burnt the still.These old men went to church instead of hunting and only fished with the wives along.Teetotalers tried and true as they got a severe beating by 3 wives and momma in law each time they got caught drinking.

I do my very best to obey the law.You have a lesson to learn here.If you do not learn it or ignore it,you will have some very lonely time in jail in your future.If it happens again,it will not be circumstance and accidental.Some things in life are best kept to ones self.Anytime two people know something,it is now public knowledge.Forget this and you will learn it the hard way.

I wish you the very best in life.I have been where you were with the dog.It was not illegal to shoot and I had a "Cat Wise" dog that would run and bay any cat that would run,but would not fight any.

As for the one eyed,one eared,slot nosed Pit.It would bail on any hog in the world but no Cat.He just acted as if they did not exist.He would ignore kittens crawling on him or finely get up and move.You could hardly walk for him under your feet in the woods after that,but this was good manners for a "Catch Dog" as you did not have to fight a eager dog on a lease through the thickets when going to a bayed hog.

I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee